What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Felt awesome on irons and driver

I need to dig up the reviews but it was a weird release. I think it performed really good for those that put it in play

I need to dig up the reviews but it was a weird release. I think it performed really good for those that put it in play

I haaated it. It was supposed to be a firmer version of the Chrome, which was absurdly spinny around the greens.

I asked my pro to get me some 2020 Chromesoft X with triple track. He said it would be September before he could get them. Sheesh.

If you missed my initial thoughts they are right here:

18 holes and there is a lot to unpack, in a good way.

Tee - This was one spot I had the most concern with. Sitting through the presentation I didn’t know if I had enough SS off the tee to get the benefits this ball provides. I didn’t bring my best tee game today so I got to test out the ball amd how it felt with heel side strikes. First thing I noticed is it felt really firm, like not good firm away from center. So much so I immediately had doubts about it being the ball for me. I made a note and moved on. To my surprise those strikes still had respectable distances, not sure if it’s Mavrik or the ball, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I did manage to hit several center or pretty close and this is where I really enjoyed this ball. I’m finding it hard to describe the feeling, but I like it. The best way to describe it is I didn’t feel it leave the face, it felt that soft. It held the line and got down the fairway in a hurry. I’ll admit Texas roll was at play today, but my carry was there and if I eliminate the longest tee shots, my normal 260-270total was in play today.

Irons - Off the irons is where I really liked these. The 2018 CSX had an audible click off the face and with the 20 CSX I didn’t hear/feel that. I expected some firm/harshness and it wasn’t there. Distances were great, spin was as expected & the ball checked up nicely on approach shots. Similar to the 18CSX, and in spots I spun it back more than the previous version. Really happy with what I saw and I’m glad this part of the ball didn’t fall off.

Wedges - If there is an area I’m critical with a ball , it’s my wedges. I’m pretty aggressive with them in terms of attacking pin placements and don’t like to see a lot of runout. I like minimal roll or one hop and stop. This ball didn’t disappoint. I had a handful of shots from 90yds and in. This ball did all I asked and then some. One par three played 84yds (Hello Caledonia #9).. yes 84 yds & a 3/4 54* was the club of choice. Hit my mark pin high and spun it sideways. Missed the birdie putt, but the ball checked up just fine. Again nothing loss from the previous version and in some cases it’s improved.

Putter - The previous CSX was really firm off the putter face. There was an audible click and it’s something that I hoped would change and it did. I know a milled putter will provide a firm feeling at impact, but the new CSX didn’t feel as harsh. Still firm feeling, but soft at the same time if that makes sense. Overall a great upgrade over the prior version and another aspect I don’t have to worry or question.

Only one round in and I’m trying to temper my expectations, but I’m really happy with the results. Any reservations I had off the tee went away and the 20 CSX outperforms the 18CSX through the rest of the bag. I’m excited to get back out there and put it through the paces again.

I bought some of the original iteration of the Chrome Soft and didn't like them at all! They seemed hard and didn't seem to go anywhere. Was hitting a TM driver at the time. Went through a couple of Cobra King drivers, then earlier this year scored a Callaway Epic Flash driver off the Callaway pre-owned site. Been learning how to set it up and use it. Needed some more pellets for the bag and saw that I had a couple sleeves of those Chrome Softs left, so I threw them in.

All of a sudden my ball flight changed from left to right to right to left. Guess I finally figured out how to set the thing up right, but I also gained a good 20-30 yards in distance! Does anyone think there's anything to the idea that you should hit the ball that has the same name as the clubs you play? Suddenly, these Chrome Softs feel like butter and take off like rockets!

If you missed my initial thoughts they are right here:

18 holes and there is a lot to unpack, in a good way.

Tee - This was one spot I had the most concern with. Sitting through the presentation I didn’t know if I had enough SS off the tee to get the benefits this ball provides. I didn’t bring my best tee game today so I got to test out the ball amd how it felt with heel side strikes. First thing I noticed is it felt really firm, like not good firm away from center. So much so I immediately had doubts about it being the ball for me. I made a note and moved on. To my surprise those strikes still had respectable distances, not sure if it’s Mavrik or the ball, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I did manage to hit several center or pretty close and this is where I really enjoyed this ball. I’m finding it hard to describe the feeling, but I like it. The best way to describe it is I didn’t feel it leave the face, it felt that soft. It held the line and got down the fairway in a hurry. I’ll admit Texas roll was at play today, but my carry was there and if I eliminate the longest tee shots, my normal 260-270total was in play today.

Irons - Off the irons is where I really liked these. The 2018 CSX had an audible click off the face and with the 20 CSX I didn’t hear/feel that. I expected some firm/harshness and it wasn’t there. Distances were great, spin was as expected & the ball checked up nicely on approach shots. Similar to the 18CSX, and in spots I spun it back more than the previous version. Really happy with what I saw and I’m glad this part of the ball didn’t fall off.

Wedges - If there is an area I’m critical with a ball , it’s my wedges. I’m pretty aggressive with them in terms of attacking pin placements and don’t like to see a lot of runout. I like minimal roll or one hop and stop. This ball didn’t disappoint. I had a handful of shots from 90yds and in. This ball did all I asked and then some. One par three played 84yds (Hello Caledonia #9).. yes 84 yds & a 3/4 54* was the club of choice. Hit my mark pin high and spun it sideways. Missed the birdie putt, but the ball checked up just fine. Again nothing loss from the previous version and in some cases it’s improved.

Putter - The previous CSX was really firm off the putter face. There was an audible click and it’s something that I hoped would change and it did. I know a milled putter will provide a firm feeling at impact, but the new CSX didn’t feel as harsh. Still firm feeling, but soft at the same time if that makes sense. Overall a great upgrade over the prior version and another aspect I don’t have to worry or question.

Only one round in and I’m trying to temper my expectations, but I’m really happy with the results. Any reservations I had off the tee went away and the 20 CSX outperforms the 18CSX through the rest of the bag. I’m excited to get back out there and put it through the paces again.

Wait until you step on one off the tee. Give it the beans and find the middle and see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait until you step on one off the tee. Give it the beans and find the middle and see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I “think” I caught one of those today. Took off like a bullet and the one where I mentioned I didn’t even feel contact of it leaving the face of the driver. It’s hard to describe but left me like “damn” that felt sooooo good.

Another thing that popped in my head is how muted it sounds off the driver. I was used to a certain sound with the previous versions and even the 20CS, but the CSX was noticeably more muted.

I “think” I caught one of those today. Took off like a bullet and the one where I mentioned I didn’t even feel contact of it leaving the face of the driver. It’s hard to describe but left me like “damn” that felt sooooo good.

Another thing that popped in my head is how muted it sounds off the driver. I was used to a certain sound with the previous versions and even the 20CS, but the CSX was noticeably more muted.

That’s the one. I told my buddy the same thing on my drive that finished over 300. It had been a while since I’d caught one like that but I barely felt the ball.

I have been using TaylorMade TP5 for number of years. It seemed like the best combination of low spin with the driver, ball flight and spin with irons/wedges. When the 2019 chrome sofWhen the 2019 chrome CSX ♦️ Triple track, I was intrigued by the ball just as much as the TT. And I finally found a ball that was equal to what I wanted out of the golf ball. Equal to tHe TP5. So I’ve been waiting patiently for the 20 CSX to come out. Obviously there is no magic golf ball. We only get out of it what we can put into it. If You don’t hit the center of the face this but still gives you pretty good distance and performance. So it is somewhat forgiving. But when you strike it out of the center of the face that’s when you see this ball do things that not very many other balls can. And isn’t that what we’re looking for… Ultimate performance?

The 2020 CS is definitely an improvement over the previous version. I find it longer and with more spin off the irons and around the green. Based on several comments here about the launch characteristics of the new CSX I hesitate to even try it. Carry is king at the course I play due to damp/wet conditions at 6:30 AM every weekday. It is either due to dew or the course having just been watered. Thus roll is restricted.

After I finished my round today I went back out and played the first 3 holes again and used the 2020 CSX. 1st hole par 4, long drive of the day at 269 left me a wedge in. Little long on the approach but stopped close to the ball mark. 2nd hole par 5 good drive off tee good 3W to short of green. Nice chip that I didn’t throw far enough and ball checked up super quick with a hop and stop. Hole 3 I pulled my tee shot and found the cart path.
9986CE3C-65E4-40BF-8687-E49F95B624F5.jpeg
Pretty durable, just a minor scuff. Still playable

Second round in the books and the CSX has solidified itself as my ball. I’m still amazed I’m able to generate the distance off the tee with this one.i am it a high swing speed player off the tee. If I get into 100mph I’m swinging pretty good. I’m sure my driver is helping here, but I’m seeing some longest tee shots and more consistent tee shots than I have in a while. With Irons, wedges and putter it’s amazing and is greatly improved over the last version. Off the tee Callaway has managed to make this one feel a little softer off the tee without introducing spin.

today I played my home course and I consistently had 1/2 or a full club less for second shots. That’s says a lot about what this one is doing for me off the tee.

I posted this a while back on Twitter. My first round with the 2020 CSX.

E9A79F6C-CE56-4DEC-92A5-0CE8C656779A.jpeg

Found out today that I have enough rewards points for 4 dozen balls.:golf::clapp:

I’m considering the Play Yellow CS as a trial/testing. Pretty sure it’s a bit softer than I like but it’s worth a try.

Put the 2020 CSX TT in play on two holes on Saturday, because I only brought one of them. Absolutely hammered both of them. Ball came out on a mid high trajectory for me and just felt like it was piercing better than its 2018 brethren.

Wedges however need an adjustment period. You can be more aggressive than you’d think with these, and that will take some getting used to. Still, fun to have wedges a little more often into holes vs short irons.

Found out today that I have enough rewards points for 4 dozen balls.:golf::clapp:
I have enough for 3. I am holding out for the CSX to hit their reward site. I was told it would be mid to late July.

The CSX is a good ball. I am not sure it is good enough for me to play it over the Bstone BX ball. But it is good.

I’m considering the Play Yellow CS as a trial/testing. Pretty sure it’s a bit softer than I like but it’s worth a try.
I think you will be surprised a bit. Play it a couple rounds.

Put the 2020 CSX TT in play on two holes on Saturday, because I only brought one of them. Absolutely hammered both of them. Ball came out on a mid high trajectory for me and just felt like it was piercing better than its 2018 brethren.

Wedges however need an adjustment period. You can be more aggressive than you’d think with these, and that will take some getting used to. Still, fun to have wedges a little more often into holes vs short irons.

kinda fun off the tee isn’t it?

I can't repeat the language used, but it was colorfully impressive.

the best way I can describe it is you don’t feel the ball coming off the driver.

The CSX is a good ball. I am not sure it is good enough for me to play it over the Bstone BX ball. But it is good.

Where are you seeing the distinctions?

The 2020 CS is my ball. For the foreseeable future.

But the one round I played the CSX TT, I was impressed. That round just happened to be played on a windy day, and I loved the penetrating flight I saw off the tee. Ball just cut through the wind. On short irons, I didn't notice any change in ball flight compared to the CS. I did hit a few surprisingly long, but I attribute that to a tailwind. Felt good and performed great around the greens. My only qualm was the firmness off the putter. I couldn't adjust all day, and I hit everything just a touch firm, costing me a couple strokes.

Back