Are you accurate with a fairway wood?

My Callaway HeavenWood is my go to club for 190-200. I just love it. I hope to have good results with my Ping K15 3W. I haven't hit it much yet.

"Accurate" and "Fairway wood" never made it into the same sentence for me, so no longer even carry one.
Drop from driver to hybrids or some days Driver to 4i

Fairway woods? Nope! I'll rarely use them on the tee if I'm scared to hit driver. My 4h on the other hand is generally easy money. I've never had more confidence in finding the exact center of the FW with any club. I can't really turn it over but if I'm happy with a 3 yard fade (which I am every time) and willing to sacrifice 100 yards for accuracy (maybe sometimes) its the surest club in my bag. I swing it with an easy iron type swing and carry it almost exactly 215 every time. Rollout from there varies but if you set a 5 gallon bucket out at 215 and gave me a million bucks to dunk one, that'd be my club every single time. It's stupid easy to hit. I can't really do much more with it, but as far as being 99% safe and a go to club, this would be it for me. It's a weird club for me as I tend to sky everything, even long irons. Not this one, it's usually low and a slight fade. So far it is 100% snap hook free, which this season is as good as it gets. I've never liked hybrids until now. This ones a keeper though.

My Big Bertha 5 wood was my hope for those 215-220 yard par 3's.
I cranked up the loft ( 6wood???), hoping for a controlled bomber.
Out of 15 shots at 220:
2 shots on the green.
3-4 balls maybe 10 foot off the green.(front and sides)
5 balls 15+ foot off the green. (front and sides)
The rest are way off.
I treat a par 3 like this as a par 4.
Par will be a bonus!

Not really. Some days it works, other’s I’m just hoping for close. Off a tee it’s better typically but still not great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stop using my fairways and switched completely to hybrids for more dialed in control.

Played an impromptu round yesterday evening. Weren't with the kids to the range and decided on a whim to play instead. Found out on tee 1 that I didn't have a FW in my bag. Hit the 4h off the tee twice and I'm again of the mind to never hit another FW again. That club is just money for me. It's a full 100 yards back from driver (don't ask, but with less than driver I try for control and to hit a distance, not hit it for distance). That club is stupid straight and I'd play on tour if every club would be as accurate. If I hit it on a tight shirt par 4 or 5, it's almost guaranteed to be in the exact dead center of the FW. I haven't missed a fairway yet with it. Granted I've only had it for a maybe ten rounds but it's been the best straight club I've ever had. The only drawback is it just doesn't have another gear. It might, but I can't play it that way. I've tried on the range and it flies about the same even when trying to crank it.

I have taken my 3 wood out of the bag, for me, it was feast or famine. I played the last 3 rounds with driver/hybrid, and my scores have been great. I have figured out I have driver for most holes, and if I need a shorter club that I have to get in the fairway, the hybrid is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back