2021 devices, apps for gps, shot tracking: etc. iOS, android, wearable?

Thanks for this. this doesn't seem as bad as I remember. lol
I tried to slow down my process for the video, let my buddy play his hole, and having to video on top of it so definitely took a little time. I would do it a little differently if I did it again, but that's the thing - if it takes away from something in any one moment, stop doing it. Lol. Just default to adding your score at the end, which takes no time at all, and everyone is already done with the hole.

We golfers tend to try to get things right and frustrate ourselves more than we need to. And I definitely got frustrated a time or two figuring it out, but I wanted to get it right once I saw what the data started looking like. I don't get every shot still. I tap the wrong club, or get distracted by some partner awesomeness, etc., and you can't go back to redo it, so I just tap the the gps off in the upper right, and get the next one, or add score at the end. Worst case, adding at the end you still get your FIR, direction, GIR, scrambling, penalties, putts, etc and on which hole. So thegribt will still give you stats on how you play that hole over time, number of penalties and where they occur, fairways you hit on par 4's vs 5's, directions you miss par 3's, scramble and sand save percentages on those, and countless other things. And if you like all that, golferness tends to take over and you want ALL OF IT to be right, every time. Lol. And it's pretty awesome tracking data once you get it going.

Pushcart guys with a phone mount have it easy, but never forget that if you're tracking and you forgot to take your phone out on the way to your ball and it's taking a bit (the gps signal is actually the worst at the course I did that at than any other in the area) just set your phone down near your ball while you fix your mark, read your putt, and wait for who's going first. Or even all of it. Sometimes I leave it lay and pick it up as we're walking off. Might be dicey at first, but when you're in the habit of entering your score on it, or anyone else's, you're not gonna leave it behind.

Last edited:
@OldandStiff , is the Grint's $39.99 Yearly Pro Plan all that's needed for club tracking and stats?
I believe so. Once you're 'pro' you do have access to all that. I don't have my handicap through them so that might be separate now. They've changed some things, and I honestly don't remember well what the free features were and what the pro features are very well at this point. Mine's been pro for quite a while.

Thanks @OldandStiff for the video. I used theGrint last year and this morning in my first round of 2021. I was wondering how the proximity data was supposed to work if it didn't know where the pin was. I will play around a little more with the Advanced tracking to get it down pat.

Thanks!

I have a laser, but most of my rounds just use a bushnell phantom. The last 2 rounds I used nothing at all, and it was liberating. It was on a course I know very well though, so I really don’t need any distance devices to help out.

For some that are looking at a good putting trainer and will work for all clubs, the blast sensor is well worth the look.

I'm an Arccos guy, got the setup last year and also picked up a Link for a very good price online. They have released a couple of updates recently which seem to have ironed out a couple of the bugs and it would have worked flawlessly last round out had I not run out of charge on about hole 6.

But I am liking what I see of the Grint though. We were talking about it in the MC chat and that seems to be most people's go to. Had a look around it and seems excellent, will probably give it a better look going forwards.

Finally got to use my Garmin S62 yesterday and gave the score tracking function a go as there was just myself and Jen playing

It gives slightly more information than my old Garmin did, and if it builds the stats over multiple rounds it could give me some useful info - the usual FIR and GIR but also the percentage of fairways missed left/right etc

I will be interested to see how the stat tracking builds up over time as I record the information

IMG_20210406_201331.jpg

Data is coming!

Finally got to use my Garmin S62 yesterday and gave the score tracking function a go as there was just myself and Jen playing

It gives slightly more information than my old Garmin did, and if it builds the stats over multiple rounds it could give me some useful info - the usual FIR and GIR but also the percentage of fairways missed left/right etc

I will be interested to see how the stat tracking builds up over time as I record the information

Just curious, but do you have the CT10 sensors? If not, how do you track your chip shots?

I used it for the first time this past weekend. Pitch shots often registered, but chips did not. The way the auto tracking works, it 'detects' a shot, then when you go hit your next shot, it 'detects' that shot, and so it registers that as the 'end' of the previous shot.

So case in point. Let's say I hit a PW, but i'm 3 feet off the green. Then I hit a chip. It doesn't register. The only way for it to know where my PW ended up is to go through the 'missed last shot' routine from where I hit my chip shot. So now I've hit my chip shot, but it has no idea where the chip shot ended, unless I go through the same 'missed last shot' routine with the putt I just hit.

Is there a better way to account for chips? Should I just put in the number of strokes and putts, and know that one of those was a chip? Am I missing something?

~Rock

Just curious, but do you have the CT10 sensors? If not, how do you track your chip shots?

I used it for the first time this past weekend. Pitch shots often registered, but chips did not. The way the auto tracking works, it 'detects' a shot, then when you go hit your next shot, it 'detects' that shot, and so it registers that as the 'end' of the previous shot.

So case in point. Let's say I hit a PW, but i'm 3 feet off the green. Then I hit a chip. It doesn't register. The only way for it to know where my PW ended up is to go through the 'missed last shot' routine from where I hit my chip shot. So now I've hit my chip shot, but it has no idea where the chip shot ended, unless I go through the same 'missed last shot' routine with the putt I just hit.

Is there a better way to account for chips? Should I just put in the number of strokes and putts, and know that one of those was a chip? Am I missing something?

~Rock
No, I don't have the sensors in my clubs, I only use the scoring function on my watch, so enter the fairway left and right missed accordingly during the round which then gives the stats on the watch

I haven't gone into how much information is recorded when looking at my Garmin Connect account online yet

I got a one week trial version of The Grint Pro license and used in several holes Sunday. I don't know that I'll be upgrading for the year - at least not yet. I like the gps yardage feature. That seems to work very well. But I'm not sure how to take advantage of the club data feature.

For the last 4 or 5 years I'd been using a free version of Game Golf. Instead of using the tags, I simply manually select a club before every shot.
While it did a decent job of the recorded data and providing analysis, uploading the data from the phone has become erratic for the last year. Still, I was pretty spoiled by the ease of the app. As was usually the case throughout the round, I would miss a tag. When I'd get home, I could easily edit the round and add the shot with whatever club I used and from where that shot was taken on the course.

I did contact The Grint and their customer service was very responsive. But I was told as of now the club data cannot be edited. For example, if I miss the club selection on a shot, I cannot go back in and add that shot as I could with Game Golf. I can only add or subtract a stroke or modify whether or not I hit a fairway or a green. Maybe someone can confirm that to be correct?

Not sure if it's just me being ignorant or if the features are as limited as they seem... probably the former. I'm kind of bummed because I like using the app to track my handicap and as mentioned above, I like the GPS. The "Pro" membership is only $39 per year.

I'm still enjoying Arccos. Besides the size of the screw-in sensors, I love every other aspect. It's easy enough to use and gives me a ton of data to sift through! Ideally I would like not to have my phone in my pocket, but I've been getting used to that as well. It actually makes things easier sometimes when I'm tracking putts.

I got a one week trial version of The Grint Pro license and used in several holes Sunday. I don't know that I'll be upgrading for the year - at least not yet. I like the gps yardage feature. That seems to work very well. But I'm not sure how to take advantage of the club data feature.

For the last 4 or 5 years I'd been using a free version of Game Golf. Instead of using the tags, I simply manually select a club before every shot.
While it did a decent job of the recorded data and providing analysis, uploading the data from the phone has become erratic for the last year. Still, I was pretty spoiled by the ease of the app. As was usually the case throughout the round, I would miss a tag. When I'd get home, I could easily edit the round and add the shot with whatever club I used and from where that shot was taken on the course.

I did contact The Grint and their customer service was very responsive. But I was told as of now the club data cannot be edited. For example, if I miss the club selection on a shot, I cannot go back in and add that shot as I could with Game Golf. I can only add or subtract a stroke or modify whether or not I hit a fairway or a green. Maybe someone can confirm that to be correct?

Not sure if it's just me being ignorant or if the features are as limited as they seem... probably the former. I'm kind of bummed because I like using the app to track my handicap and as mentioned above, I like the GPS. The "Pro" membership is only $39 per year.
Correct. You can't 'add' a tracked shot after the fact. You could add a stroke. Like add to your score, # of putts, etc, but not one that would be in the tracked shots data. Has to be done during. My instinct is that if you could just add in a shot later, people would abuse that feature and take value away from the collected data.

If you miss tracking a shot (or selected the wrong club, I do occasionally when I rush) it's done. Unless no one is behind you I suppose. You could go back to the spot quick and hit track again and go back up to your ball. If I get to my ball and realize I didn't get it I just let it go. If I tapped the wrong club, I just exit the tracking and it's lost instead of logging one incorrectly.

I would suggest the V1 golf app. You can edit to your hearts content post round

Back