Arizona THP Golf League

I will play either or. I don’t like to bring people down with my game play either and the last two league rounds have been really high scoring for me. I went from a 93 at National a few weeks ago to 109 at Whirlwind yesterday. It’s tough having a game like that and I wouldn’t wish that type of score on anyone, individual or team play. @echico carried me all day long. Wish I could’ve had that 93 gameplay in my bag for him, but it just didn’t happen.
On to the next one...Looking forward to Sedona and seeing you all soon!

@robrandalgz and I sure felt we played some bad golf yesterday. But we each had moments where we put it together. Randy pulled more weight for the team that's for sure. I started about as bad as one could carding my ESC before reaching the green. ANd had to write down three 7s and tw 8s! However I managed to contribute to 3.5 holes on the front and another 3.5 holes on the back. Making a birdie (net eagle) on a tough hole after making par on a visually challenging par three to contribute back to back 2s on our scorecard was definitely the highlight of my playing round.

I some how managed to keep it under 100, but the fluidity in my swing that I had managed to develop is sure gone. I'm back to a crazy toe-eyed hook monster.

Had a great time yesterday! The sun and heat absolutely killed me. I got home and crashed hard all night!

Holy smokes Chuck can play! He's the real MVP that's for sure. His back probably hurts this morning from carrying me around for 18 holes! :)

Brian and Sean - great playing with you guys. So many pars/birdies between the two of you!

Looking forward to Sedona.

I prefer individual events for a few reasons.

1. As a 9-10 I am not good enough to carry a team solo. Also If I get paired up with a lower handicap that eliminates other teams right away (2 high handicaps)
2. Not having skins. Look I don't think everyone wants to do a prize fund and then skins money for every event. That is fine but I went through a stretch yesterday where I knew our team wasn't in the running anymore and there were no skins to play for so no effort was given. That's a me thing I need to work on but that is classic sandbagger activity. I ran my score up to a 90 when I just shot 75 there 2 weeks ago.
3. @AzGolfer was out there giving his all and I left him high and dry on a few holes because I was trying to play hero golf to get us back into the round. My game was altered because of my internal competitiveness and I was not pleasant for a few holes. My playing partners were cool but I don't like being that douchey in rounds.

I am not entering this round into my handicap for a few reasons. Illegal drop on 7 (wasn't going to go back and play from original spot for lost ball), didn't finish on 8, didn't finish on 10.

I prefer individual events for a few reasons.

1. As a 9-10 I am not good enough to carry a team solo. Also If I get paired up with a lower handicap that eliminates other teams right away (2 high handicaps)

I believe Randy and I were the the highest average capped team. P.H of 18 and 19, respectively. With handicapped events even at some adjustment (90% in this case). we very much had a change to compete for prize money. I'm not sure either of us believed that during our round, but in the end we tied for 4th and only 1 stroke from third. One of the great things about I league is that we all have legit handicaps. That means it's only a matter of rising up and playing to that potential that lets you have a shat at "winnings". For skins, it's more of a lightning in a bottle to win a sjin or two. This team game made us all have to put together a more complete game, or in the case of Randy and i avoid both of us going dark on the same hole. We had to card two net double bogies. Had we avoided them, (#1 and #17) we would have taken 3rd.

Maybe it's more "fair" to do split the field, and do random paring of low pool with high pool, but I still think that it still has about the same chance of creating imbalanced teams. But in the end, it's about two people playing to their cap that wins a day.

I believe Randy and I were the the highest average capped team. P.H of 18 and 19, respectively. With handicapped events even at some adjustment (90% in this case). we very much had a change to compete for prize money. I'm not sure either of us believed that during our round, but in the end we tied for 4th and only 1 stroke from third. One of the great things about I league is that we all have legit handicaps. That means it's only a matter of rising up and playing to that potential that lets you have a shat at "winnings". For skins, it's more of a lightning in a bottle to win a sjin or two. This team game made us all have to put together a more complete game, or in the case of Randy and i avoid both of us going dark on the same hole. We had to card two net double bogies. Had we avoided them, (#1 and #17) we would have taken 3rd.

Maybe it's more "fair" to do split the field, and do random paring of low pool with high pool, but I still think that it still has about the same chance of creating imbalanced teams. But in the end, it's about two people playing to their cap that wins a day.

Agree, You still have to make the shots regardless of HC. I have not played well the last 2 league games. I’ll keep grinding away and hope that I can pull it together in Sedona. A2F76AC9-63DD-4523-B7AC-1AB312F39E9F.jpeg

Agree, You still have to make the shots regardless of HC. I have not played well the last 2 league games. I’ll keep grinding away and hope that I can pull it together in Sedona. View attachment 8954309

This might have been the only time I broke 100 playing in league and the original December weekend.

My preference will always be individual and skins (even if a team game I still like team skins). But everyone has their opinion. Just trying to get a nice mix for next year.

I will say though that I do like ryder cup style events. A lot more planning is involved and probably a 2 day event but that can be a future topic to discuss.

I will say though that I do like ryder cup style events. A lot more planning is involved and probably a 2 day event but that can be a future topic to discuss.

I know a lot of guys are asking for this. Will try my best.

agreed, a 2 day Ryder Cup style event would be amazing!

I didn’t play great, but an 86 is well within normal range for me if you look at my handicap card. The problem with mid-caps like me is that I have potential to shoot 76 or 86. But with the cap based on the best 8 scores out of 20, I really need to play some great golf to break par.

Look at yesterday: I got 6 strokes at an unfamiliar course based on my 9.2 hcp. My personal best score is 75 on a much easier course, and I needed to shoot 77 yesterday on a more difficult and unfamiliar course just to break par. Before teeing off, I would have bet $10000 that I wouldn’t break 80 and I knew after the 4th hole that wasn’t going to happen.

So I shot 86 instead of the 78 I needed for personal par and my team ended up dead last. I have only broken 80 on par 72 courses 3 out of the last 20 rounds, so it is likely I will be over personal par in every league event. I am not upset, it is just the way the cap and my game works. But it is also why I prefer individual events and skins because there is hope for a few good holes and I don’t have to worry about leading my team to a last place finish.

If we play team events, I feel bad for whoever gets me. Unless I have a personal best, we probably won’t win anything and personal bests don’t usually happen on courses you play once or twice a year.

The other thing to consider is that mid-handicaps do best in events with gross and net skins. We have a chance to win some holes in both divisions. The low caps will win more than us in gross and the high caps will usually win more in the net, but mid-caps have a shot at both. I wonder how things would have looked if we had a team gross and net division best ball for yesterday? Probably similar results.

These are good conversations to have in our inaugural season.

Great day yesterday! I really enjoyed the course!
I'm good with any format we play. Individual, team, scramble, alternate shot, match play, ryder cup.... its all good with me. Just happy to be out on the course swinging the sticks with good company and a few cold beers (more beer the higher the score goes). Just here for a good time....and a couple birdies when possible :)

Sounds like a lot of great golf was played in the heat! Let me know when you have a member guest event and I am on the first flight out of MSP!

Sounds like a lot of great golf was played in the heat! Let me know when you have a member guest event and I am on the first flight out of MSP!

See OP

Be an Albatross Club Member on THP
AZGA GHIN (this will be covered by league dues)
If you do not reside in AZ but would like to participate in an outing, THP Albatross Club Members are welcome to particpate as long as they have a GHIN or Grint

Pick your event haha

If it was me the January event looks to be at an amazing course. And you could warm yourself up in the winter.

Last edited:
If I would have know you were interested, you could have had my spot in the heat yesterday. I should have sat by the pool :D

See OP

Be an Albatross Club Member on THP
AZGA GHIN (this will be covered by league dues)
If you do not reside in AZ but would like to participate in an outing, THP Albatross Club Members are welcome to particpate as long as they have a GHIN or Grint

Pick your event haha

If it was me the January event looks to be at an amazing course. And you could warm yourself up in the winter.

I am starting to look into Minnesota Winter dates!

If I would have know you were interested, you could have had my spot in the heat yesterday. I should have sat by the pool :D

If you guys thought it was hot, I would have not be down with that! :ROFLMAO:

So now that we had a mix of individual and team events.....what do you guys prefer?

I like both options and it mixes up what we are doing. I could care less about my partners ability and hopefully my game shows up on team day lol. I just look forward to seeing everyone and enjoy the day playing golf with THPers. I really liked that course and i am going to go back up and play again soon.

I am starting to look into Minnesota Winter dates!

If you guys thought it was hot, I would have not be down with that! :ROFLMAO:

The Tucson boys are soft. :ROFLMAO:

I like both options and it mixes up what we are doing. I could care less about my partners ability and hopefully my game shows up on team day lol. I just look forward to seeing everyone and enjoy the day playing golf with THPers. I really liked that course and i am going to go back up and play again soon.

I think the team competitions will be more equitable once everyone has a fully established cap. Trying to handicap without posting 20 rounds tends to underestimate a high capper, having them play with a course cap that is much lower than it should be. Putting more pressure on anyone paired with them.

It doesn’t really matter to me what we play. I suggest that we decide format before signup; if someone doesn’t want to play team event or individual or 3 club or whatever the event format is scheduled, they just don’t sign up for that event.

Each handicap group will have its own advantages in different games. You have to be fair for the entire league. Our league has quite the spread of handicaps but also nobody is gonna get rich off of the prize fund. As @oumagic has pointed out with mid-cappers we can be very Jekyll and Hyde so that is how I look at competitions. As sad of a picture as I painted of my round I still had 3 birdies (2 net eagles), 1 chip-in for par after a drop from flying into the water on 12, and a ridiculous sand save for par on 9. Just gotta put a whole round together.

I had a great day playing with @patricko but I sure fell off the face of the planet after 5 holes. The team events are fun but it is tough when your game goes south on you

Well I think its safe to say the top 3 teams from Sunday both players for the most part played well. The winning team was crazy good, but even the start of the round @Doubleb21 and I felt competent we could at least contend with them since they were both a +1 and +4 HDCP. And for the most part we did, but down the stretch they kept getting birdies while we were settling for pars. And when Brian and I blew up we tended to do it on the same hole.

Here is the other thing, for a team event we can do a blind draw team BB event. So we just pair up normally, play our own game, then do a LIVE blind draw (online random picker) later that day to determine winners. Maybe that takes the stress off a bit. I want to make sure this is fun, but honestly this is the first league I have been a part of where the lower HDCP's are really dominating. My Del Lago League in Vail, those old goats would somehow muster up an 85 with a 25 hdcp.

Back