Had another good round putting with the Versa. Made 3 putts of 10+ feet and overall really good with distance control.

After switching to my Toulon Palm Beach for a while, I finally got my arccos situation sorted and decided to throw the Odyssey Versa 3T back in the bag. Played 36 holes this weekend, and had 2 3 putts all weekend.... better than the previous round I played where I had 6.... So definitely pleased with this putter.

The shape and color makes it so easy to line up and not sure if the insert got me a little more comfortable being aggressive in my stroke. Happy to have this back in the bag.

@xThor I spent some more time with the Versa 12 CS. I really really like the roll I put on it. I see myself in something similar come December.

My wallet is happy that it was a 35”. Instead of a 34 or 33. As it stayed at the store.
But with all this Jailbird crazy and the fact that I choke down on a putter a lot anyway…I’m thinking long grip on a 35 ???

I can’t wait for a proper fitting in Carlsbad.

@xThor I spent some more time with the Versa 12 CS. I really really like the roll I put on it. I see myself in something similar come December.

My wallet is happy that it was a 35”. Instead of a 34 or 33. As it stayed at the store.
But with all this Jailbird crazy and the fact that I choke down on a putter a lot anyway…I’m thinking long grip on a 35 ???

I can’t wait for a proper fitting in Carlsbad.

we can look at some potential options in a week too :unsure:;)

6 month update – Odyssey Versa Twelve – Center Shaft

2023-Odyssey-White-Hot-Versa-Twelve-7.jpeg

After six months of using the Odyssey Twelve in center shaft, I wanted to give my thoughts on this putter. I will try to be concise, but there is really a lot I want to touch on.

I have played Odyssey putters for many years at this point, but with my Lunatic Fringe tendencies, I have also dabbled outside of Odyssey but always came back quickly. Most recently, prior to the Odyssey Versa Twelve I played the Odyssey TEN with micro hinge face and loved it. I bought the ELEVEN and used it for a period but went back to the TEN. I honestly didn’t think I would ever move away from the TEN because I loved it so much. I still do. However, along came the Greatest Amateur Golf Event – The Grandaddy and I was blessed to have the opportunity to get fit for a new putter (and much more :) - Thank you THP, Callaway, @JB and @GolferGal ). With this came a fitting by the best in the business and an introduction to a game changer for me and it happened to be center shafted.

Alignment

I have struggled with putting alignment for basically my adult life. Partially my vision sucks and when I got contacts, that helped a lot. Along with a game changing video I saw, a lesson and the Versa Twelve things have been great. I find the alignment very easy with the Twelve and the mix of large white stripe and small black line really gets the line I am after. I really like the contrast. It pops on the greens, even in bright sun light. It is just so easy.

Center Shaft

In no way had I ever considered a center shafted putter. It was only because I had time before being fit that I was rolling many different putters and found myself not wanting to move on from the CS TWELVE. It just kept going in the hole in the studio and I figured ‘why not’? I went with it and am SO glad I did. I get it that Center Shaft isn’t for everyone, but I also thought the same thing until I gave it a chance. For me, I find the angles just line up perfect to my eye and it just seems natural now. I am a big fan of the CS putter now.

Fitting

This may be the most important part of this entire write up. The fitting. I had never been fit for a putter before this. Amazing, the club we use every hole and the most in a round and not have been fit. This just doesn’t make sense. I would highly recommend getting fit for putter, just like all our other clubs. Turns out that the fitting gave me a fit of 32 ½” length, 69 degree lie, 3 degrees of loft. It really does make a difference being fit. Consistency goes through the roof. Moreover, it can also uncover path, strike, roll, etc that you might not otherwise understand. I found that I had slight side spin and the fitter explained it was based on path – therefore he gave me a small tip to have my takeaway slightly more ‘outward’. It is something I think about on every putt now and this has helped a lot.

Overall

For me, the VERSA TWELVE is summed up in three words – Solid, Balance and Stability. In my opinion, putter feel is in the swing and impact. With the swing, I feel like the face just stays in line with my desired direction/line. It is very balanced and the face just wants to stay square. This gives me so much confidence. With respect to stability, the balance enhances the square strike of the ball and feels rock solid. The ball is rolling forward immediately. I think it is not just one thing, but rather a combination of things that provide the overall feel. Moving from the micro hinge face on the TEN that I liked so much, there definitely was a ‘getting used to’ period with distance control. Once I moved past this and really started understanding this putter, it has been amazing. I love this putter. The numbers of 2 and 3 putts have drastically declined and my confidence putting has never been higher. I no longer fear the 2-3ft putt, I welcome it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully it gives a decent picture of what the Odyssey VERSA Twelve is to me and how it has impacted my game. Cheers and thanks to my 2022 Grandaddy teammates for everything. @Hibs @Tevenor @PackersGirl @captaincaution @mancest @Saywhat4412 @drp3434 @PKorf @Doubleb21 @fuffle master @goalie @Kodi'aK

Unknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpegUnknown-3.jpegUnknown-5.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpegUnknown-6.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 9206052

After six months of using the Odyssey Twelve in center shaft, I wanted to give my thoughts on this putter. I will try to be concise, but there is really a lot I want to touch on.

I have played Odyssey putters for many years at this point, but with my Lunatic Fringe tendencies, I have also dabbled outside of Odyssey but always came back quickly. Most recently, prior to the Odyssey Versa Twelve I played the Odyssey TEN with micro hinge face and loved it. I bought the ELEVEN and used it for a period but went back to the TEN. I honestly didn’t think I would ever move away from the TEN because I loved it so much. I still do. However, along came the Greatest Amateur Golf Event – The Grandaddy and I was blessed to have the opportunity to get fit for a new putter (and much more :) - Thank you THP, Callaway, @JB and @GolferGal ). With this came a fitting by the best in the business and an introduction to a game changer for me and it happened to be center shafted.

Alignment

I have struggled with putting alignment for basically my adult life. Partially my vision sucks and when I got contacts, that helped a lot. Along with a game changing video I saw, a lesson and the Versa Twelve things have been great. I find the alignment very easy with the Twelve and the mix of large white stripe and small black line really gets the line I am after. I really like the contrast. It pops on the greens, even in bright sun light. It is just so easy.

Center Shaft

In no way had I ever considered a center shafted putter. It was only because I had time before being fit that I was rolling many different putters and found myself not wanting to move on from the CS TWELVE. It just kept going in the hole in the studio and I figured ‘why not’? I went with it and am SO glad I did. I get it that Center Shaft isn’t for everyone, but I also thought the same thing until I gave it a chance. For me, I find the angles just line up perfect to my eye and it just seems natural now. I am a big fan of the CS putter now.

Fitting

This may be the most important part of this entire write up. The fitting. I had never been fit for a putter before this. Amazing, the club we use every hole and the most in a round and not have been fit. This just doesn’t make sense. I would highly recommend getting fit for putter, just like all our other clubs. Turns out that the fitting gave me a fit of 32 ½” length, 69 degree lie, 3 degrees of loft. It really does make a difference being fit. Consistency goes through the roof. Moreover, it can also uncover path, strike, roll, etc that you might not otherwise understand. I found that I had slight side spin and the fitter explained it was based on path – therefore he gave me a small tip to have my takeaway slightly more ‘outward’. It is something I think about on every putt now and this has helped a lot.

Overall

For me, the VERSA TWELVE is summed up in three words – Solid, Balance and Stability. In my opinion, putter feel is in the swing and impact. With the swing, I feel like the face just stays in line with my desired direction/line. It is very balanced and the face just wants to stay square. This gives me so much confidence. With respect to stability, the balance enhances the square strike of the ball and feels rock solid. The ball is rolling forward immediately. I think it is not just one thing, but rather a combination of things that provide the overall feel. Moving from the micro hinge face on the TEN that I liked so much, there definitely was a ‘getting used to’ period with distance control. Once I moved past this and really started understanding this putter, it has been amazing. I love this putter. The numbers of 2 and 3 putts have drastically declined and my confidence putting has never been higher. I no longer fear the 2-3ft putt, I welcome it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully it gives a decent picture of what the Odyssey VERSA Twelve is to me and how it has impacted my game. Cheers and thanks to my 2022 Grandaddy teammates for everything. @Hibs @Tevenor @PackersGirl @captaincaution @mancest @Saywhat4412 @drp3434 @PKorf @Doubleb21 @fuffle master @goalie @Kodi'aK

View attachment 9206053View attachment 9206054View attachment 9206055View attachment 9206056
View attachment 9206057View attachment 9206058
Nice writeup and glad you found a gamer that works for you. (I cannot wait for my own fitting). I didn't get fit for my Versa, but rolled almost every Odyssey putter in the lineup at Golf Galaxy and found the putter I could start and remain online the longest was the 1#. The alignment has made the biggest difference for me. It makes it so easy to line up and check that I am square. The other thing is I feel like I'm in complete control with the putter--the weight just works for me.

Nice writeup and glad you found a gamer that works for you. (I cannot wait for my own fitting). I didn't get fit for my Versa, but rolled almost every Odyssey putter in the lineup at Golf Galaxy and found the putter I could start and remain online the longest was the 1#. The alignment has made the biggest difference for me. It makes it so easy to line up and check that I am square. The other thing is I feel like I'm in complete control with the putter--the weight just works for me.
Thanks, sir. Totally. You said it, its the control and thats a great way to describe it for me as well.

For me the fitting portion was interesting, you go in groups of 4, and are in a room filled with putters. not going first I tried out all the putters that caught my eye and went to the actual fitting portion with 2 but asked our master fitter if I should look at anything else. Luckily either could have worked, but once we got on the machines then we dialed in loft/length/lie.

For me the fitting portion was interesting, you go in groups of 4, and are in a room filled with putters. not going first I tried out all the putters that caught my eye and went to the actual fitting portion with 2 but asked our master fitter if I should look at anything else. Luckily either could have worked, but once we got on the machines then we dialed in loft/length/lie.
I bet you felt like a kid in the candy store.

Agree, pearl for '23 team, don't go first and roll a bunch of putters. lol. I saw your fitting and honestly everything you were rolling was going in from long range.

I bet you felt like a kid in the candy store.

Honestly it was almost overwhelming at first, then you start rolling the putters (I really wanted to love the 12, but the 3T spoke to me and I had to try the rossie as I love that shape) the dream state briefly subsides and got focused on the task at hand.

Honestly it was almost overwhelming at first, then you start rolling the putters (I really wanted to love the 12, but the 3T spoke to me and I had to try the rossie as I love that shape) the dream state briefly subsides and got focused on the task at hand.
That's good to know. I have something that works well now, but always open to trying something completely different, which might be my problem, ha.

That's good to know. I have something that works well now, but always open to trying something completely different, which might be my problem, ha.

Yeah, let someone else in your pod go first and see what you like of what is available (I am guessing a LOT) will be available). For me I wanted to love the new mallet options as @Luke WilliamsCG has told me a few times that Mallets are the best. I have played more of a blade with some booty (Toulon Palm Beach) and ended up with a smaller mallet.

But to be fair, the recent odyssey blades have so much MOI that they play like a lot of other mallets in the forgiveness realm.

One thing our fitter said (and what I have felt for a long time on all clubs) is if you don't like looking down at it you won't want to keep playing it. I am going to leave any inappropriate jokes out here....

Yeah, let someone else in your pod go first and see what you like of what is available (I am guessing a LOT) will be available). For me I wanted to love the new mallet options as @Luke WilliamsCG has told me a few times that Mallets are the best. I have played more of a blade with some booty (Toulon Palm Beach) and ended up with a smaller mallet.

But to be fair, the recent odyssey blades have so much MOI that they play like a lot of other mallets in the forgiveness realm.

One thing our fitter said (and what I have felt for a long time on all clubs) is if you don't like looking down at it you won't want to keep playing it. I am going to leave any inappropriate jokes out here....
I prefer inappropriate, but thats me.

View attachment 9206052

Alignment

Center Shaft

Fitting

Overall

View attachment 9206053View attachment 9206054View attachment 9206055View attachment 9206056
View attachment 9206057View attachment 9206058
One more thing I should have added in here is the Stroke Lab shaft. I do think there is absolutely something to the stability of the shaft. Just another piece to a great puzzle. Alright. Now I am done with the write up.

One more thing I should have added in here is the Stroke Lab shaft. I do think there is absolutely something to the stability of the shaft. Just another piece to a great puzzle. Alright. Now I am done with the write up.
Keep going, ha. I think there is something to be said for the stability shaft as well, especially on shorts putts.

Thanks to THP knowledge (right hand, left eye) and the fitting chops of @xThor, I spent some quality time with a Versa 12 CS. Things went so well that I ordered on of these as soon as I got home from the trip.

build: 34", 1 flat, SuperStroke Tour XL 2.0.

Thanks to THP knowledge (right hand, left eye) and the fitting chops of @xThor, I spent some quality time with a Versa 12 CS. Things went so well that I ordered on of these as soon as I got home from the trip.

Kinda figured we were going to see you in this thread pretty soon. :LOL:

Kinda figured we were going to see you in this thread pretty soon. :LOL:
this will be the second longest week....waiting for it to arrive.

Heck yes. Welcome to the Versa family.

Just keep draining them buddy!!!

Just keep draining them buddy!!!
That’s the plan. The EXO seven is going back to CPO. Along with my Epic Flash driver.

I played 27 yesterday in a member guest and the Versa was an absolute monster for me. Fantastic with speed control and money from shorter range.

If you had told me in the beginning of the year that I was going to be playing a blade and putting better than I have in a long, long time, I would have laughed. The Versa #1 has been a wonderful surprise. I’ve touched on it in some previous posts, which can be found a few pages back, that the Versa alignment works as described and for someone who struggles with alignment and has a natural tendency to set up with a closed face with a putter, the black/white color scheme is a simple and effective visual cue to check for those two things before pulling the trigger.

I touched on it earlier that my putting statistics have noticeably improved since making the switch. The improvement is not just in one area either—there has been improvement in 3 putt avoidance, more made putts from 10-15 feet, and a big improvement from 10 feet and in. I played in a member-guest this weekend and apparently people weren’t feeling generous and had to putt just about everything out. Over 45 holes, I didn’t miss any shorties or miss any putt that I reasonably should have made. I did miss a 15 footer to win a match, but I’m an amateur and can’t expect to make all of those.

The most remarkable thing about the Versa has been that it’s enabled me to start more putts on my intended line, which has led to more made putts. One thing that has been an adjustment is the White Hot insert. Just about everyone has either played or at least heard of the White Hot insert. I’ve noticed there is a harsher feeling/sound if I don’t hit the putt exactly in the center, which is great for feedback. When struck in the center, there is a soft feel of an unmistakably well-struck putt. Anything out of the toe or heel has a harsher feel. Even though I went from a mallet to a blade and I am more aware of mishits, I have found the Versa to be quite forgiving. I have had zero issues with distance-control. Lag putting has always been a strength and I’ve found the Versa to be super consistent from long and medium range putts.

The #1 has been in the bag for not quite 4 months and it still looks brand new. I’m noting this because one of my all-time favorite putters, the Spider Tour Red would chip very easily and it drove me crazy how quickly the imperfections showed up. I’m not a savage and keep my headcover on my putter when it’s not being used and am careful not to drop it. I’ve seen no issues with the Versa.

Back