64 Degree Wedge: Yes or No?

Do you game one? What shots do you use it for? I’ve currently got 13 clubs in the bag and don’t have any gapping issues at the top of my bag. I’m fairly long and play short-medium length courses and my driver, 5 wood, 4 iron set up at the top is perfectly suffice. A 64 degree would be my 5th wedge. Thoughts?
I guess my question would be why do you want a *64?
I don't have one. I have a *60 and I am looking at a new wedge that is 58 or 56. I only use the 60 in a trap and I want more versatility.

so I pulled my 64 out of the closet for some practice today for the first time in like 6-8 years. My swing has changed greatly over that time.

Wow is all I can say. I was hitting nice 40-60 yard pitches then I went to Chip and I was sold. I started by being above the green and chipping down to it and wow the 64 worked much better then my 59.

for Sundays round, I pulled the 59 and put the 64 in the bag. I only use lob wedges for special sitiations and want to see the 64 in action.

Still no.

Reactions: J4U
I ve had one in the bag for awhile. I might use it twice a round or not at all for two rounds. It would be the first club to get bumped to make room for something else. It’s kinda fun though

Playing a course where pretty much everything is an elevated, bowl style green I'm a little curious about a 64 deg wedge at the moment....

I actually bought one on the cheap to screw around with but it never made the bag. On the finicky meter it’s 5x that of a 60.

I actually bought one on the cheap to screw around with but it never made the bag. On the finicky meter it’s 5x that of a 60.
I thought so too. Then I got the new Smart Sole 64 to fool around with on the P&P. It made its way into my regular bag. It's so easy to hit and spins so consistently I'm giving it a shot to win a permanent place. Money 60 and in. Hit it much harder and it pulls the string too hard to be consistent in total distance.
I like the ability to swing a bit more agressively on shorter pitches because if I have to slow down too much I tend to not accelerate through the ball or to hang the face open through impact.

Last edited:
I played 2 rounds with a borrowed 64°. Just a stupid club. It was pretty much a club that you might be in a situation where it’s actually a better choice than a standard 58 or 60 like once every 10 rounds.

I used to have a 66deg from Golfsmith. I loved that club! I could do so many different things with it.

I have an original Edel 64 - last time I played was around 2018. Nice wedge, but not necessary in my conditions. I open up the Artisan 59 and/or lay it back or handle pushed down - works well.

No I don't often find myself in a need where I have to hit it straight up in the air. If I do, I open my 60* and pray I don't blade it haha

I have to admit... I am 64* curious.

I bought a $15 64 wedge from Play It Again Sports just to mess around with. On full length courses, it's just useless... you have to full swing it to get it anywhere. But on par 3 courses, where every wedge shot is like a 10-20 yard short sider... hmmm. 64* shots were like throwing lawn darts at the pin.

That club ended up being just too risky to bag full time even on executive courses, but with a little more forgiveness...

Yeah naw Dog!

its a no from me dawg GIF

I have to admit... I am 64* curious.

That club ended up being just too risky to bag full time even on executive courses, but with a little more forgiveness...
they are starting to make those now…

Nope, I have a 60* that barely gets used, don't need anymore loft than that.

I find the 64* significantly easier to play and more helpful to scoring than a 58* or 60*. The reason being that it is black and white obviously clear for which shots to play the 64*.

I would consider giving the SmartSole FF L a shot. A 64° with some training wheels.

I have to admit... I am 64* curious...
That's where most seem to be. It is a curiosity rather than the answer to any specific compelling problem.

I would consider giving the SmartSole FF L a shot. A 64° with some training wheels.
This was what i faced the other day that got me curious
IMG_7850.jpeg

how much room behind that pin?
green is 17 yds deep from that angle, it was probably 4 yds on, so around 12 to 13 yds behind the pin

Back