4-Iron vs Utility Iron vs Hybrid

I'm only laughing because I feel your pain.
Its all good, I find it funny myself. At one point it was my most accurate and dependable club. Now the only thing I can deoend on is it will be in the fairway next to mine.

Hybrid for me, but I don't hit it very well - goes left almost every time. I would be open to trying a UT.

I’ve never tried a utility iron, so I can’t speak to that. I have a 5i and 4h. The gapping is good, but I strike the 5i much more consistently. At this point I’d rather have the iron than the hybrid.

I dropped the 4i and 5i last year and replaced with a 4H and 5H.

I have a 4 hybrid right now and tend to hook it a bit. I have played around with a Srixon U65 with mixed results. I am still searching for that spot in my bag.

I had 3h/4h in the bag and switched to 4i/3h. I like the iron better than the hybrid off the tee because it goes straighter, but the hybrid out of the rough or from the deck has better results for me than a long iron.

I haven’t tried a utility iron

I have the swing speed and attack angle to play a 4I if I wanted, but after finding a hybrid that works for me (thank you ECPC) I've stuck with it. Feel like it offers me the most forgiveness and I can still play it from rough lies when the need presents itself. 4H is the oldest club consistently in my bag and one of my favorites to hit.

I carry 3hy and 4iron is that wrong? I think the 3hy is the perfect gap between 3w and irons. I like the look of Utility Iron, never hit one and heard less forgiving than hybrid. My hybrid struggles are the hook... I think this is linked to the setup as well as my "overswinging" trying to launch the club.

I always struggled with hybrids. I am playing the Cobra f8 one length irons (which I picked up via this site earlier this year) and love them...the set came with three hybrids as well. I have had better luck with the one length hybrids, though still a little inconsistent. I have the Cobra one length 4 utility coming this week....it's got adjustable loft and I am curious to play it as a long iron option as a step up from the 6 iron (which is the longest iron...then I have the 3 thru 5 hybrids). I have heard great things about the cobra UT irons so we'll see....I will probably play it as some kind of 4/5 iron (will have to play with the loft adjustment) and then may carry the 4H with it. Above the 4H, currently carrying driver, 3W, 5W (may sub the 3H back in for 5W though).

Long answer short...I generally prefer the look of an iron over hybrid at address, and that certainly has an effect on my results. Which is why I'm trying the UT....should be here Friday. Hopefully it'll do the trick for me.

I have the Z785 4i and then the ZU85 2i utility and will hit both from the tee or deck

Tried hybrids in my fitting, but nothing came close to giving me numbers that would work in my set

Iron. I have never messed around with a hybrid or driving iron for this slot. I am comfortable hitting the 4i off the tee/rough/fairway so I have not seen the need for a change.

Whatever you call the cbx iron woods, somewhere between Hybrid and Utility iron

Have had 0 success with hybrids other than an old slighshot that I held onto. So for me it's 4i, but if we're talking standard length clubs then I'll go with Utility.

Speedzone 4 Iron...It’s kind of an easy to hit 4 iron and a really nice Utility.

Both, I have a 4 iron in the bag along with 2 hybrids

I prefer to go to hybrid after my 5i. I also much prefer the smaller profile hybrids, I don't really understand this as I also like fairway woods and play a 3 & 5 wood.

I have a 4h right now. Pondering a 5u.

I have a 3u, a 3h, and a 4i in the bag right now.

The 3u gets most of the use, fallback onto the 4i. Hybrid is something I just can't hit, and it is in the bag just to see if I right the ship.

Would rather dribble one down the fairway with a util or iron, than slice a hybrid into the bush.

4-iron might be my most cherished club, I have utilities but rarely carry them because I only ever end up hitting them off the tee, and having at least 1 hybrid can be a lifesaver. It can also replace any of my utilities without missing a beat. Also, the Mavrik Pro hybrid is just seriously good.

Have a 4I and UI that gap well and both can be used when not needing driver off the tee.

Back