Am I the only one who hits my drives less than 250 yds here?

Don’t want to hear it. I am almost exactly 10 years ahead of you. :oops::LOL:
"Your generation doesn't know suffering! When I was a kid...."

"Your generation doesn't know suffering! When I was a kid...."

Hey, I am not claiming I walked 10 miles round trip, through 3 feet of snow, uphill both directions to attend school. :LOL:

Hey, I am not claiming I walked 10 miles round trip, through 3 feet of snow, uphill both directions to attend school. :LOL:

"Back in my day, I had to walk 18, carry my own bags with no cart, fix my own divots and pull the flag stick from hole before putting. And that doesn't even cover having to put a ball in play from a penalty over my shoulder and make sure it didn't hit me on the way down."

Hey, I am not claiming I walked 10 miles ONE WAY, through 3 feet of snow, uphill both directions to attend school. :LOL:

that's the real struggle :LOL:

"Back in my day, I had to walk 18, carry my own bags with no cart, fix my own divots and pull the flag stick from hole before putting. And that doesn't even cover having to put a ball in play from a penalty over my shoulder and make sure it didn't hit me on the way down."

I once bought a Truss putter. Top that! Ok, no more highjacking a good thread...

I thought everyone CARRIED 250yds here...no?

When I got fitted last year my average carry was 219 which was low 230s with roll. This translated pretty well to what I was seeing on the golf course. I worked out this winter and seem to have recovered a bit of my speed. I think I am closer to 240-245 total distance right now although I have had some drives in the 260 range. I got greenside on a 505 yard par 5 on Sunday although it was downwind.

Regarding length I will say everyone I was paired with over the weekend (5 different people) was longer than I was on their best shots. Nobody averaged what I did off the tee. I did play with younger guys who were all athletes and at least 2 of them were capable of approaching 300 yards.

My son who is 21 and hasn't played a ton of golf in his life but is just starting to love it has hit a number of drives in the 270-280 range and comfortably hits his 8 iron 155. However he has frequent crappy shots. When his Mom asked who is longer out of the two of us his response is on average or best shot. He understands the importance of the average distance.

If I'm over 230, I'm happy. If I'm in the fairway AND over 230 you will witness me making a puddle on the tee box with excitement.

I am a longer-ish hitter, esp. for my age (57). But I say over and over, distance is the least interesting part of my game. Yesterday according to arccos one drive was 307 yards (no wind but note 4500 feet elevation). That left me 80 yards to the pin but short sided with a poor angle where I could only see the top of the flag. My best drive of the day was 260 yards where I placed the ball exactly where I wanted it. More and more I'm swinging for 270 yards (my arccos average) and placement control. My FIR have improved significantly as well as my GIR.

Short knocker here. I’ve used game golf for 4+ years and my avg drive is 217 yds with a typical around 225-235 depending on which driver I used. Typical drive on there removes OB and Duffed drives.

that is in NE Ohio where most of the season is cold,wet and soggy.

I tend to hit it a little longer when I travel south in the better climates and firmer courses.

Can’t wait to see what you boys do when you are 73!! I used to find 300 every now and then. Now happy with 200-210!!! Just glad to be out there. Never saw 300 with persimmon but once metal woods and graphite shafts were introduced (along with better golf balls), the whole game changed. Been a fun ride playing for 60 years!!

My average would be lower than 250 if I chose to track such things. I am woefully inconsistent with driver and to be honest it makes golf a lot less fun playing most second shots from the trees. So when I catch one just right I can break the 300 yard barrier and your damn right I am proud of it.

20200425_183148 (3).jpg

I know what your thinking, I could be full of crap and carry the GPS to any point I would like.

20200425_183148.jpg

Luckily I was playing with our own MikeG-74 and he took this picture for me. You can call me an internet golfer all you want but I would caution you against questioning Mikes word unless you like being throat punched.

Internet golfers here my man! Haha. Nobody includes the snaphook in the average. 😜 Plus a lot of times carry and total are two different things depending on conditions.

Not wanting to call anyone out, but it seems like most posts I read are talking about their drives being 260-290+ yards. Is everyone here a pro or are yardages being exaggerated? I don't have yardage envy, just know mine will never reach that distance and neither will anyone I play with regularly. What's your secret ;)

You’re not alone. On average I feel comfortable carrying 200y with the driver. I have a lower ball flight so on a dry day, level ground it’ll roll out quite a bit. If I’m really hitting it well I might carry 220 but I don’t plan on that - it’s an outlier.

When I got fitted last year my average carry was 219 which was low 230s with roll. This translated pretty well to what I was seeing on the golf course. I worked out this winter and seem to have recovered a bit of my speed. I think I am closer to 240-245 total distance right now although I have had some drives in the 260 range. I got greenside on a 505 yard par 5 on Sunday although it was downwind.

Regarding length I will say everyone I was paired with over the weekend (5 different people) was longer than I was on their best shots. Nobody averaged what I did off the tee. I did play with younger guys who were all athletes and at least 2 of them were capable of approaching 300 yards.

My son who is 21 and hasn't played a ton of golf in his life but is just starting to love it has hit a number of drives in the 270-280 range and comfortably hits his 8 iron 155. However he has frequent crappy shots. When his Mom asked who is longer out of the two of us his response is on average or best shot. He understands the importance of the average distance.
You need to play with older guys like me!

I thought everyone CARRIED 250yds here...no?
On our shoulders, uphill, to a blind carry, into the wind, and we're reaching for the tee before out T1100s have even stopped quivering. Right!?

I agree.

A little off-topic, but it's a pet peeve of mine when folks automatically call BS on claims of a certain distance as an average. While there are certainly a high percentage of golfers on the internet who either knowingly or unknowingly exaggerate, there are also a lot of folks who really do average well over 250 yards. These same folks will bring HC into the equation as though outliers don't exist. I know of one individual who averages well over 250 and doesn't have that great of a game. He's just very athletic and doesn't play often enough to get better.
There was a thread on here awhile back asking people what their longest ever drive was. There was some comedic gold in there.

Not wanting to call anyone out, but it seems like most posts I read are talking about their drives being 260-290+ yards. Is everyone here a pro or are yardages being exaggerated? I don't have yardage envy, just know mine will never reach that distance and neither will anyone I play with regularly. What's your secret ;)
Been playing since 1975 with top equipment. Ex Div I scholarship football player,have run 3-5 miles per day 5-7 days a week for 35 years then started a gym routine since I had to stop running. Point being for my age and a good degree younger I can hold my own. Play with mainly scratch players to under 12 HC. Personally think the yardages you see are total fantasy. Interesting study by one of the top golf mags a few years ago where they asked various HCs what they thought their drivers were. The vast majority were 15-50 yds at least shorter than what they percieved their drives to be.

If you really want to get distance, play in Phoenix and miss a lot of fairways 😜 My long drive last week and I had to punch out from under a bush. Some of my longest drives are the most unplayable. At least Arccos does a pretty good job of removing the outliers. I wish I would have hit 245 straight on this hole.
12735107-FE9B-4C80-95EF-A0D3CBF00E4A.png

I always averaged around 250, but now around 230 due to age. I recently purchased the SuperSpeed Swing System (Senior). I'll let you know if it works and what increase if any in yardage I get.

My drives average ~235 yards. No, wait, that was then years ago. Now that I'm 71 I'm really happy with 200 and 220 is once a month.

Back