Arizona THP Golf League

Fun playing together guys, hopefully I play as well when we play Whirlwind in a few weeks.

@azrsx
@echico nice round
@tucsoncacti
Amazing day out. @azrsx and I got free lessons in how to play golf cause @echico and @MSEASU ******* played lights out. Monster drives and amazing iron play.

Also FWIW I knew I may have been playing with the wrong bunch when on the second hole par 5 Ricardo's ball was next to a tree 30 yards right of green (hitting 3). It literally was unplayable. But the magician (he's a ******* magician) turns backwards and swings his club backwards with one hand no less, makes beautiful contact with the ball hitting it between 2 bunkers, and the ball rests opposite side of green about 5 yards off, chip and a putt later for par. I was trying to get my phone out to record it because this would have been a epic video.

Ouch, get well soon.
Are you converting to one length now?
Here is my story of OL....

I’m a dinosaur. I’ve played golf so long that I could not imagine another way. But so many from the group have gone to the cobra SZ driver and a few went to OL irons I had to know. So I went to the SZ driver and loved it....I had to keep going.

@phoffer after much begging let me try to use his OL Forged tec irons for a week, including OL wedges. These clubs included the JumboMax grips....which I thought I could never play bc I’m a dinosaur.

Bryson IMO has changed the game and I had to try. So here is what I learned:

Forgiveness: compared to my Epics, comparative. Long irons were better w OL Forged tecs but not that better to switch. Loved the trajectory of the longer irons but flew too high with the shorter irons. Could be because of the shafts Recoils vs catalysts.

Distance: Epics win for sure as OL is about a club shorter. Even more with the shorter irons. Wedges for me were hard to control the distance but in time I think I could figure it out. Low spinners from within 100 yards were able to be hit though.

Feel: OL Forged tecs win here too. Very good feel and I could swing any club without knowing what it was stamped with. I even tried that out. You know when you hit the sweet spot but for me no jumpers.

Dispersion: I only hit the OL for a week so this is hard. I was able to keep the OL in a nice grouping but my Epics are better. Time with the clubs could be an issue.

Spin: OL wins here again. I got about 6 to 7 feet of spin with the OL vs Epic but it may again be the shaft. The Epics normally have about a ft.

Short game: This will require the most time with OL but it is more than possible. Bunkers were the most confusing as I kept getting more sand and shorter shots than I thought. OL wedges were great at controlling the distance though within 20 yards which was a huge surprise to me.

Overall I could game OL Forged tecs without a doubt. These will benefit players with less time to practice or those that want to dedicate more time for driver and short game.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I ordered the Jumbo Max grips for every club in the bag. They relieve the tension in my swing and just feel more natural now.

I will return to my Epic Forged with new grips but this was eye opening for me to be sure.

Some updates:

I am just so thrilled with how @Wildcat4life took everything and gave it a genuine try. I have pushed back at him contemplating OL for about a month now, but he finally wore me down and that's how this happened. But I knew that he was going to do everything he could to make it work, and I think it's been eye opening for a lot of people.

His feedback is awesome, go read it one more time. I was honestly a little surprised, my shafts (Recoil 460 esx) are completely opposite of his Catalyst, but that man is so good he can work with anything.

As for my round- I had a goal 105, I figured if I could do that, then I'd either win a hat or Chris would go so low that I wouldn't be getting clubs back. Win-Win.

101 boom

I hit 10/12 fairways with my 5 wood (dramatically increased), I hit some bombs (3 shots >250), I had a lot of creativity with my 7 iron, and honestly had a great day with a lot of progress on some small but hugely beneficial swing tweaks Chris got me to make.

I did a great job avoiding trouble, only went in 2 bunkers and they were towards the end, and had some good course management. I did find a couple terrible situations, and had some trouble around the greens, so I think I would have shot around 92-93 if I had a wedge with me. And honestly, I putted very poorly. With all the stuff I was thinking about, I basically took a 5 minute mental vacation every time I got on a green haha

I have more range coming so that these tweaks can become natural, but wow I'm salivating just thinking about what will come from this.

I told Chris that there was no way I would accept victory by withdrawal. Only if it was unlikely he could tie me (shooting 71). He says that wouldn't have happened, although I strongly believe he would have shot 73-74 if he didn't get injured.

In summary, I think this was a great week for both of us, we made our brains think a little more than usual, we both have takeaways that will help us going forward, and honestly it's just awesome to continue growing as friends and build up our group of awesome THPers.

Amazing day out. @azrsx and I got free lessons in how to play golf cause @echico and @MSEASU ******* played lights out. Monster drives and amazing iron play.

Also FWIW I knew I may have been playing with the wrong bunch when on the second hole par 5 Ricardo's ball was next to a tree 30 yards right of green (hitting 3). It literally was unplayable. But the magician (he's a ******* magician) turns backwards and swings his club backwards with one hand no less, makes beautiful contact with the ball hitting it between 2 bunkers, and the ball rests opposite side of green about 5 yards off, chip and a putt later for par. I was trying to get my phone out to record it because this would have been a epic video.

Ha ha yes it was funny because I hit 2 of those on the practice chipping green and it was skull city. I told myself don't use that today and the first opportunity I pulled out of the bag. It was a good day because I didn't crash the scooter.

My money was on you until I saw your bag. Hope there are no sand traps
I was 1/2 getting out of the sand safely, although it was not enjoyable lol
I’m playing with Chris tomorrow, so I’ll get to see him wield those OLs in person! As far as picking someone...sorry Paul, but I think Chris will do wonders with the OL clubs.
Paul if you had a few more clubs I would pick you but that is going to be TOUGH! Chris has had some good practice so hard not to pick him!
Thanks for buying my Big Tour fairway for $600

When I heard 30 strokes, my vote was all you. When I saw the WITB, I couldn't help but give the nod to Chris. Sounds like a fun day either way though, looking forward to hearing about it!

Well, you guys all had good logic in picking Chris. I can't fault you, too much at least. Except for DoubleB cause he's witnessed me in competitive play, he should know better :ROFLMAO:

I was 1/2 getting out of the sand safely, although it was not enjoyable lol

Thanks for buying my Big Tour fairway for $600

Well, you guys all had good logic in picking Chris. I can't fault you, too much at least. Except for DoubleB cause he's witnessed me in competitive play, he should know better :ROFLMAO:
It’s hard enough to get out of AZ bunkers with a sw much less a 7i. You have mad skills.

@phoffer wins this challenge easily. I was forced to WD. Dislocated my ankle in a gopher hole when I stepped back watching my ball. I saw my foot 90 degrees from my leg and had to pop it back in. All is well but it just swelled up huge when I got home.

View attachment 8951765
OUCH, man - you did a Tony Finau! That had to suck, hope you heal up quickly!

In for:
8/22
9/20
10/18

A little over a week until round two, boys! Freaking pumped!!!!👊

@echico highly recommends the single rider scooter at Whirlwind.

Really looking forward to event #2. Whirlwind Cattail is a fun track.

Please add me to the October 18 and November 21 event roster

Last edited:
What time are we teeing off? Hot ass hell out here, pretty sure I got heat exhaustion yesterday working outside for a couple hours.

To mix up the styles of event from time to time we will be doing some team events. The July 19th event will be our first team event. It will we a 2 man Blind Draw Best Ball Event. We have 20 players so I will draw teams tonight.

Format will be as follows:

Players will receive a handicap allowance of 90% of their current GHIN Handicap. In Best Ball format, each player plays his own ball just as in regular stroke play (best ball is often confused with scramble format where you choose the shot you like best and both play from that position).

The team score is the lower NET score of the two players for that hole. Pops (or bumps) will be based on the Course Handicap hole rating (with 90% allowance). Example: a 4 handicap player receives 1 stroke on handicap holes 1-4, while an 18 handicap player receives 1 stroke on each hole.

Payouts will be for lowest 3 teams in stroke play.
Team competition will replace the regular skins for this event. Don’t forget to send in $10 via Venmo to @AZTHP before your tee time.

What time are we teeing off? Hot ass hell out here, pretty sure I got heat exhaustion yesterday working outside for a couple hours.
I believe the first group goes off at 9am

Wildcat did a random draw the other day and texted me that we are the last tee time in his group. So we won’t tee off until close to 1000

Wildcat did a random draw the other day and texted me that we are the last tee time in his group. So we won’t tee off until close to 1000

Team Pairings for Whirlwind event:

First Group: 9 am tee time
@MagicSpell and @MSEASU. with @mtbloco and @robrandalgz

9:07 am
@phoffer and @patricko with @AzBirdgang and @sourmash

9:14 am
@echico and @AzGolfer with @TommyTomas and @Roadrunner

9:21 am
@tucsoncacti and @Doubleb21. with @ProV1 and @Stribs

9:28 am
@Wildcat4life and @MasterShanker with @oumagic and @azrsx

Last edited:
😂 let’s do this

REMEMBER this is a Sunday event. Some of you think its on Saturday. :):)

😂 let’s do this
I thought the tee times were more spread out and that is why I suggested we would tee off close to 10. 9:30 will be better!

Important information about Whirlwind from the practice round last week.

1. No Natty's on the beer cart.
2. The beer was in 12oz cans (not 16) in the beer cart
3. By the time we roll around to the 16th hole I doubt there will be many people out by the pool.
4. There are water jugs out on the course with boxes of gloves to push the spout.

Important information about Whirlwind from the practice round last week.

1. No Natty's on the beer cart.
2. The beer was in 12oz cans (not 16) in the beer cart
3. By the time we roll around to the 16th hole I doubt there will be many people out by the pool.
4. There are water jugs out on the course with boxes of gloves to push the spout.

Oh no what is @Wildcat4life going to do with out any Naturday!

Back