64 Degree Wedge: Yes or No?

green is 17 yds deep from that angle, it was probably 4 yds on, so around 12 to 13 yds behind the pin
I know if I had that L wedge I would try it, but I know it wouldn't be the smart play for me.

I bought a Callaway Full Face 64° in the fall. It'll alternate with my 3 iron, and be exclusively used for flop shots for the time being. I hit a few shots on the practice green during my last round of the year, and it was not difficult to use at all.

I know if I had that L wedge I would try it, but I know it wouldn't be the smart play for me.
why do you think not a smart play?

I bought a 64° wedge to play around with a few years ago, my biggest worry was that I was going to put an eye out with it. :LOL: I found it pretty useless on the course - a full swing only gets me about 50 yards, with the strong risk that I'll blade it and turn it into a 150 yard missile instead.

The highest loft I carry is a 58°, with a grind that allows me to lay the face open when I need to. I practice those shots just so I have them in the bag (and because they're fun!), but I'll only use them on the course as a last resort when it's the only practical choice - e.g., lobbing over a bunker to a short-sided pin. Generally speaking, I get the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as I can, it's a much higher percentage shot for me.

why do you think not a smart play?
so you will have a better take than me because you played it. Here's how I play it out in my head with my lack of skills...

Looks like a 30ish yard shot to an elevated green. I don't want to come up short. You said there is some room behind that pin. I'm probably taking my 54, or maybe 60 depending on how soft/firm that lie is, and I'm going to try and play a 40-yard shot with a slightly open face on that 54. Square if it's the 60.

Smart Sole L wedge is so easy to hit........ I think it will be a game changer for anyone willing to look at it in their bag. Pretty is as pretty does.

nope. can't hit a 60* no less.

Nope. 54 and 58 for me.

…The highest loft I carry is a 58°, with a grind that allows me to lay the face open when I need to. I practice those shots just so I have them in the bag (and because they're fun!)
This seems like the smarter play to me. Maybe even using a 56-degree.

I'd give it a try

This seems like the smarter play to me. Maybe even using a 56-degree.
Lately my AW has been getting the vast majority of my chipping action, unless I need more air under the ball. It's been working out really well for me.

Lately my AW has been getting the vast majority of my chipping action, unless I need more air under the ball. It's been working out really well for me.
Im the same boat. If I feel good about the approach with a GW it’s the first pull

lol, nah.

Do you game one? What shots do you use it for? I’ve currently got 13 clubs in the bag and don’t have any gapping issues at the top of my bag. I’m fairly long and play short-medium length courses and my driver, 5 wood, 4 iron set up at the top is perfectly suffice. A 64 degree would be my 5th wedge. Thoughts?
If you have the room in the bag, the money and hit your highest lofted wedge better than decent, why not? Actually, you could probably get one used pretty cheap just to try and then resell/trade if you don't like it.

Now I’m imagining sliding a 64° straight under that ball and clearing about half of the water
Consider that a 64* is easier to play than a 58* or 60* wedge because unlike a 58* or 60*, the 64* can be addressed square and produce a high trajectory shot that lands soft.
In other words, the distance control problems players suffer with a 58* or 60* are often because they are manipulating the face to be open at address. In contrast, a 64* is point and shoot easy.

Last edited:
I picked up a CBX Full Face 64* on a whim and could see it finding a spot in the bag

I use a 62* with 6* bounce I just use it for nasty hard/tight lies. They happen a bunch around here in the summer. Also it stops balls that would other wise roll all over the green. I’ve gone 58-12 54-10 50-10 and 46*PW.

Now I’m using:
62-6*
56-16*
50-10*
46*PW

I find the diversity of grinds/bounce combos leaves me a lot more options depending on conditions.

I don’t own a 64* but it wouldn’t be a hard no unless I tried it and didn’t like it. There are plenty of internet experts who think it’s dumb for a high capper to carry 60* yet it has been one of the most accurate and easiest to hit clubs in the bag.

Back