2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

Snell is looking for at least 2yrs/66M
opt out after 2024.

The Astros are intrigued, but are “the latest team to balk at his asking price”

Snell is looking for at least 2yrs/66M
opt out after 2024.

The Astros are intrigued, but are “the latest team to balk at his asking price”
I am not a fan of it happening but that type of contract structure probably does bring the Dodgers into the mix, potentially validating recent rumors of interest.

Anyone who even just plays fantasy baseball learns pretty quickly that nothing is more volatile and unpredictable than starting pitching.

I think I posted the top 10 highest paid pitchers somewhere earlier in the thread and something like 3 of them were 'worth it'...and now Cole is injured.

Anyone who even just plays fantasy baseball learns pretty quickly that nothing is more volatile and unpredictable than starting pitching.

I think I posted the top 10 highest paid pitchers somewhere earlier in the thread and something like 3 of them were 'worth it'...and now Cole is injured.
Have a draft tonight... pitching is basically flipping a coin.

Have a draft tonight... pitching is basically flipping a coin.
It's brutal. Stryder and Wheeler feel the safest to me of the big names, but it's always a crap shoot with pitchers. Waiting on Eury Perez news for my other 2 teams already.

Sixto hitting high numbers on the gun.
Hasnt allowed a run in 6 innings pitched.
Pitches looked solid, with good movement.

This feels like a setup.

Sixto hitting high numbers on the gun.
Hasnt allowed a run in 6 innings pitched.
Pitches looked solid, with good movement.

This feels like a setup.
Would be awesome if he could stay healthy, especially with everything else going on with that rotation. And yes, probably a setup.

I assume they just mean horrendous pitching.

I never said horrendous. I said injured and others who are virtual certainties to be injured. The injuries are objectively true/provable.

It is time for the AL East. I am deviating from the regular format because this division is a mess thanks to a crazy number of key injuries and other departures (NY is missing their ace and their #2 SP is a real question mark; Baltimore is missing 60% of their rotation; Gaussman has a balky shoulder; Tampa loses their presumptive cornerstone to diddling young girls; Boston lost its No 1 starter). If everyone was healthy I liked the Yankees overall quality to put them atop the division. Plus, I look for regression from Baltimore this year...I just don't see everything going perfectly for them again like it did last year. With health questions being so prominent virtually anything can happen...well, other than the Red Sox winning it. So I will go with this:

1. Tampa - they are used to relying on depth and plugging and playing various people. Maybe this positions them better than everyone else to handle the mayhem that is this division.
2 / 3. NY and Baltimore. Follow the injury reports. Whoever is healthiest takes 2nd place.
4. Toronto. I like their SP, Closer and core players but the role players look weaker than ever.
5. Boston. They are starting to accumulate some nice/interesting pieces but the rotation is a train wreck.

Aren’t u glad u rise early like me so we can watch the Korea games live? I know deep down you are.

It is time for the AL East. I am deviating from the regular format because this division is a mess thanks to a crazy number of key injuries and other departures (NY is missing their ace and their #2 SP is a real question mark; Baltimore is missing 60% of their rotation; Gaussman has a balky shoulder; Tampa loses their presumptive cornerstone to diddling young girls; Boston lost its No 1 starter). If everyone was healthy I liked the Yankees overall quality to put them atop the division. Plus, I look for regression from Baltimore this year...I just don't see everything going perfectly for them again like it did last year. With health questions being so prominent virtually anything can happen...well, other than the Red Sox winning it. So I will go with this:

1. Tampa - they are used to relying on depth and plugging and playing various people. Maybe this positions them better than everyone else to handle the mayhem that is this division.
2 / 3. NY and Baltimore. Follow the injury reports. Whoever is healthiest takes 2nd place.
4. Toronto. I like their SP, Closer and core players but the role players look weaker than ever.
5. Boston. They are starting to accumulate some nice/interesting pieces but the rotation is a train wreck.
This division will be entertaining.

Aren’t u glad u rise early like me so we can watch to Korea games? I know deep down you are.
Hard pass.
Rooting for anything Los Angeles is rooting for high taxes, crime and icky things

Snell to the Giants. 2 years $62M with an opt out

So ultimately 3 of Boras’s guys ended up taking what are really 1 year contracts.

The opt out was the only reason Snell isn’t an Astro. Crane was willing to pay the $$ but the opt out killed the deal

Snell receives a $15MM salary for the upcoming season and has a $17MM signing bonus that will not be paid until 2026, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on X). That indicates he’ll be deciding on whether to opt out of a $30MM salary next winter, although the delayed date on the payment of the bonus reduces the team’s short-term commitment.

Good signing for the Giants. This makes them better and they don’t have the burden of a 9 year deal.

So ultimately 3 of Boras’s guys ended up taking what are really 1 year contracts.

Interesting as to what the market for these players ultimately ended up.

Back