3 UP with 5 to play

Say you're 3 UP with 5 to play.

Do you change the way you're playing?

Say on the 14th tee you miss the fairway and are in some deep stuff, and your opponent stripes one right down the middle, does that change your playing style?

What if both you and your opponent are playing really well, but the 3 holes you're up on your opponent just have a few bad breaks, so the match is closer than the score shows, at what point do you get a little more aggressive than you've been playing all day?

I'm not going to change the way I play if I'm 3 up with 5 to play, no. I'm in the drivers seat and par is going to be my friend more than likely. I wouldn't say that I'm going to play conservatively, but close to it. I'm defiantly not going to take any major risks with my play at this point. I'm probably going to leave the driver in the bag and hit my 3 wood or one of my hybrids off the tee. Something I have confidence in that I know will hit the fairway and leave me with a distance I am comfortable with.

If I'm in the rough off the tee, I'm taking a calculated shot on the next shot. Worst case scenario I'm not 2 up with 4 to play, if I can put one on or near the green with my next shot, giving myself a shot for par, then I did what I could. Odds a very much still in my favor here. I have NO need to play aggressive at all for the last 5 holes as he will have to probably birdie 2 of the last 5 to tie me and 3 to beat me.

I'll probably not take any unnecessary risks like going for par 5's in two, firing at sucker pins, etc. But otherwise, I'm gonna keep playing the way I've been playing and let the chips fall, because obviously there's a reason I've gotten to this position playing that way.

I don't think I would change anything I had been doing with 5 to play. Now if it gets to 3 to play and still up 2 or 3, then I would make sure I put the ball in the fairway with just an iron and just play conservative the rest of the way in. The pressure is on the other player at this point in the match.

i would continue to play "my" game, take what it is giving me for that day. that being said, if there is a little blood in the water, i may have to just be a little more aggressive and possibly get in my competitions head with one well placed comment, for example, " don't tighten up on your forearms too much!!!!

Play to my strengths, play smart. Stay away from tight pins or hazards, course management your way to the very last shot. Hoping the last holes include mostly par 4 and 5's. I have so much confidence with the driver and 3 wood my money clubs along with the putter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said. I would play my game, make him beat me. He is the one that is under all the pressure.

Back