Billygoat

Reaction score
Handicap
Lots!
Hi,

I have a problem with just my 3 wood hitting it off the deck and taking too much turf. I tend to hit my 3 hybrid and 5 wood very well, but they don't give me the same distance I'd get from a 3 wood so I need to fix the issue. My 3 wood is also getting pretty old and beat up so I'm looking to replace it. A few weeks ago, I was comparing a few 3 woods at golftown on the sim and the Callaway XR was working very well for me. I was still taking too much of the mat the odd time but nothing like with my current Adams 3 wood (Fast 10) and I was getting great distance even on the few fat shots I had. Not sure if the sole on these just transitions to the turf better for me or something, but there were markedly fewer fat shots and I'm used to hitting off mats, so I have a good reference point. I'm going to hit the XR against a couple other 3 woods that I haven't tried yet just in case, but it's looking like it might be the one. My question is, when I get a decent grip put on the new club, would getting an extra half or 3/4 inch cut off possibly help further with the fat shots off the deck? I'm aware there would be a loss of distance but I assume it would be slight cutting off less than an inch? I'm definitely willing to sacrifice a few yards for better struck balls.

Thanks!

Not necessarily. You could just be getting super steep on your transition down to the ball. The length of the club wouldn't change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the V-Series, the warbird sole really helps with hitting off the fairways.

At the same time, shorter shafts usually lead to better overall control.

Setting up with a little bit of backward spine tilt, as you would with a driver, often helps tremendously with the 3-wood too.

Setting up with a little bit of backward spine tilt, as you would with a driver, often helps tremendously with the 3-wood too.

This is very true

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The V-Series was on my list to try but the store didn't have one in Regular flex last time I was there. Hopefully they will this time and I'll give it a try. I'll also try the spine tilt and see how that works.

I recently had some pretty epic struggles with the same thing. Either very fat or topping it. I shortened my backswing, and when I swing down, I am picturing trying to hit an outside fastball. It results in a shallower path and more consistent contact.

Cutting it down could help, but like many say try choking down and experimenting there before chopping it. Also, where's your ball position? Maybe try a ball or two more towards the middle of your stance to catch the ball before you bottom out?

I was told to hit down on it and it just caused me to hit more steeply into the ball, making the problem worse. Fat shots, to me would indicate an issue that might not be the club. FWIW, I think 3 woods are harder to hit off the deck than the old woods ones were, the length and size make it difficult.

I was told to hit down on it and it just caused me to hit more steeply into the ball, making the problem worse. Fat shots, to me would indicate an issue that might not be the club. FWIW, I think 3 woods are harder to hit off the deck than the old woods ones were, the length and size make it difficult.

I was taught 40+ years ago to sweep woods, and it still works for me. Low, dragging the ground takeaway about a foot behind the ball. I take no divot with a wood. Everything is subjective.

Try the V-Series, the warbird sole really helps with hitting off the fairways.
I second this. Easiest 3 wood I've hit off the deck. Have yet to have any issues with getting it elevated and the Warbird sole is made for the rough commonly found left/right of the fairway.

As for the fat shots, where is your ball position? Like already mentioned, a sweeping motion with some spine tilt does wonders for me. Low and slow on the take away.

If you cant hit the cally v you shouldnt be hitting a 3 wood off the deck.

Try a 4 wood. Worked wonders for me. I put a little more weight on my front foot too at address. I will still hit a fat shot occasionally but such is life for the mid-handicapper like myself...

Bottom line is that unless you're a single digit, you're not going to be super proficient with the woods off the deck. I didn't start playing until I was 32, and with a demanding job and kids, some of us will never be that great at the game. But it's still enjoyable.

All we need is that one perfect shot though...

Try a 4 wood. Worked wonders for me. I put a little more weight on my front foot too at address. I will still hit a fat shot occasionally but such is life for the mid-handicapper like myself...

A 4 wood is a good option. Shorter shaft with the same loft as a 3 wood, but you could just cut down a 3 wood to 4 wood length. I say go with something new or newer in woods with a very shallow face like the Callaway XR or Ping K15's.

I have a Cobra Fly-Z. It is adjustble from 13* to 16*. The adjustability could help you find the best loft with a consistent shaft length. I keep mine at 13* and carry a 16* also. If I play a course where I need an extra wedge I take the 16 out and adjust the Fly-Z to 14.5.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back