Are Flop Shots part of your game?

If the ball is sitting up, it’s lie dependent.

I love a good flop shot. I only pull it out when I'm hitting over a bunker or if there's not much green to work with. About 85% of the time it works every time ;)

I love a good flop shot. I only pull it out when I'm hitting over a bunker or if there's not much green to work with. About 85% of the time it works every time ;)
Better than 60% lol.

Better than 60% lol.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I play on an executive course with deep rough around the greens.
Missed a flop shot and and it landed high on the wall of the bunker.
Disaster? Not really. Took a stroke and distance penalty and took the shot again.
This time I made a nice pitch that landed close to the hole.

I understand the concept, and given the right lie can pull it off, but it's definitely a couple times a year thing I try.

It's a specialty shot and one that is a last resort. I can do it, but there are other shots I would prefer to hit.

you betcha!

when there is a tie in a scramble at my home course, the playoff is a 28-35 yard shot to a rock hard green with 2 trees between you and the green and the ball must come to rest on the green to count. I've won 3 of the playoffs(all I've been in) with full swing flops.

I play with a guy who hits flop shots to back pins from just off front of green. Every situation.

oh wait.

“Flop shots”

Yeah, I figure if that’s the shot I need then I’m already in enough trouble. Might as well finish screwing things up or pull off the hero shot.

No, and they shouldn't be.
Don't go play at Victoria National then. I had to hit several of them through out the Victory Cup. Some I pulled off, a few were close, and a couple that went too long.

you betcha!

when there is a tie in a scramble at my home course, the playoff is a 28-35 yard shot to a rock hard green with 2 trees between you and the green and the ball must come to rest on the green to count. I've won 3 of the playoffs(all I've been in) with full swing flops.
Love it (y) Reminds me of a game a buddy and I used to play when we were stationed together in NM and then years later in OH. We'd each get 5 holes a round where we'd setup a shot to get closest to our marker on the next tee box for $1 each. Over, under, between trees; forced runners or shots that would have hit into a bank and ricochet etc... Hit A LOT of flops in that game. Our between hole game was often more competitive and cut throat than the actual golf. Wide open golf courses were so fun, I miss them.

I started using one more this year with mixed success. I’d say I was 40/50 percent successful on the year. Definitely was better the last few weeks.

I can hit a good flop, but usually better from a tighter lie. I get under it easily if fluffy. Try to only use when absolutely necessary.

20231031_164358.jpg

Only in situations like right now where it was absolutely necessary.

Yay or nay? Is a flop shot a reliable part of your game? Im talking about short distance, send it up high and drop it straight down on your target? You pulling it off or blading one across the green like me?

Other than a fluffy lie, I don't have the shot in the bag off a regular lie. Wish I did, but it’s not something I rely on or at this point, even practice.
Nay for me. I’ve maybe tried 1 or 2 all year … I just try land my 54° on my spot

No. I am way too afraid skulling one about 75 yards away or taking a size 12 out of the turf and it moving backward a yard than at my intended target.

Always has been.
Getting into Golf in early 90s a Practice Range allowed me to show up early and Pitch their Range Balls back on Range. Sometimes in Evergreens and sometimes behind. 65 deg for straight up Flops, bent 61 deg mild Flops, and Sand Wedge for under Trees. I'D do this for an hour and then head to work. Just so much fun and it taught me contact.

I hit flop shots. But not as good as I think I am at them.

I've tried, but no. I'm better off leaving it out at this point in time.

Yas Yes GIF by StickerGiant

Back