2019 iPhone Models

ddec;n8906507 said:
I'm not shocked by the 5G thing either. Apple was slow with 4G support as well, plus 5G really isn't truly ready yet. The USB C thing drives me crazy though. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've had the X since launch day and the battery isn't so great anymore, so the extra life would be welcome. Also FINALLY they are including a fast charger, at least in the pro models.

Agreed on the USB-C. My Macbook Pro and Ipad use USB-C and it's so convenient and charges FAST. I am really bummed that the iPhone Pro did not switch to it. I hate lightening cables.

wubears71 ;n8906518 said:
AST. I am really bummed that the iPhone Pro did not switch to it. I hate lightening cables.

since they've made the switch to in those other products, it only makes sense. My nexus 6p had usb C and that was 4 years ago. Let's F'n go already.

ddec;n8906521 said:
since they've made the switch to in those other products, it only makes sense. My nexus 6p had usb C and that was 4 years ago. Let's F'n go already.

I believe that Apple has not made the switch due to the connector/circuitry requirements for USB-C vs. Lightening. There is so much tech squeezed in the iPhone that apple prefers to use any bit of extra space for battery. Moving to USB-C (at least at the moment) requires them to sacrifice battery life or size to get it in there since it is slightly larger from both connector and circuits than the Lightening connector - every millimeter counts.

wubears71;n8906527 said:
I believe that Apple has not made the switch due to the connector/circuitry requirements for USB-C vs. Lightening. There is so much tech squeezed in the iPhone that apple prefers to use any bit of extra space for battery. Moving to USB-C (at least at the moment) requires them to sacrifice battery life or size to get it in there since it is slightly larger from both connector and circuits than the Lightening connector - every millimeter counts.

I don't buy that honestly. Not when other companies have had it for close to 5 years now. They have it in other devices. No doubt in my mind this was about cost.

JB;n8906529 said:
I don't buy that honestly. Not when other companies have had it for close to 5 years now. They have it in other devices. No doubt in my mind this was about cost.

I'm just going by what I read from multiple sources. Sure, it's speculation and not directly from Apple.

wubears71;n8906445 said:
I had a bit of an issue in the upgrade process. The Genius Bar replaced my max in March due to a defect. Somehow, the AppleCare+ and the iPhone upgrade program did not transfer to the replacement phone. I spoke with 4 different apple support people that had no clue what to do. Then I emailed Tim Cook. I received a phone call the next day from one of his “executives” and the issue was escalated. It was a bug that could only be fixed by a senior engineer. All was fixed within 1 hour of that call.

So, I’m getting the iPhone 11 pro max in green. I love the upgrade program. I may always have a bill but I always have AppleCare+ and the newest technology for a small monthly fee.

Impressive move, not that surprises me coming from you. Ross Perot always said - You want to get something done - Go right to the top.

JB;n8906529 said:

I think they're a bit "damned if they do, damned if they don't" at this point with the change to USB-C. When they change, people are going to be up in arms that any accessories that use the lightning cable won't work, and I'm not sure you can go from USB-C -> Lightning in every case. A lot of those people might not be "power users" and just be using a phone along with a 5 year old PC with only USB-A ports and no iPad (or the $329 iPad).

Still, I want to see that move, especially on the pro. I'd love to have a single charger for my phone, iPad, and Mac. Heck, the fact that I can't plug my iPhone into my laptop with the cable that comes in the phone box is insane.

Wife and I still both have the 6s. We are definitely overdue for an upgrade (Verizon has been bugging the crap out of us lately), but I can't seem to swallow the ridiculous price tag on these new phones. Neither of us are the kind of people who live and die by our phones, so $1000 seems pretty steep just for a phone.

We're going to have to do something sooner or later, and they're not going to get any cheaper down the road, so we'll probably bite the proverbial bullet and get the 11.

I've had two iPhones now, and both have had the silent switch fail in less than a year. I hope they've gotten better with that.

Anyone know if there is a limit to how many iPhone/iPads you can trade in? I briefly looked at the website but didn't see anything.

I happen to have a few sitting around here at work and while my 7 is still working fine I do notice some weird app shutdowns and whatnot here and there so I have to start thinking about upgrading. What sucks is I have the apple smart battery case so battery life is going to take a hit no matter what I upgrade to so I'm not in a hurry.

Don't think I can move away from android, but that lower price point at least has me intrigued.

wubears71;n8906518 said:
Agreed on the USB-C. My Macbook Pro and Ipad use USB-C and it's so convenient and charges FAST. I am really bummed that the iPhone Pro did not switch to it. I hate lightening cables.

That has less to do with the cable and more to do with the power adapter feeding it. The iPhone 11 Pro will charge faster with the inclusion of an 18w power adapter vs the 5 watt turd they still shovel on everyone.

I carry two I phones (work and personal) my personal is an Iphone 6 with 64G memory. Had it for 3-4 years and its still working just fine. Ive replaced the battery once. My work phone is an Iphone 7 and I hate it. I dont like the new home button and how it doesnt work with gloves.

Im not too motivated to upgrade from my 6 but I am considering switching data plans with verizon and adding a tablet for the kids. a phone upgrade might be included with that switch

Hoosiermess ;n8906588 said:
Anyone know if there is a limit to how many iPhone/iPads you can trade in? I briefly looked at the website but didn't see anything.

I don't think there is as long as the old stuff works.

Snickerdog;n8906701 said:

Thanks, I'll look into it further but that might just push me over the edge for an upgrade.

I really wanted to wait till next year for the upgrade, but naturally, my supposed water-resistant iPhone x did NOT hold up to falling in the pool. Now, looks like I am upgrading and without a phone for the next week. Hoping I will be pleasantly surprised and happy with the iPhone 11 pro. Can't believe apple still hasn't moved to usb-c over the lightning. Apple sure didn't care when they switched to wireless and left my plugin headphones mostly useless. Why worry about the lightning connection now. Plus, no 5G and still have the notch on top of the screen. I would think about leaving apple, but I have so many devices setup with apple tv, watch, ipads, and more in my house.

I had my mind made up. I wasn't going to upgrade to an iPhone 11 Pro. I had come to terms with my decision.

Then I saw the trade-in offers.

And now I'm a lost soul.

golfunfiltered;n8907293 said:
I had my mind made up. I wasn't going to upgrade to an iPhone 11 Pro. I had come to terms with my decision.

Then I saw the trade-in offers.

And now I'm a lost soul.

fomo..

Snickerdog;n8906701 said:

I traded in three iPhones 18 months ago when I got my X which gave me a $510 credit. You'll likely get more if you sell them outright but I didn't want to deal with the hassle when the trade-in at the Apple Store is so easy.

I decided a few months ago that I'd be making the switch from Android (currently using a crappy Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) to Apple when the new line of phones came out. The main reason for the switch is convenience. My computer is a Mac, my wife has an iPhone, and I'm considering an Apple Watch. I can get a new phone every 3 years through work and I became eligible for a new one last month. I'm now trying to choose between the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max.

tahoebum;n8907301 said:
I traded in three iPhones 18 months ago when I got my X which gave me a $510 credit. You'll likely get more if you sell them outright but I didn't want to deal with the hassle when the trade-in at the Apple Store is so easy.

Awesome, thank you for the response! I guess once I find everything and make sure it works I'll be upgrading.

I am trying so very hard not to pre-order that 11 Pro Max. I do have two phones I could trade in also..... UGH

Something seems wrong here...

T-Mobile (our carrier) is offering $500 rebate for trade-in, applied to our bill spread out over 24 months. That's about $21 a month in rebates. Our current phones (XS) plan are $41.67/month per phone (we have 12 payments remaining).

iPhone 11 Pro is $250 down, then $31.25/month.

If my math is right, the rebate discount would mean we'd actually save money if we upgrade compared to doing nothing and continue to pay our current plan.

Am I nuts?

golfunfiltered;n8907350 said:
Something seems wrong here...

T-Mobile (our carrier) is offering $500 rebate for trade-in, applied to our bill spread out over 24 months. That's about $21 a month in rebates. Our current phones (XS) plan are $41.67/month per phone (we have 12 payments remaining).

iPhone 11 Pro is $250 down, then $31.25/month.

If my math is right, the rebate discount would mean we'd actually save money if we upgrade compared to doing nothing and continue to pay our current plan.

Am I nuts?

That's not unusual. For years I would trade in at Best Buy, get new iphones and cases and come out ahead of the upgrade fee (back before they did the payments for phones).

So, I received my iPhone 11 Pro Max today and I only have had it for less than 24hrs, but this may be the best phone I have ever seen.

Sure, it’s not like the phones that come out are worse then the year before, but with all that I read about the iPhone 11 being such a small upgrade the bar was much lower. I was coming from the iPhone X and really had no interest in this years phone, but a little mishap finding out my iPhone wasn’t as water resistant as I had hoped had me upgrading.

my quick review for anyone looking at this years model.

speed: the speed from my just two year old iPhone X and this iPhone 11 is night and day. The iPhone 11 with the new bionic 13 chip is close to twice as fast for me. A larger increase in speed than I expected.

battery: can’t really review this much, but all reports state the new iPhone 11 pro will have 4-5 hours more than my current phone.

looks: I purchased the iPhone 11 pro max. This phone is bigger than I thought. You really need two hands to type as I am doing now. I guess if you have really large hands, but for most like myself you will be holding the phone with both hands as you type.

I purchased the midnight green model. Love the back on this phone. The back has a matte finish and doesn’t show all the fingerprints that my other phone did. As for the green, it is not very noticeable. Looks closer to the space grey unless in certain lights. Love the steel looking case. Looks very premium. I will put a phone case on as I drop my phone way too often to not have one. Yet, I could see why others would like to keep this phone withouta case. It’s that nice looking.

camera: I haven’t taken many pictures to tell the difference except the new night mode. ? WOW. I am incredibly impressed with how well this phone takes pictures inside under lower light.

Here is a picture in my living room with almost no light at all.085EBFD7-0356-4A6F-BF82-54E5726D15C8.jpeg

If I were to take this picture with any other phone, you would barely see any detail. Night mode is a game changer for anyone that takes pictures indoors or at night.

sound: the upgrade in sound is very dramatic. I don’t think the sound is louder, but I do believe the sound has much better sound quality. The tones are sharper and the dynamic range seems better. To a sound newbie it’s tough to explain. But, as soon as you hear a video on YouTube or listen to a radio song, you will understand the sound is better.

All in all I am very impressed. Most have said the upgrade was basically the camera. Yea, the camera got a major upgrade. However, I think this particular model is a much larger upgrade then giving credit for.

Last edited:
Back