Are you happy with the state of the PGA Tour ?

HarryPotter

Reaction score
This is by no means an original question, but I think it warrants a discussion here. I will even steal the poll that No Laying Up posted:

Would you rather watch a WGC event played in Memphis or Ireland?

Do you enjoy the product that we are given week in and week out?

Not talking about the players, because obviously this is an incredible time to be a fan, but rather, what would you do differently?

Lots to unpack and discuss and I look forward to seeing the different sides.

Personally, I’d much rather watch a WGC in Ireland. I find a lot of the layouts that we see from week to week incredibly boring and indistinguishable. While we got an awesome finish at the 3M, the course didn’t really do much for me in terms of interest. The Irish Open, on the other hand, was an absolute home run. Lahinch looked and played awesome, and Royal Portrush is going to be a standout on the calendar for me.

I know the reason the tour is how it is - money - but I think they can and should do better for the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we have seen some great tournaments, but I think they need to fix a few things.
Some of these tournaments due to scheduling get left in the dust and that needs to be rectified.

Absolutely not. While I was really excited for the schedule change this year, I really hate it now that we are nearly through it. Everything feels very rushed and compact. I don't like coming up on the Open Championship knowing that there will be no PGA championship after it.

Maybe I just need another year or two to get used to it. Other than the scheduling, all is good.

Absolutely not. While I was really excited for the schedule change this year, I really hate it now that we are nearly through it. Everything feels very rushed and compact. I don't like coming up on the Open Championship knowing that there will be no PGA championship after it.

Maybe I just need another year or two to get used to it. Other than the scheduling, all is good.

It does feel too condensed to me as well, good point.

I am not a fan of the new schedule. Everything feels very condensed, and after next weekend, feel like nothing is going to really "matter" for a long time. It also is keeping the stars from playing certain events since the majors are now grouped so close together.

I'm still not sold on the new schedule. I think it allows players to take more of a break than we have seen and there are stretches where it seems way to bunched up.

Surely a WGC event (World Golf Championships) should encompass the world? Not just Dubai or USA

Surely a WGC event (World Golf Championships) should encompass the world? Not just Dubai or USA

This, 100 percent. I’d love to see an event in the UK or Ireland, Hell, I think an event in the sand belt of Australia would rule.

I actually like this part of it, as it moves the FedEx Cup to new spotlight.

Real question here: do you care about the FedEx cup in its current format?

For me, it’s just another tournament week after week. Will never happen, but I’d love to see a couple of weeks of seeding tournaments and then match play down the stretch. As it stands, it doesn’t move the needle.

That's what I originally liked about it too. I'm not yet comfortable with how the effect it had on the majors played out. It could also be the new venues like Detroit and MN and losing venues like Firestone that is an adjustment. But that's all about sponsorship money and not necessarily the schedule.

I actually like how the Major championships have been shuffled.

No matter what people say to me the PGA being last just lacked some luster to it, in my opinion. Yes they're just as important as winning any of the other 3 Majors(Maybe not prestige wise but you get my point)

When people would rank the Majors, even here on THP, the PGA would usually be 4th. And I'm sure some people had it 2nd or 3rd, hell maybe even 1st, but a majority had it 4th.

The Open is fantastic and I like how that finishes the Major season, I'm fully embracing the change from that aspect.

In terms of the PGA Tour. I like the West Coast/Florida/Texas swings. But I'd be lying if I said the Valspar didn't get completely screwed on the schedule, but I digress.

Real question here: do you care about the FedEx cup in its current format?

For me, it’s just another tournament week after week. Will never happen, but I’d love to see a couple of weeks of seeding tournaments and then match play down the stretch. As it stands, it doesn’t raise the needle.

I do honestly. They have made enough tweaks where the ending thing is kind of match play.

I think the Majors are most compelling events to watch, so for that reason my preference was that the PGA Championship keep its traditional August spot on the schedule.
But the PGA Tour does not own any of the 4 Majors, so in search of its own money grab the Tour created the playoff format. And by forcing the PGA of America to move its Major from August to May, the PGA Tour hopes its playoff concept will gain more traction and credibility.

But I'd be lying if I said the Valspar didn't get completely screwed on the schedule, but I digress.

I agree. Valspar felt like an afterthought this year. It's usually one of my favorites on the Florida swing.

I do honestly. They have made enough tweaks where the ending thing is kind of match play.

I can see that for sure with the reduced field. Last year, albeit awesome with Tiger winning the tour championship, felt so weird to me though. Justin Rose standing up there with a trophy after not winning the tournament felt... off.

I think I like the Tour schedule. You get golfers engaged early on in the year that may not officially be starting their golf season interested and maybe watching a little more.

That said it does feel like the season is rushed a bit. I feel like some of the tournaments that normally held my attention, don't anymore. I am not sure if that is because the bigger names are taking longer breaks (or it seems) or I just have more going on personally and I am not viewing golf as much as I used.

Aside from the schedule issues, I think there isn't enough golf being shown on TV. It's a few shots and then a puff piece, commercials or some stupid cut away to something that takes away from actually viewing golf. This is the most frustrating thing when I am trying to get into a broadcast only to get three or four golf shots within a 30 minute time span.

schedules change as it becomes tough to find sponsorships, and i don't know much can be done to deal with that.

i think the euro tour is incredible at showcasing the personalities of its players. i want more of that on the pga tour. honestly, the euro tour feels like callaway, and our tour feels like titleist. one is cool, one is...

I think I like the Tour schedule. You get golfers engaged early on in the year that may not officially be starting their golf season interested and maybe watching a little more.

That said it does feel like the season is rushed a bit. I feel like some of the tournaments that normally held my attention, don't anymore. I am not sure if that is because the bigger names are taking longer breaks (or it seems) or I just have more going on personally and I am not viewing golf as much as I used.

Aside from the schedule issues, I think there isn't enough golf being shown on TV. It's a few shots and then a puff piece, commercials or some stupid cut away to something that takes away from actually viewing golf. This is the most frustrating thing when I am trying to get into a broadcast only to get three or four golf shots within a 30 minute time span.

CBS kills the flow of the broadcasts, so brutal. Was trying not to bring up coverage but I’m with you here!

Also, you are right with the big names taking breaks. Tiger has only played the memorial since winning the masters.... we’ve had some great new winners pop up, but it is a drag.

Last edited:
I've liked the tour changes so far this year, but wonder how I will feel after the Open Championship is over. Maybe it will help build some extra hype for the FedEx Cup.

I can see that for sure with the reduced field. Last year, albeit awesome with Tiger winning the tour championship, felt so weird to me though. Justin Rose standing up there with a trophy after not winning the tournament felt... off.

Now this I agree with. They need to fix it too.
I also think the wrap around schedule is kind of a joke.
Every fan knows when the schedule starts and stops haha.

So far I have enjoyed this season but haven't thought much about this season versus last. I do feel like it has kept the excitement up but some of the smaller tournaments seem to have suffered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like the new schedule. I think the two new tournaments kind of suck but I hate the tournaments where -20 wins.

I like the WGC in Memphis. Probably because it’s an hour away and my bro-in-law is a Southwind member.

All in all, I’m fine with it I suppose.

I like the PGA moving to May and the playoffs being shortened an event. I don't like the jammed up spring schedule that resulted from those moves. With the reorg of the schedule, some tournaments really got screwed.

I don't like the schedule "beginning" in September. My golf watching year has pretty much been over at the Tour Championship. I just looked at the fall 2018 events and recall watching only brief pieces of a couple of those events. I'm sure I'll adapt and watch more but that part of the schedule is forced.

I'd really like the PGA to do a shot clock event two weeks before a major. The Tour should work with, or pay, whatever event is in that spot to get it done so you can have a really good field. An event like that would still be fun at other times of the year but I'd like to see the big names on the clock. You'll have some drop out of it but I'd bet most would play it. Hell, maybe the PGA Championship should do it.

On the broadcast side of things, I agree there are too many commercials.

I'm sick of Jim Nantz. And Nick Faldo and Gary McCord. I'd like to see Darren Clark as a commentator.

I like the fact that there is an event in the South in the summer. It's always pissed me off that the US Open is very nearly exclusively played in north central, northeastern and western parts parts of the country. Outside of Pinehurst and Southern Hills, you have to go back to 1976 to find an Open played at a "southern" venue.

I’m happy with it. The schedule feels compressed, but I find myself wondering how these guys go week after week without seeing their families. So I’m good with longer breaks for them. I guess they aren’t obligated to play week in week out, but I’m sure there is pressure to do so.

Back