2023-2024 College Football Thread

Hope the big 12 and ACC push for a new march madness where big 12 and ACC get 9 locked in and sec/big10 get 2 each.
That would make sense if the SEC wasn’t the best basketball conference now.

Cash money, homey.
That’s why they’d want it. But the idea of guaranteed spots and byes is laughably opposite the entire premise of the CFP

That would make sense if the SEC wasn’t the best basketball conference now.
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

This will grind some gears.

This will grind some gears.

Can't support having Rutgers, Vandy, and Maryland in there. There are other schools that can take those spots that would still be bottom feeders but not the dregs (Arizona, Colorado, Wazzu)

This seems closer to what it lands to me. Unless they kick out some current members.

Neither taking Duke would be a shocker. Even for basketball alone.

I think they have to look at football only being out of the NCAA. Basketball can stay under NCAA rule.

I think when this happens it will be football only and the schools will smarten up and move all their other sports back to the regional set ups of 10-12 schools.

This seems closer to what it lands to me. Unless they kick out some current members.

Again I would argue you have to take out Vandy, Rutgers, Maryland.....and now looking more at it Indiana and Northwestern. TCU and Cincy should get in over those schools. Then you have the debate of Arizona and ASU. I totally get Colorado being a fringe school. Stanford also fringe.

Again I would argue you have to take out Vandy, Rutgers, Maryland.....and now looking more at it Indiana and Northwestern. TCU and Cincy should get in over those schools. Then you have the debate of Arizona and ASU. I totally get Colorado being a fringe school. Stanford also fringe.
Totally agree on the fringe big 10/sec schools. I think they take the stance that we’re the big boys and protect our own though.

Arizona and ASU and Colorado are floor mats. They don’t deserve any sniff at a the table in a super league. TCU definitely does.

Totally agree on the fringe big 10/sec schools. I think they take the stance that we’re the big boys and protect our own though.

Arizona and ASU and Colorado are floor mats. They don’t deserve any sniff at a the table in a super league. TCU definitely does.
But Coach Prime!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!!

It can't be called a super league with Vandy and Rutgers involved. Rutgers and Maryland don't have a long history with B1G so they don't need to protect them. Vandy is an embarrassment.

The east coast bias in the media is showing.
The big12 one is just wrong. KSU might be the least desirable of the whole group. Utah and osu also being bottom half of the group. (Being the second school in a tiny state isn’t a good thing). TCU has the least money behind them of the 4 other Texas schools now. They get defaulted in by the east coast media because of “dfw market” when in reality they are behind ut, aggy, tech, OU, Baylor, arky, lsu and probably a couple others in alumni and market share in dfw. 10 years from now Houston will be a no brainer now that we elevated them to this level. Right now it’s still iffy.

It’ll be interesting where the line is drawn.

If you’re going to try to make a break off league. At least blow it up and redraft per say

The entire premise of those tweets is flawed.

The ACC and B12 have media deals and their schools have GOR agreements. Those don't just go away because the other 2 conferences leave the NCAA. FSU estimates their exit fees will be 500M to the ACC. Those obligations don't evaporate. There isn't enough money in the new entity to cover those expenses.

Even if the SEC/B1G leave the NCAA they are not absolved of Title 9 obligations. Title 9 applies to schools that receive federal money, not schools who play under the NCAA banner. Everyone needs an anti-trust exemption to make anything happen. Consider how dysfunctional our government is generally. Consider how much of a political hot potato it will be to get legislation passed which enables monetary discrimination against women. Democrats and women from both parties could virtually never vote for that.

I think when this happens it will be football only and the schools will smarten up and move all their other sports back to the regional set ups of 10-12 schools.
Regional setups make so much sense, Chip Kellys thoughts on conference expansion made so much sense when talking about the travelling, etc. After that presser, I knew he was done with being a head coach.

The east coast bias in the media is showing.
The big12 one is just wrong. KSU might be the least desirable of the whole group. Utah and osu also being bottom half of the group. (Being the second school in a tiny state isn’t a good thing). TCU has the least money behind them of the 4 other Texas schools now. They get defaulted in by the east coast media because of “dfw market” when in reality they are behind ut, aggy, tech, OU, Baylor, arky, lsu and probably a couple others in alumni and market share in dfw. 10 years from now Houston will be a no brainer now that we elevated them to this level. Right now it’s still iffy.

It’ll be interesting where the line is drawn.

If you’re going to try to make a break off league. At least blow it up and redraft per say
4 regional super conferences makes the most sense for me.

4 regional super conferences makes the most sense for me.
Why 4 though? The small regional conferences make so much more sense. Football has left the station but the rest of the schools should be in conferences closer to 1998 than even 2015. Basketball has the NCAA tourney and you can figure that out. Maybe they separate too but for every other sport it is dumb to be playing schools in other timezones until NCAA tourneys.

Why 4 though? The small regional conferences make so much more sense. Football has left the station but the rest of the schools should be in conferences closer to 1998 than even 2015. Basketball has the NCAA tourney and you can figure that out. Maybe they separate too but for every other sport it is dumb to be playing schools in other timezones until NCAA tourneys.
4 conferences, 2 divisions each.

8 teams per divisions in regional setup.

64 teams total.

64 teams total.
Oh, yeah, this makes perfect sense. I wasn't doing this math in the 4 conferences. I mean this should have always been what the Power 5 did rather than poaching from each other.

64 teams total.
@baylrballa read my mind.

Yeah, I always thought this was the best route. It basically gets us back to the 1990 regional conferences which is fun to me. I just wasn't doing the division math. I was wanted the divisions to be the conferences but that is semantics.

Back