2020 Olympics in jeopardy of being canceled

It's not the same but similar... when the US boycotted the 1980 olympics. Some athletes dreams were crushed after years of training all because of political reasons.

Hopefully this won't happen again. It would suck to train your whole life for a single competition & then be told "Sorry. You can't go now." That would be a bitter pill.

Oh I very much agree. That boycott was terrible and destroyed the dreams of dozens of athletes.

I truly hope they don't cancel it. We need to see an Olympics contested in the summer! It's been too long since London.

From what I have seen, the Olympics should try to change venues now if at all possible. I can guess it would be almost impossible to change and canceling will really hurt the economy of the city expecting to host. But, if you were one of the athletes would you attend. Unless this was my only shot of ever going, I would skip it.

From what I have seen, the Olympics should try to change venues now if at all possible. I can guess it would be almost impossible to change and canceling will really hurt the economy of the city expecting to host. But, if you were one of the athletes would you attend. Unless this was my only shot of ever going, I would skip it.

Gotta think it's nearly impossible, logistically, to canx at this point.

Maybe this is a sign. Should they explore having an alternate location designated ahead of time? Maybe have the 2024 location be alternate for the 2020, 2028 for 2024, etc?

I’m very patriotic, but I could care less as the Olympics seem like a phenomenal waste of money and resources.

I must not be alone since 100 million Americans tuned into the Super Bowl, but only 26 million Americans tuned into the Rio Olympics opening ceremony. With the total viewership in the billions, the Olympics must be much more important to other countries.

1944 Olympics in London were canceled due to WWII

I would postpone it a year and by then this virus outbreak should be long gone.

As @tahoebum stated, if uncertainty exists at this point, time to move on to plan B. Cancelling it should not be an option if viable alternatives exist.

The Chinese Rowers are already here training in Austin, tx

Is it bad if i say that I would hate to see a Summer Games Cancelled more than a Winter? But I would not miss it much if they did cancel it.

If they moved it I would have to say, please don't bring it here.....

I’m very patriotic, but I could care less as the Olympics seem like a phenomenal waste of money and resources.

I must not be alone since 100 million Americans tuned into the Super Bowl, but only 26 million Americans tuned into the Rio Olympics opening ceremony. With the total viewership in the billions, the Olympics must be much more important to other countries.

Who cares about the opening ceremony, though, really?

Billions? Really? Are you saying that 2,000,000,000+ people watched the opening ceremony or all the events combine? What's that? Like 1/4 of the earth's population? Something doesn't add up.

So, just a quick search shows:

Globally, more than 1.4 billion households now own at least one TV set, representing 79 percent of total households; the report notes that “virtually all” households in the developed world now own a TV set while 69 percent own at least one set in developing countries. In Africa in particular, fewer than a third of the households own a TV set; one of the main reasons for the low rate is the limited access to electricity.

The amount of homes that don't own a TV has at least doubled since 2009. According to the USEI survey, 2.6% of American homes didn't have a TV in 2015. That's a huge increase from the 1.3% of American homes that didn't have a television in 2009.

If 1.4B households have a TV, then I'm not sure how to quantify that 2B+ people watched something? Also interesting, US TV ownership is going down.

Is it bad if i say that I would hate to see a Summer Games Cancelled more than a Winter? But I would not miss it much if they did cancel it.

Well, the Rio Olypmics were contested during the winter and they did pretty well.

So, just a quick search shows:

If 1.4B households have a TV, then I'm not sure how to quantify that 2B+ people watched something? Also interesting, US TV ownership is going down.
It said total viewership. I don't know why you're looking up number of TV sets. 1st thing I found:

47926ad044d2db8cb363652d49858101.jpg

It said total viewership. I don't know why you're looking up number of TV sets. 1st thing I found:

47926ad044d2db8cb363652d49858101.jpg

Because I don't know how to quantify how many people were watching those TVs.

I still think that 3.6B number seems very high. How are these numbers calculated anyway?

By Olympic time, every Nation will have been infected. Just the reality of the modern world how connected we are. People will not stop traveling and will insist on returning home and work with potential infection.

By Olympic time, every Nation will have been infected. Just the reality of the modern world how connected we are. People will not stop traveling and will insist on returning home and work with potential infection.
Has Madagascar shut down it's boarders yet?

ESPN : DJ says he's out, due to the compressed schedule.

Last edited:
Once some of the athletes decided to go SJW.....they totally lost me

Back