What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Along those lines. I haven't seen any significant wear on the cover like others have. At least not any worse than other brands. In fact, it's light years better than the Srixons I had been playing. But, I am not a high spin player either. So, I would assume there is less friction being applied to the cover. Would that account for the different results from player to player?

Its definitely possible. In a controlled setting like the tech studio, the wear on the ball is similar to those with very thin covers over the years. If someone is used to playing a ball with a different style of cover, that may be more noticeable than to others.

i think this is has a few reasons, most of which are just conjecture. with the core issue, and callaway admitting they needed to do better and also talking about how much they invested in the plant and production processes, it seemed reasonable to me that there were qc issues. in a perfect world those would all go away, but not likely. so if we're seeing inconsistent wear from one golfer to the next, it seems like there could be bad runs.

another thing that makes me wonder about production issues is 1) csx was not available to us at the grandaddy even though cs was, 2) iirc csx was delayed in its release, and 3) csx was not widely available upon release (and apparently still isn't widely available). so when one ball is ready but the other isn't, then that ball gets delayed further, then that ball doesn't see mass distribution, it just makes me wonder about production issues.

again, that is 100% conjecture. what i do know is it's a great performer for me, and i'll keep buying it. that is not because of the grandaddy, that is just because it's working so well.
That's pretty solid conjecture about the release timing and availability.

I'd still guess that the differences are more related to swing and turf variances among golfers. I've said that I'm not particularly gentle on them in general (my AoA isn't the average golfer's I don't think), and we definitely have little rocks in the mix here. My new clubs have taken notice. Unfortunately the difference between the CSX and other balls has been fairly drastic for me.

That...and you 5 indexes don’t hit as many trees, sand traps and cart paths as us higher handicap guys 😄
Haha, I hit my fair share of trees this year. Those scuffs I can write off as my own dumb mistake.

I definitely was pleased with the performance of 2020 CSTT, and don't see myself moving off the TT even at the higher price point. That being said, you can count me as one who noticed the durability concerns with this ball. I didn't think it was egregious, and lord knows any ball is going to suffer when it's hitting trees, but it did seem noticeable as compared to other balls. Based on what I'm reading I think I'm going to give the CSX a shot as well.

Then that is on them for making a poor choice I suppose. Like I said, it won't work for everyone. I know @Snickerdog tried the CSX and it just wasn't a fit for him. As far as the last version, they performed fine for me. I played some of my best golf with those balls. I interchanged them with Srixon with no problems. So, I had no issue spending my money on them. That was pre-Grandaddy selection. I won't say that there isn't customer loyalty. Just take a walk through the tall grass just ahead of the tee box and see how many ProV1's you can find.
Yeah, I think @JB pretty effectively shut down the 'uniquely' loyal idea.

I'd still guess that the differences are more related to swing and turf variances among golfers. I've said that I'm not particularly gentle on them in general (my AoA isn't the average golfer's I don't think), and we definitely have little rocks in the mix here. My new clubs have taken notice. Unfortunately the difference between the CSX and other balls has been fairly drastic for me.

and it sucks hitting a good shot, but seeing a big enough gouge and thinking "welp, there goes $4." i've only seen that happen out of bunkers, and fortunately haven't seen it at all in my last few rounds. i just wonder if sometimes there is other debris i'm not aware of.

I am one who does not normally see big differences between different balls on the course. I bought six dozen Srixon balls at the end of 2018 when they had a half price sale. Two dozen each Z-star Z-star XV and Q star tour. I played these balls exclusively in 2019 and 2020 and for me they were interchangeable. Before that I played surlyn covered balls like the Wilson Duo soft and Callaway Supersoft and had no trouble holding greens so I am assuming i generate a lot of spin with irons. I was fortunate enough to be at the Grandaddy this year and heard a lot about the 2020 Chrome Soft balls. I have used the Chrome soft Triple Track ball exclusively for putting since then and absolutely love it but being a cheap azz I had to burn through my remaining stock of Srixon before I could start using them in earnest on the course. Like some other members of our team I did not think the CSX would be for me. Finley said you need 110 plus swing speed to unlock the extra distance potential of the ball. I am 105-110 mph so although I was on the cusp of that I wrote it off as not being right for me.

That all changed last week when I played a round with @mikeg_74. He gave me a sleeve right before we teed off and I put them in play. I was already anxious to give it a try based upon reports of those with 90-100 mph swing speeds seeing distance gains and the spin on full shots and around the green. Thank God Texas has cooled off from the summer heat but that leaves the fairways moist and I am not seeing the big drives of a couple months ago even though I am playing my best golf now and hammering the Std. Mavrik. What I noticed immediately is the bite on approach shots. At the beginning of this novel I am writing I stated that I normally do not see differences between balls, there is a huge difference between this ball and all three Srixons. I have annoyingly started yanking the ball back off the green after hitting a good shot. TBH this will be the only reason I would move away from the CSX if I cannot keep it from spinning back too far. The launch and flight of the CSX is just perfect with driver and holy smokes it is long even without a lot of roll. The greenside spin is unreal and bunker play will be fun after I adjust to trusting it will stop quicker.

I just ordered two dozen CSXTT and have a dozen CSTT to see which will win out. Unfortunately for my wallet Triple Track has made all other golf balls obsolete.

I am seeing absolutely astounding results on course with the csx, even in the cooler temps. Based on Finley’s presentation, I wasn’t even considering trying this ball. Glad I did.

I’ve fallen in love with TT, felt naked without it the other day.

the durability is a major concern, however. I am not in the sand often and don’t tend to hit trees, yet I’m seeing major gouging unlike I’ve seen in any other tour ball. As we’ve said, this is an expensive product, so it sucks to see them beat up so easily. Question going forward is whether I just suck it up and pay the price for it and live with the lack of durability, or move on. The ball is so damn good, I don’t think I can leave it behind.

photo Below is 1-2 bunkers per ball.

View attachment 8971701

The cold weather is where I was surprised. I played in a tournament recently that was at or below freezing(feels like temp) for most of the day and windy. It still went a long way!

The cold weather is where I was surprised. I played in a tournament recently that was at or below freezing(feels like temp) for most of the day and windy. It still went a long way!
I was going to break out some tour b RX for the earlier round the other day - 39* at tee off - and I just couldn’t make myself switch. Ball still performs and flew off woods. Iron distance seemed to drop a touch, but not a ton. It’s a hell of a ball.

I’m pretty sure Callaway was up front about the CSX being more difficult to manufacture and there was this crazy virus that shut things down for an extended period that halted production and distribution.

Cover durability doesn't concern me. I lose balls fast enough that a scratch is only a very temporary problem haha.

I'll take the performance of a thin sticky cover and deal with the odd gouge.

Cover durability doesn't concern me. I lose balls fast enough that a scratch is only a very temporary problem haha.

I'll take the performance of a thin sticky cover and deal with the odd gouge.
This is true, it was 9 holes the CS made it through where I noticed the durability issue. However it did meet two trees during that time :LOL:

I've had my share of cart path gouges and tree rakes with the new CSX, but it essentially turns into my water ball and I roll on. The performance has been outstanding through the bag for me. Just flat out performs. My only gripe with this ball would be on price placement, but that's another conversation. At the end of the day, if it's on par with the industry leader, some might argue it's justified. At the end of the day, I want performance and I'm not seeing balls destroyed after 2 or 3 holes like some others.

I’m struggling to find words or thoughts that haven’t already been shared. Off the tee is really long, great feel and distance control off the irons and whatever “firmness” I felt off the putter is now gone.

it’s going to take something pretty special to get me to consider another golf ball.

Used 2020 Chrome Soft yesterday. Really enjoy it around the green, and really love having triple track available when I want it (usually inside 10 ft). My scrambling with it yesterday was very good, making 6 or 7 clutch up & downs.
Definitely prefer the X off the driver and irons, but the CS gets the job done.

I must have a good batch of CSx. This is the second 18 I've played with it and I smoked a couple trees today as well. Cover still looks great and no real gashes or anything that would stop me from playing it either. I've seen zero durability issues for ones I've played so far,

I have a 2020 CSX ball that has 36 holes of use on it. It has two cart path scuffs but otherwise looks almost new. I retired it to my shag bag but I routinely play balls in worse condition. I put a new ball in play last round and did not hit any cart paths but a few trees may have been assaulted. After a quick wash it looks practically new and will be put back into play next time out.

There are too many reports of CSX durability issues so I know there is something to it but my experience has been very positive. The distance off the tee and the spin on approach and greenside shots is the best I have ever seen. Even if they did show durability issues I would gladly play this ball. Thankfully for me it is a non issue.

I have a 2020 CSX ball that has 36 holes of use on it. It has two cart path scuffs but otherwise looks almost new. I retired it to my shag bag but I routinely play balls in worse condition. I put a new ball in play last round and did not hit any cart paths but a few trees may have been assaulted. After a quick wash it looks practically new and will be put back into play next time out.

There are too many reports of CSX durability issues so I know there is something to it but my experience has been very positive. The distance off the tee and the spin on approach and greenside shots is the best I have ever seen. Even if they did show durability issues I would gladly play this ball. Thankfully for me it is a non issue.
I've experienced the same. If I avoid a cart path off the tee, I see no scuffs. I don't know too many balls that held up to my cart path assaults. LOL!

Just putting this out there, not sure if it's a great deal but most online retailers have the 2020 CS and CSX marked down to $39.99 per dozen if anyone needs to restock.

Played the 2020 CSX today for 9 holes. I normally play the CS and have really enjoyed them. The CSX does not spin as much for me but definitely spun enough for gentle chips and pitches when I needed to hit it close and stick it. Excellent ball and I think I might like it just as much as the CS balls I normally play. They did seem to keep on the right path/line maybe more so than the CS. Great distance on driver and wood shots. No problem putting with the X either. Very nice and soft. I cannot tell you any detriment to playing this ball at all.

Last edited:
I am playing with CSXTT or ERC tomorrow at our AZTHP league Championship. I will decide when I get there to chip. I have been loving the CSX off the tee but have been doing a little better with ERC on my irons. But I haven’t played in over a month, so might use them both tomorrow.

edit to add: The TT on the ball with my TT putter just gives me a ton of confidence inside 10’. Not that I make them all, but I think I am making them all.

Last edited:
I am playing with CSXTT or ERC tomorrow at our AZTHP league Championship. I will decide when I get there to chip. I have been loving the CSX off the tee but have been doing a little better with ERC on my irons. But I haven’t played in over a month, so might use them both tomorrow
Good luck ou!

I am playing with CSXTT or ERC tomorrow at our AZTHP league Championship. I will decide when I get there to chip. I have been loving the CSX off the tee but have been doing a little better with ERC on my irons. But I haven’t played in over a month, so might use them both tomorrow.

edit to add: The TT on the ball with my TT putter just gives me a ton of confidence inside 10’. Not that I make them all, but I think I am making them all.
Play well, you will do great.

I started yesterdays round with a 2020 CSXTT that had 157 strokes during 36 holes on it. It had one small mark on the TT lines but was in near perfect condition otherwise. That same ball performed great with three gps measured drives over 280 and spun back from the ball mark on approach shots. I hit it into the water on hole 18 yesterday but it had just gave me one of those big drives and a close approach on hole 17. I was going to wash it with soap and water and determine if a fourth round was in its future. The performance of this ball is exceptional from driver to putter for me and the durability is not an issue at all.

I really regret not trying these out this year but that's what happens when you buy a bulk order of golf balls.
I liked the lower spin the older Chrome Soft gave me so I'll be interested in what this ball does this coming season.

Back