3w dialed up or 5w dialed down

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
So as I'm sitting in my office looking at my bag of spare clubs and my mind started to wander a bit. What this lead to was me wondering what would you do if you had adjustable 3w and 5w that could both be adjusted to 17*. Which would you game at that 17* setting?

To answer the question, I would prefer dialing down the loft since that opens the face. If you slice the ball, dialing the 3 wood up to close the face may be a better option. BTW, I carry a 17* 4 wood which is the correct solution.

To answer the question, I would prefer dialing down the loft since that opens the face. If you slice the ball, dialing the 3 wood up to close the face may be a better option. BTW, I carry a 17* 4 wood which is the correct solution.
Same here. May also depend on the head size. Sometimes the 3 wood heads are huge and the 5 wood heads are perfect. On the rare occasion, its the opposite.

I would loft up rather than down.

Shrug, don't play with a wood! But if I did, would definitely dial up

I'd adjust the 5w...and keep the 3w a 3w.

I currently play my 5W at °17 so that would be my answer. 😎

Ready depends on what you like looking down at. Open faced 5w or closed face 3w.

I play a 3w at 16.5

I originally had my Epic Flash turned to 17 degrees and no 3 wood. But, for my club, there are certain holes that a 3 wood at 15 is ideal. So, I picked up an Epic Flash 3 wood off CPO and changed my 5 wood back to original loft.

I’d like to try both and see which I get along with better. I really like looking down at the shape of my 5W, but think the 3W option would probably suit my swing better.

I’d like to try both and see which I get along with better. I really like looking down at the shape of my 5W, but think the 3W option would probably suit my swing better.

This is what I'm going to do over the next few days. I've had my 5w set at 17* for a LONG time and curiosity just got the better of me this morning.

As mentioned, desired shot shape/face angle and head size. I'd probably err to the 3W if it had the bigger head of the two if it didn't hook.

What this gentleman said. 17* is too much loft for me in a FW. I also play my 3+ at 12* and don’t have another answer until either 4h or 4i in my bag. They both go the same but ones a “get of jail” club (4h) while the other is a FW finder and a pin seeker if the right range.

Titleist offers a 16.5 fairway wood with a neutral face. Don’t forget a 2H in this slot if you hit hybrids better.

I ditched my 3 wood and turned my 5 wood down to 16.5 degrees, and it works very well for me.

I ditched my 3 wood and turned my 5 wood down to 16.5 degrees, and it works very well for me.
I did the same thing with my G410 5W, and it has worked out very well for me.

Not your question, but a fixed hosel 4w is a thing of beauty. Enter for example, my Mavrik SubZero 4w. I like it better than either a 3w lofted up, or 5w lofted down.

I like a 4 wood ... but for 3 or 5 do you like a larger head or smaller? 5 wood will be smaller cc and should launch higher. If I had to pick just one fwy, it would be a 16.5-17 degree - either in 4 or 5 wd form at 42.5 in.

I like a 4 wood ... but for 3 or 5 do you like a larger head or smaller? 5 wood will be smaller cc and should launch higher. If I had to pick just one fwy, it would be a 16.5-17 degree - either in 4 or 5 wd form at 42.5 in.
I hit my 5 wood really nice most of the time and it is 18.5 degrees, but I stink on the 3 wood at 14.5. I think a 16.5-17 degree would be the perfect wood. I may set my 5 wood -1 degree and see how I do with it.

I hit my 5 wood really nice most of the time and it is 18.5 degrees, but I stink on the 3 wood at 14.5. I think a 16.5-17 degree would be the perfect wood. I may set my 5 wood -1 degree and see how I do with it.

DO IT!!!!!!!

This is what I'm going to do over the next few days. I've had my 5w set at 17* for a LONG time and curiosity just got the better of me this morning.
Of course the loft only changes from standard if you square the club at time of impact.

I'm playing my G410 17.5° 5W at the minus one setting, which isn't that far from a traditional "4W" at standard setting anyway. I generally play it from the slightly open soled position, not manually squared at address. (Also do that with my 7w.) From shot shape I believe I generally get the "loft change". But I also benefit from:
a) a slightly open clubface that is much more appealing to me than a closed one would be
b) a shorter shaft in the 5W that should promote overall easier contact and versatility from various lies
c) with the higher starting (standard) loft I should benefit from generally better carry at my swingspeed, moreso over a 3W, especially if I don't make good contact

Back