20th Wedding Anniversary w/golf

Redd

Morgan Cup 2024 - Team Paradise
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Last night my wife and I spent a few hours in the car together, just the two of us (that rarely happens), on our way to watch my oldest play baseball. We began talking about our upcoming 20th wedding anniversary (July) and she said something that made a tear well up in my eye: "I know that you're working hard on your game in preparation of The Morgan Cup, so I would like to go somewhere for our anniversary where you can play golf. What if we went to San Antonio so you could play Briggs Ranch before September?" What a selfless woman! I told her we couldn't get on Briggs Ranch, but loved her thinking!

Having said that, I would love to hear suggestions (domestic) for places to look into. If it's drivable (from Oklahoma), that's just a bonus that would save money for more golf, but flying is an option. I would love to find some place that my wife and I could enjoy the times when not golfing, but has good golf surrounding the area. While I wish money was no object, I'm going to need to be budget-conscious. If you'd be willing, hit me with your best!

Last edited:
Last night my wife and I spent a few hours in the car together, just the two of us (that rarely happens), on our way to watch my oldest play baseball. We began talking about our upcoming 20th wedding anniversary (July) and she said something that made a tear well up in my eye: "I know that you're working hard on your game in preparation of The Morgan Cup, so I would like to go somewhere for our anniversary where you can play golf. What if we went to San Antonio so you could play Briggs Ranch before September?" What a selfless woman! I told her we couldn't get on Briggs Ranch, but loved her thinking!

Having said that, I would love to hear suggestions (domestic) for places to look into. If it's drivable (from Oklahoma), that's just a bonus that would save money for more golf, but flying is an option. I would love to find some place that my wife and I could enjoy the times when not golfing, but has good golf surrounding the area. While I wish money was no object, I'm going to need to be budget-conscious. If you'd be willing, hit me with your best!
Very cool. Congratulations on upcoming 20 years!
What would you consider within driving distance? 4/6/8/10 hours?

Very cool. Congratulations on upcoming 20 years!
What would you consider within driving distance? 4/6/8/10 hours?
Thank you, sir! Amazing she's put up with me for that long. I would say any of the above would be doable. She asked about Myrtle Beach, but I'm afraid that a bit outside "drivable" at 20 hours.

I love hearing stories about wives who are both accommodating and encouraging of golf.

It's a wonderful thing.
Right!? She doesn't even play, but encourages me to get out at every opportunity. I sure don't take it for granted!

Damn! She's a keeper

Congrats on 20! You've got a good one! A few suggestions:

Sandestin in the Florida Panhandle - 4 courses on site and several others within 30 minutes well worth playing. Resort has a great spa and plenty of good dining on and off-site

Grand Resort in Point Clear, AL - 2 RTJ courses on site and several other courses within a 30 minute drive. Great resort. Fairhope is a few minutes drive and is a fun spot to eat, drink and be merry. Good food is plentiful and easy to find.

Big Cedar Lodge

Barton Creek

Sandestin in the Florida Panhandle - 4 courses on site and several others within 30 minutes well worth playing. Resort has a great spa and plenty of good dining on and off-site

Grand Resort in Point Clear, AL - 2 RTJ courses on site and several other courses within a 30 minute drive. Great resort. Fairhope is a few minutes drive and is a fun spot to eat, drink and be merry. Good food is plentiful and easy to find.

Big Cedar Lodge

Barton Creek
Thank you, @Parrot for the kind words!

Big Cedar is on our list (her folks have time-share and that's an option!

I've spent the previous two spring breaks watching my oldest play baseball in the Gulf Shores area and, and fairly certain, we went to Fairhope at some point. What a small world. Love the ideas!

Also, are you referring to Barton Creek in Austin, TX?

You could do the JW Marriott with the TPC San Antonio or La Cantera if San Antonio is a place she wants to go. Lots to do at the Riverwalk and around town. Another option there would be the Hyatt Hill Country but I'm not familiar with that course.

The Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop outside of Austin might be another option. Wolfdancer is the name of the course and it's a tough but good track though I haven't played the new 9 that built to replace one of the other 9. You would be a 20-40 minute driver into downtown Austin if you wanted to go in.

You could do the JW Marriott with the TPC San Antonio or La Cantera if San Antonio is a place she wants to go. Lots to do at the Riverwalk and around town. Another option there would be the Hyatt Hill Country but I'm not familiar with that course.

The Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop outside of Austin might be another option. Wolfdancer is the name of the course and it's a tough but good track though I haven't played the new 9 that built to replace one of the other 9. You would be a 20-40 minute driver into downtown Austin if you wanted to go in.
I think she mentioned San Antonio specifically due to the upcoming Morgan Cup being there, but I know she enjoyed San Antonio on her previous trip there. Great suggestions. Thank you.

Big Cedar Lodge

Barton Creek
I would second Big Cedar Lodge.
Did a little research into that area for a guys golf trip that may happen in the future and found that there are just a ton of family related activities that would be enjoyable.

Thank you, @Parrot for the kind words!

Big Cedar is on our list (her folks have time-share and that's an option!

I've spent the previous two spring breaks watching my oldest play baseball in the Gulf Shores area and, and fairly certain, we went to Fairhope at some point. What a small world. Love the ideas!

Also, are you referring to Barton Creek in Austin, TX?
I'm pretty sure he is which would be another good option I didn't think about. Also, you could look at Horseshoe Bay resort outside of Austin on Lake LBJ. You could do a day trip to Fredricksburg for some shopping for her.

Big Cedar is one that I want to look at doing.

I would second Big Cedar Lodge.
Did a little research into that area for a guys golf trip that may happen in the future and found that there are just a ton of family related activities that would be enjoyable.
The struggle we are finding with that area, so far, is that July books up super fast. We could always pay out of pocket for lodging, instead of using her parents' time-share, but would limit the budget left for golfing. If we could make that work, the area is an easy drive that I'm very familiar with (we stay at Paradise Point a few times per year).

The struggle we are finding with that area, so far, is that July books up super fast. We could always pay out of pocket for lodging, instead of using her parents' time-share, but would limit the budget left for golfing. If we could make that work, the area is an easy drive that I'm very familiar with (we stay at Paradise Point a few times per year).
Big Cedar Lodge courses are awesome, did a trip there a little over 3 years ago

Update:

I was informed a couple days ago that we are heading to Big Cedar (Branson, MO area) for a week in July (7-14) for our anniversary trip. The in-laws donated a week stay in a studio so the wife told me to pick 3-4 courses to play during the week. A few courses that have been suggested: Thousand Hills, Top of the Rock, Payne's Valley, Branson Hills, Ozark National, and Ledgestone.

Are there others in the area you would include on that list? Remove from the list? Any you would bump to the top of the list?

Congrats on the anniversary, sounds like you found a keeper! I've got no domestic recommendations, but I know you guys will have a great time. We went to Jamaica for our 20th last November and I play a few times. Even though the course was really mediocre, every part of the trip was awesome.

Just a bump in hopes of any suggestions to add or remove from the above list (Big Cedar/Branson area). Thank you in advance!

Just a bump in hopes of any suggestions to add or remove from the above list (Big Cedar/Branson area). Thank you in advance!
I haven't been to that area yet but, just off what I've read and seen in some videos, Payne's Valley is a must.

I haven't been to that area yet but, just off what I've read and seen in some videos, Payne's Valley is a must.
I am on the same page in regards to Payne's Valley. I've seen it in person and spent a great deal of time looking through everything I can find on it online, but never played there. It looks unreal.

Not having to worry about lodging budget (thanks to the in-laws), the wife wants me to play 1-2 of the more expensive courses and then a couple of the more reasonable (cost) courses. I can hardly wait!

Back