5-Wood vs 3-Hy - Which and Why?

I love my 5 wood; it's the first one that I feel comfortable hitting off the tee and deck. I never really got along with hybrids but am experimenting with a 4h now.

I play a 16* Halo hybrid and it may not be as long as a 3 wood, but I'm more consistent with it.

This is an interesting thread. I have been having similar conversation with myself for a while. I do like this video, and some may find it helpful.

There are 100% differences in ease of use and ability to make solid contact. But if you consider solid strike vs. solid strike, what is the difference? I think this video answers that pretty well. Well, at least for the guy swinging the club..

Looks fantastic! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Really changed this club shifting the shaft flex and more importantly weight for me. I just can’t work well with a 60g 5w shaft.

I think I’m going to go the route of Rors. Day by day conditions And course will determine if it’s the 5w or 19H in the bag.

Really changed this club shifting the shaft flex and more importantly weight for me. I just can’t work well with a 60g 5w shaft.

I think I’m going to go the route of Rors. Day by day conditions And course will determine if it’s the 5w or 19H in the bag.
That is a beefy shaft for sure! The 8X is around 86 grams?

Club selection based on course makes sense so long as you can play both clubs!

That is a beefy shaft for sure! The 8X is around 86 grams?

Club selection based on course makes sense so long as you can play both clubs!
Yup, it’s a good setup for me in terms of being able to really not lose the 5w flighting I want to see, but still hit it into greens as I did twice today.

Yup, it’s a good setup for me in terms of being able to really not lose the 5w flighting I want to see, but still hit it into greens as I did twice today.
And it still lands soft enough to hold the green compared to the flight of a 3H?

Oh yeah. 5w launches easier than a 19H.
I was wondering if that heavy, super low torque shaft put the 5W and 3H on more of an even playing field with regards to launch, but question solved!

I was wondering if that heavy, super low torque shaft put the 5W and 3H on more of an even playing field with regards to launch, but question solved!
Yeah. It’s still got more weight low and back so it’s easier for me to elevate, it’s one that on windy days I’d likely rotate in the 3H

I have not really given 5w a fair shake, I tend to play 3h or 3i. The reasons I have not played one are for while I have been pretty conservative on long approaches. Courses here are often tight and protected, where a three shot approach works more effectively. I also prefer a hybrid to a 5w off the tee, where is 75% or more of where I use it. So no real need for a 5w. I had a Heavenwood for a couple years and hit it probably less than 20 times, which is sad.

Lately I have been challenging myself to be more aggressive and accurate from long range, and for now that means 4w + 2h. It's a good blend.

Never carries a 5w so it's definitely interesting following this thread.

Fairway wood all day for me. Tried most every hybrid available for the past 15 years and even broke down and tried the OneLength Hybrid from Cobra.

Sweeper swing just works much better with fairway woods.

My 3w has changed over the years and is currently a Cobra F9 w/ HZRDUS Red but my 7w and 9w with DGX100 Lite steel shafts have been in the bag for over 15 years.

Tried more times than I can remember to replace them but they just work for my swing.

Back