Are you goal oriented?

Are you goal oriented?

• Yes, I play better when I have a goal (leader board watcher)

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No, one shot at a time.

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters

Sharkguy95

Dreamer
Reaction score
Handicap
+0.2
I've been pondering this and it seems to go against what I've been taught growing up. That is, "One shot at a time. Don't get ahead of yourself. Be patient.." etc.

Lately I've notice a huge spike in performance when I have a goal in my mind other than 'the next shot'. For instance today I was playing a pretty forgiving course with an old friend and I had lost 4 balls through the first 14 holes and was really frustrated. I hit a good drive on the par 5 15th and decided I needed a pep in my step so I said,

"Would you buy me dinner if I played the next four holes three under?"

and he said,

"Alright that's fair"

Suddenly I felt extremely focused. I knew what I had to do, and I was starving! I hit a 7 iron to 25 feet and two putted for birdie. #16 was a par 3 and I hit an 8 iron to a few feet and tapped in for another birdie. #17 I striped a 3 wood down the left side and airmailed a PW I was so jacked up. I ended up bogeying and paring the last hole to finish the last four one under.

Even though I didn't achieve my goal, I was close and knocking on the door.

As I stated earlier it goes against what I've been taught. I think I know why it works for me but, I'm curious to see if any of you have had success with a similar mentality.

So my question to you is:

Are you a goal oriented golfer? Does putting a number in your head give you motivation to grind (trying to break 100, 90, 80 etc), or do you keep your head down and go through each shot and tally it up at the end?

Last edited:
I think this question has very different answer based on ones over all ability. For many mid and higher cappers the goal is one shot at a time and achieving that will then bring the goal of better average scores. But you speak of competition and also from a completely different level of play vs most people. When one is very good at anything they can often trun the after burners on or off based on the environment they are in. Its just that simple imo. When your that good.
But I suppose your question (the way the whole post is worded) is more for those players who are that good anyway. The world you live in on the golf course is quite different than most people. My answer as a mid to high teens capper is probably not relevant in this thread now that I think more about it. So why am I here? because I already took the time to write this so I may as well leave it :)

I think this question has very different answer based on ones over all ability. For many mid and higher cappers the goal is one shot at a time and achieving that will then bring the goal of better average scores. But you speak of competition and also from a completely different level of play vs most people. When one is very good at anything they can often trun the after burners on or off based on the environment they are in. Its just that simple imo. When your that good.
But I suppose your question (the way the whole post is worded) is more for those players who are that good anyway. The world you live in on the golf course is quite different than most people. My answer as a mid to high teens capper is probably not relevant in this thread now that I think more about it. So why am I here? because I already took the time to write this so I may as well leave it :)

I suppose I did word it in that way, but I still think it applies to everyone. Challenging yourself to not make higher than a bogey during a round (or double bogey) could be a great goal. Having a # of total putts in mind could be a great one too. I think a person of any skill level can apply it to their game and see results, good or bad as they may be (what I'm trying to find out from others).

Hi, I usually set goals. Maybe not for a individual round, but a bit more long term. Could be to reach a certain hcp, avoid 3 putts or other things. This makes me focus more and I play a bit better.

I don't set a number for a round and do take it one shot at a time. Iirc Dr. Rotella said to play without expectations

I try not to look ahead during a round. Have my best success when I concentrate on the shot at hand.

Not when I'm playing, it's one shot at a time. I think goals put too much internal pressure on you when you're playing. During practice I am very goal oriented.

I try to have a goal when I play, usually it's a really vague goal...Don't lose any balls, no three putts etc. I don't try to have a specific score in mind as that just seems to fail miserably.

I suppose I did word it in that way, but I still think it applies to everyone. Challenging yourself to not make higher than a bogey during a round (or double bogey) could be a great goal. Having a # of total putts in mind could be a great one too. I think a person of any skill level can apply it to their game and see results, good or bad as they may be (what I'm trying to find out from others).

very well then.
Imo one can have any goal they want about what they want to score on any given hole or in any round but none of it means anything unless each shot is then executed the way its planned. That's why imo it really cant be anything more than a "one shot at a time" mentality. I mean one can make shot choices more or less aggressively based on what they want or need to do while playing a given hole and whethere or not they are in competitive golf or casual golf. But still its all only about the ability to execute the chosen shots successfully. One shot at a time imo and with smart choices at my current ability is the only and best way to move along towards a goal of averaging the best scores I can.

I plan each hole from the tee on how best to par the hole and that is what I base my tee shot club choice on and if I make that one I then continue my plan with the next shot and so on. As soon as I fail to make any shot then it all changes accordingly. If I fail my tee shot then my plan has to change. If I fail the next shot then the plan changes again. Its all and can only be one shot at a time and when it works and all shots are made then evrrything is perfect. When shots are failed , the plan is to then be perfect from that new place for the rest of the hole. If another shot fails then its a new plan from that place. Its a one shot at a time gam imo.

One can have a goal but that doesn't mean nor make it such that he will then play any better. In fact....for many players and as the caps get higher, its too often the goal that causes poor choices and even worse scores via taking more shots they have less chance of success doing. I mean if losing a competition you may be forced to take some of those shots. But when looking for better scores on average and having a goal of playing better golf through periods of time, its all about one shot at a time imo. thinking more than that doesn't imo make anyone more successful at making shots.

Does no good for me to think about previous shots/holes. Nothing I can change about them.

I don't think about shots I have yet to stand over.

I don't think goals are bad, but I think it's best to stay in the moment and focus on the task at hand.

Yes. I have a number between a high and a low when I play. Never a dead on number, just a for real chance number.

I choose "yes" though I don't usually (as of late) go out to shoot a specific number, per say. My goal whenever I play is to shoot in the 70's, and anything in the 70's and I'm happy, but of course the lower in the 70's the better.

continually have goals in mind...head to a weekend round working on one thing...when in tournament prep, work on specific shots, and distances...

I am a heavily goal oriented person....

My mind set when playing is think about the shot I am on and where I will leave myself if I hit it or where I will end if I mishit, then make my choice of club selection. I try to stay in the moment and play from there.

Whenever i have a goal or high expectation, round goes opposite way. therefore one shot at a time.

I primarily go with "One shot at a time.", however, my overarching goal is to use only 5 shots to complete a hole.

I have long term goals over short term ones.
5 years ago it was to beat 100
3 years ago it was to beat 90
Last year was to beat 80
This year was to par my home course (9 hole course)
And since I shot par on 9, now my goal this year is to beat 75 on 18 holes.

For short term, not really goals, but I will focus on one thing when I'm playing like tempo, or keeping my wrist correct on my back swing, or doing a full turn, and only focus on one thing at a time as I have been overloaded before, and learned nothing, lol.

Back