95 MPH Swing Speed, blessing or curse?

Bosco...

JB Cobb III told me to do it.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12’ish
Few weeks ago I hit some drivers at GG, everything was 94-96’ish. Hadn’t actually “measured” in quite awhile. The “break”point for almost every shaft between Reg/Stiff is 95 mph. It’s like being the middle kid all over again. 🤬

Yeah, yeah, yeah….fitting blah blah blah 🤦🏻‍♂️

Blessing now that I’ve got Dart 90s in my irons. The feel to me like the perfect marriage between stiff and reg.

Now if I could just find the unicorn woods shafts.

Stiff in graphite
Reg in steel

Done and done.

There is no standard for flex. Which is why so many of us say, go get fit.

Problem is I found a set of Srixon 745’s in regular that look like they spent their life in a garage for $225 clams.

Tempting.

Problem is I found a set of Srixon 745’s in regular that look like they spent their life in a garage for $225 clams.

Tempting.
Shoot at that price, you could afford to do a little shaft fitting, no?

Blessing because you have a plethora of options there.

2xnuxq.jpg

Forget what it says on the shaft, how well do you hit it? Pick the one with the better dispersion. Doesn’t matter if it’s stiff as a flagpole or like a piece of spaghetti, all the matters is where the ball goes.

There is no standard for flex. Which is why so many of us say, go get fit.
Agree with this

I recently went to see about shaft weights and flex with my driver being 88-90 and my irons to being 77-80

we found my best shaft flex was a R2 (senior or more flex) in woods and regular for the irons.

I'm over 95 I'm around 97 and I use regular 🤷‍♂️

I was the same swing speed last measurement. My experience is that the reg vs stiff in the iron shaft for my swing does not make much difference rather the weight does. Give me a full 120g iron shaft and even the regular feels like too much. with a 100g steel iron shaft, I came capable of hitting a great and a very poor shot with either a stiff or regular.

Now in the driver the shaft I was fitted into is a much better fit with me then the premium shaft I bought on the board here. Both are Regular flex 60g shafts. The fitted shaft was my first Regular driver shaft and for many weeks I was skeptical of the advice I'd recieved but I was hitting it well. Then one day I was researching online and I found a site that labled my fitted shaft as a R+ ideal for 97mph swingers while my other shaft was speed optimal for 88. This seems to support the idea that no real standards for categorizing a shafts exists and mentally helped me accept the fitted shaft in regular is where I should be.

Go heavy reg or light stiff and just call it a day!

I used to be a tweener too , when i swung like 111-112 and that is typically what i did. Just used like 70-80g stiffs, or 60g X flex

Or you could get fit, which i'm not sure anyone has recommended yet

Iam in that zone , could border on stiff , went with regular shafts as l anticipate a descent in ability and skill as per my current age …. If the reverse were true then would require a differing approach .

There’s something out there that fits , and optimises your speed and swing , you just have to find it )

There's not necessarily a correlation between swing speed and shaft flex. Some with slow swing speeds do better with stiff and some who are fast do better with regular, not to mention how stiff isn't necessarily stiff, etc. Shaft weight is far more important IMO, so outside of being fit that's a better data point to go by if you're picking blind.

There's not necessarily a correlation between swing speed and shaft flex. Some with slow swing speeds do better with stiff and some who are fast do better with regular, not to mention how stiff isn't necessarily stiff, etc. Shaft weight is far more important IMO, so outside of being fit that's a better data point to go by if you're picking blind.

This. I no longer have the swing speed to justify stiff shaft. But I spent so much time adjusting my swing to my Cobra stiff shaft driver, I'm making it work. That club has been my most consistent club for a couple years now.

I'm in that same range, driver is Reg flex, Nippons Modus 120s in irons and I have no issues with either. Fairways are Ventus red 6S.

I started playing golf when I was 35. I kept being told I was a regular flex player, so then I was all over the place with regular flex. I asked the pro where I played all of the time and he said, men need to use stiff shaft and learn how to hit them. I went with that advice, and it has worked out great. Stiff shafts go straighter. I've never tried to be a long hitter but the straighter I hit the ball the longer it goes. And I've learned how to hit high and low slight draws with my driver. I'm having the most fun ever now and I'm 66 soon to be 67 next month. I'm looking to shoot my age in 2023.

There’s alot more to it than just stiffness printed on the side of the shaft... I’m at 110-115 and some stiff rated shafts are stiffer than other x-stiff rated shafts, not to mention where they flex and how you load the shaft in your swing. I’m all about buying cheap stuff also, but if I like it I end up getting a shaft fitting and still saving money with second hand heads, new shafts and grips over buying new, and I get ALOT more options.

I played Cleveland TA 7 Tours with DG S300 forever so that’s pretty much my basis for comparison. Prior to that were Hogan Edge #4’s. The 745’s I found were DG R300. Have no idea what’s in the Pings I’m playing other than some funky thing with bearings. Ended up yanking the entire works out of the wedge. But now I gotta think about shaft weight because apparently it matters. I miss the old days when you could just pick shiny schit and go play.

Get fit….yadda, yadda, yadda…

Back