2019 Vokey SM7 Wedges in New Slate Blue Finish

Then why offer 3 standard finishes? $50 for chrome or whatever they call the other plating sounds like a good business move!

Because they can. No more, no less.

Plus, I’m sure they have done research as to which finishes would be best put on shelves for purchases, versus wedge works.

Because they can. No more, no less.

Plus, I’m sure they have done research as to which finishes would be best put on shelves for purchases, versus wedge works.

When they used to do the "indigo" wedges, I understood reserving for WW. With a heat treatment, you need to allow for a decent margin of error. Hot bluing, not so much. It's easy to mass run with little to no defects.

Though, now that I think about it - it could solely be due to it's ability to rust. Titleist may be afraid of having a club begin to oxidize on a store shelf. Just like the raw heads.

When they used to do the "indigo" wedges, I understood reserving for WW. With a heat treatment, you need to allow for a decent margin of error. Hot bluing, not so much. It's easy to mass run with little to no defects.

Though, now that I think about it - it could solely be due to it's ability to rust. Titleist may be afraid of having a club begin to oxidize on a store shelf. Just like the raw heads.

Don’t forget about creating demand though, it being limited, probably in their eyes (and probably in reality too) adds demand.

Titleist is wicked smart when it comes to these things. That’s for sure.

Don’t forget about creating demand though, it being limited, probably in their eyes (and probably in reality too) adds demand.

Titleist is wicked smart when it comes to these things. That’s for sure.

I don't know. The copper plated SM6s were limited and they were on the shelves at Golfsmith/Galaxy/DSG, as well as WWGS. They also had a premium price, and I recall several of them being marked down months after not moving.

Perhaps they learned their lesson, and now think they can be successful by limiting where you can get the limited clubs.

With the wear rate and abuse wedges receive, paying a premium for the finish just doesn’t compute for me.

They look awesome. The $50 adder for blue pretty well sucks.

The Nippon Shaft adds about $25 to the order so the blue is about $25 - give or take a few dollars.

Bought a Vokey SM7 with Nippon 125 for $175, you can take it from there.

Last edited:
I nabbed a couple of Slate Blue Vokey wedges off 2nd Swing a couple of weeks ago for the regular SM7 price, new in wrapper. 4 rounds and considerable range time and the finish looks almost new still.

It’s been a while since I played Vokey wedges, I’m really liking the feel, control and spin (new grooves always helps). Probably going to reshaft these with Elevate Tour shafts since I’m loving that shaft, but even after that I’ll have about the same $ in these as MSRP for the Slate Blues.

Back