Another Newbie from Michigan

Welcome to THP? Where in Michigan? I was born in Traverse City and lived in a small town called Fife Lake till about 10. Got lots of family up that way still and around Detroit area.

I'm half way between Ann Arbor and Detroit in SE Michigan. Traverse City is great...we have a place up north but not quite all the way up to TC.

:welcome:
Glad to see another fellow Michigander on here! I'm in Manistee; grew up around Escanaba...

One of the cool things about golf is that you don't have to replace/upgrade your entire set of clubs all at once. Do your research and make a sensible, actionable plan. Some of your old gear may be a regrip away from being decent.

Jeepers, looking through the forum and seeing all the "2023 Albatross Club" badges I thought each of those members scored a verified albatross this calendar year! I couldn't believe how out of my league I was!! I soon discovered the error of my assumptions and see that it's a very philanthropic group. Kudos! (and WHEW!)

Welcome to THP!

And definitely post up your questions!

:welcome:
Glad to see another fellow Michigander on here! I'm in Manistee; grew up around Escanaba...

One of the cool things about golf is that you don't have to replace/upgrade your entire set of clubs all at once. Do your research and make a sensible, actionable plan. Some of your old gear may be a regrip away from being decent.

That's what I'm hoping to post about...I have some ideas on how to go about doing just that - but wanted input from the forum on how to dovetail together "modern" clubs with my vintage miscellany. Should I do that here?

Welocme to THP!

Welcome to THP! Don't worry about your handicap, all handicaps/skill levels are welcome here and discussion of equipment runs the entire spectrum from Tour pros to beginner sets. Nobody is looked down upon or disparaged as long as you follow THP Rule #1 ("don't be a d**k"). Enjoy the community, it's a great place!

Welcome to THP!

That's what I'm hoping to post about...I have some ideas on how to go about doing just that - but wanted input from the forum on how to dovetail together "modern" clubs with my vintage miscellany. Should I do that here?

Honestly, I would just create a thread in the Golf Clubs and equipment forum. You'll get more pointed responses to your specific questions. Welcome to THP! We're glad you found us!!!

Welcome Roland, from another Michiganian (just can’t do the Michigander thing!).

Welcome to THP from a fellow Michiganian!

Don't worry about getting in the way. You'll find a very helpful membership here.

But, be warned: They're especially adept at helping you spend your money :ROFLMAO:
Not to thread jack, but I noticed you typed michiganian.

I always call people from Michigan - Michiganians and I catch hell. They always say "it's Michigander" or something like that.

I like michiganian better. It's more fun to say and I'm going to keep saying it 😁

I always call people from Michigan - Michiganians and I catch hell. They always say "it's Michigander" or something like that.

I like michiganian better. It's more fun to say and I'm going to keep saying it 😁

Michigan Radio did an unscientific Twitter Poll and "Michigander" won an overwhelming 91.8% of the votes. "Michiganian" was at 5.8%. I say "Michigander" but I agree that it's a weird term and I don't know that I have a preference. "Michiganian" does seem to make more sense though, doesn't it?

Honestly, I would just create a thread in the Golf Clubs and equipment forum. You'll get more pointed responses to your specific questions. Welcome to THP! We're glad you found us!!!

Thank you - I'll do just that. I was hoping someone would offer some guidance on the most appropriate place for such a thing - so thank you again!

Welcome to THP! Don't worry about your handicap, all handicaps/skill levels are welcome here and discussion of equipment runs the entire spectrum from Tour pros to beginner sets. Nobody is looked down upon or disparaged as long as you follow THP Rule #1 ("don't be a d**k"). Enjoy the community, it's a great place!

Amen to that friend! I do love spending time on forums for any hobbies or interests that crop up, but boy oh boy are there toxic communities out there! I genuinely have zero interest in being one of those people so it's nice to find a place where it's actually discouraged. I am turning 50 this fall and I am a public librarian, so I'm too old and too mellow to be looking for tussling on the ole' interwebs. Thanks for the welcome! (and boy it just hit me...breaking 50 the year I turn 50 sounds like a fun goal!)

I was born and raised in Sand Lake, MI. Little town just north of Rockford. Had a bunch of courses around to play at. Best one being Pilgrims run, which funny enough sits on top of part of the plantation my family use to own. Still a couple of original buildings still standing there that are over 150 years old. Pretty cool place.

Funny thing about golf is we are all not that good haha. I picked golf back up about 2 years ago after going about 8 years of not swinging a club at all. Took awhile to get it back but im shooting 45s on 9 holes pretty regularly. I wouldnt do anything more then maybe regrip your clubs for a couple years. If your really itching tho, some new wedges and a driver is always a fun start. Play it again sports can score you some nice upgrades every so often. I got a near brand new Taylormade Sim2 Driver for 150$.

Cool things about drivers and woods these days is they give you the ability to change lofts by adjusting the shaft. The other big side effect is you can buy new and better shafts that your favorite brands adapter and swap your shafts yourself no problem. I thought that was pretty slick when I got back in the game.

Welcome to THP. I hope you enjoy the forum. If you have questions or want suggestions or advice about equipment you will get some solid answers and guidance here. It’s that kind of place here.

Yeah. I regard "Michigander," a combination of "Michigan" and "gander," a male goose, silly word and I refuse to use it.

Michigan Radio did an unscientific Twitter Poll and "Michigander" won an overwhelming 91.8% of the votes.
Well, Michigan Radio
rolleyes.gif

I say "Michigander" but I agree that it's a weird term and I don't know that I have a preference. "Michiganian" does seem to make more sense though, doesn't it?
Somebody wrote a piece, years ago, showing how "Michiganian" was more syntactically (?) correct than "MIchigander." Wish I could find it.

Back