cnl390

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had a 60 in the past but just didn't like. Now I realize that I lose to many strokes when I am in deeper bunkers, being short sided below the green, etc.
I am asking for recommendations for a 60. Brand, bounce, etc.
P.S. I am a 21 (but improving) handicap golfer.

So don't take the wrong way but most high handicappers should not be playing a high lofted wedge.. practice and get better with wedges 50-56

The lob wedge is beyond must amateurs skill level and we tend to leave strokes out there with bad lobs/chips

I'm a ~ 13 hcp and only use my 58 really put of greens greenside bunkers

if you insist on a lob wedge look for a 58 deg. I dropped the 60 a long time ago and went to a 50,54,58 setup and my days of chunks and duffs are over.

Thanks. I would never take constructive criticism the wrong way. In fact I value it. I have a Cleveland CBX2 56 which I am very good with. I think I need a club with more loft as I am not that comfortable (probably need to practice it more) swinging with an open face.

Anything I used to do with my 60° I can easily do with my 58° Wide low.

I've been playing for over 40 years and never had a 60* in the bag. It's really a specialty club that the majority of golfers just don't need. My highest lofted wedge has always been a 56* - it can do everything needed and is a great weapon to have if you practice with it.

No offense to those with a different opinion, but I don't buy into statements like "you're not good enough for that kind of club", we're all different, and we all have our strengths and weekneses. I used to limit my 60* wedge to a low bounce specialty club, used primarily in firm bunkers around the green (read that as hard pan bunkers with almost no sand in them), but this last year I've been using a Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 60* Full (12* bounce) with S-Grind Sole, compliments of THP and Cleveland Golf, that is an incredibly versatile and easy to hit lob wedge. I still use my 50* and 55* CBX2 wedges for most routine shots around the green, but this 60* works great on full swings out at 75 - 80 yds, those short sided shots where you have to carry a bunker, and is even pretty easy to hit full on flop shots. It works well out of good bunkers too, but I still put the low bounce 60* in the bag for some courses where I tend to frequent those crappy bunkers I mentioned earlier.

I'm not saying this would work as well for you, but it made a believer out of me, and I now have a club I use a lot, instead of one that is relegated to just one type of shot.

So don't take the wrong way but most high handicappers should not be playing a high lofted wedge.. practice and get better with wedges 50-56

The lob wedge is beyond must amateurs skill level and we tend to leave strokes out there with bad lobs/chips

I'm a ~ 13 hcp and only use my 58 really put of greens greenside bunkers
What’s more difficult for a higher handicap player, having the confidence and technical skill to hit shots with an open faced club or using a stock lob wedge 🤔.

What’s more difficult for a higher handicap player, having the confidence and technical skill to hit shots with an open faced club or using a stock lob wedge 🤔.
Or just learn proper touch for a standard 54 and don't try to get too creative.. thats what'll improve scores

No offense to those with a different opinion, but I don't buy into statements like "you're not good enough for that kind of club", we're all different, and we all have our strengths and weekneses.
I don’t see anyone saying that. There is a Misconception that you need a 56 and 60 deg wedge. We are just pointing out that there are other options.

I thought I needed a 60* wedge so I got myself a Vokey SM 7. It cost me many more strokes than it saved me. Even with practice, I have a hard time controlling the carry distance. I then went to a 56 which I can stop pretty quickly and find much more versatile than the 60. If we were allowed to carry 16 or 17 clubs, I’d put it back in the bag, but I just can’t justify it taking up space for the few times I’d use it, the minimal improvement over the 56, and the bigger odds of it costing me more strokes than it saves.

Or just learn proper touch for a standard 54 and don't try to get too creative.. thats what'll improve scores
Easy as that 🤣. May as well just learn the straight 300 yard drive too 😉.

I play a 62. That said, I'm also a HS golf coach and I won't let my kids use anything over a 56 until they've learned to hit the shots with the clubs they have, a lob wedge can be great, or it can be a limiting factor to creativity around the greens. Its not for everyone.

To me having a high lofted wedge is necessary no matter your skill set. You just need to find one that’s right for you and know when to use it (ie deep bunkers as your are mentioning) and know when to keep it in the bag. Playing a shot with it, is no different than playing a shot with a 56.

if you’re looking for bunker assistance, there are many good options. I like hi toe type wedges (pm grind/hi toe/etc) and many oem snow offer one. Another club to look at could very well be the callaway sureout. I think they still have that right? Supposedly very easy and friendly for the golfer that needs help out of bunkers.

Agree with @OldandStiff you should play what fits your game. I’m a 19 hc and my 60 is my favorite club. I’m really good with it from 40-95 yards on touch and full shots and feel way more comfortable with a pitch shot with my 60 than chipping with a lower lofted club. It’s great for the occasions where you have to hit a flop shot or hard bunkers.

I used to have a Vokey M grind that I really liked but this year I’m playing a cobra 60 that feels awesome too and has performed really well for me. I can’t remember the grind off hand but I can check today. Both clubs were higher bounce but I’m not really good enough to tell the difference in bounce.

For the past two years my preferred tool for green-side bunkers has been a 60* SM7 D grind, and I rarely use anything else. My sand game has seen the greatest improvement recently, and I contribute it in-part to the wedge change. I'm sure it helps that I've been carrying a lob wedge since I was shooting triple digit scores, so there's a comfort level with that club both in and out of bunkers. Honestly, I'd give up something at the top of the bag before I'd drop my lob wedge.

Agree with @OldandStiff you should play what fits your game. I’m a 19 hc and my 60 is my favorite club. I’m really good with it from 40-95 yards on touch and full shots and feel way more comfortable with a pitch shot with my 60 than chipping with a lower lofted club. It’s great for the occasions where you have to hit a flop shot or hard bunkers.

I used to have a Vokey M grind that I really liked but this year I’m playing a cobra 60 that feels awesome too and has performed really well for me. I can’t remember the grind off hand but I can check today. Both clubs were higher bounce but I’m not really good enough to tell the difference in bounce.
Well my mission of achieving telepathy posting has apparently been accomplished. Y'all are in serious trouble now!! :p

I do, along with @OldeDude (?) think you should play what suits your game. I'm also a big fan of the general player not wandering into the high loft habit though. Can be detrimental.

Last edited:
Tried a 60 years ago. Hated it. I’ve learnt to play different shots with my 56 and now it’s the highest loft I feel I need to go.

All based on your course, game etc. I have a friend who cannot play a wedge over 56 ever. Just does not have the technique and when attempting to use it with technique has no TRUST.

Many ways to score.. use each club for the correct shot based on many factors.. the most overlooked possibly being your understanding of and practice with making that tool work for the specific job.

To each his own really.

I personally hate opening up a face to hit a higher shot. I always feel like I am catching it off the hosel and I hate it. If you want a 60* then try one. The Ping Glide 3.0 would probably work well for you. It has a lot of forgiveness but not quite as chunky as a CBX.

I have found it completely depends on what club you are willing to practice with. I avoided a 60* for years, in part because growing up playing with a PW as my highest lofted club, I got comfortable at being creative with that - opening it up, bouncing the ball into a slope, etc.

Fast forward to some months back, decided to try 60 again. I also have been going to the course almost every day, putting and chipping every day, hitting range balls one or two days. Turns out I can hit a 60. Wasn't the club design or the grind so much as deliberate practice with the club and figuring out how different lies play out, what kind of stroke/swing I needed, etc.

I'll never be able to hit it 300 yards - my body is on the wrong side of the peak. I will however be able to hole out chips and hit flops, with enough practice. Just depends on how much time you have and how dedicated you are to the process. No single right answer, everyone has a different game and a different life.

So I’ve played a 60 in the past. I went low bounce, 4 deg, as I like it sit low to the ground. I have a 58 deg Cleveland ZipCore with more bounce, that has helped with some of the chunks I had with the old 60. But on that one, the leading edge sits a little higher which makes me nervous on bare lies, especially since I am more of sweeper instead of hitting down on the ball.

If you are also a sweeper and like the leading edge low to the ground check out the Cobras. They scallop the middle so it sits lower. The wide low may be yourticket.

For me, I’ve done better with bunker play with more bounce but better of tight lies and scrappy hard pan with low bounce.

I can hit a low running pitch with a 60 that by de-lofting with a forward press, hit a soft pitch over the bunker, flops, full shots, etc. I can likewise use my 54 (bent to 55) for those shots as well as low spinners that stop. I am a proponent of to each his own. Learn to hit different type of shots with the different clubs. Maybe you need the loft to carry a bunker and land softly so you use a half (9 o'clock) with your 60. Maybe the pin is further away so you hit a lower spinner with your sw that checks up. Get comfy with your wedges.

Well my mission of achieving telepathy posting has apparently been accomplished. Y'all are in serious trouble now!! :p

I do, along with @OldeDude (?) think you should play what suits your game. I'm also a big fan of the general player not wandering into the high loft habit though. Can be detrimental.

@OldandStiff THP posting! 🤯

Back