At what distance do you lay up?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was just reading an article about how one should layup from 180 yards or more out from the green. Not sure how old the article was as it’s a bit of click bait, but I wonder if the math really would hold true.

So, how close would you be to truly think about laying up?

Here was the picture from the article:

25824EFA-F433-41CC-BA95-51407BDF4CE7.jpeg

For me it’s not really a number but more about the position and lay out around the green. Are there hazards? Now if I’m 280 out I’m gonna shoot for that 80-100 yard range.

I don't agree with that. I've played with higher handicap players who were really good with their hybrids or FWs so they can stretch that limit out.

Whereas I'm a lower handicap player but this year have lost confidence in my longer clubs. So I've layed up from even 220 yards out when that was ALWAYS a green light prior.

No issue with distance, good contact will still get me 235-240 yards. But direction has killed me way too often.

Depends on what's around the green for me. A bunch of bunksers or water, probably 195 or more. Land all around it, #nolayingup

All depends on the trouble around or guarding the green. I don't necessarily have a lay up distance, unless a forced carry that would be questionable.

I was just reading an article about how one should layup from 180 yards or more out from the green. Not sure how old the article was as it’s a bit of click bait, but I wonder if the math really would hold true.

View attachment 8915626

Lay up from 180 to where ?

A scratch golfer laying up from 220 should probably go home baring hitting into 17 at Sawgrass.

yeah, don't agree with that at all.

If it’s more than 250 I’m laying up. Risky move is 275.

Serious front side trouble or penalty area and I start to calculate consequences a little more at around 215-220 or so over them. Might have to at least like the lie, workable path to the pin, directional miss landing area, whatever. Depends on the day.

If it's pretty standard trouble around the green, and everything else is neutral there isn't really a lay up number.

Doesn't seem to really have much to do with handicap or scores. It's all about ability at length, and confidence in the outcome of a miss.

Last edited:
I can't reach the green if its anything over 225-230 so that is the layup point for me..... Not saying I'm hitting the green at that distance, but I'm hitting the club that gets me that distance unless there is water or significant hazard.

He means why the hell would I hit a wedge 80 yards to leave 110 when I can hit at green and a bad shot is a basic up and down from a bunker.

For me the number is usually over about 225 depending on what’s around the green. I’ve got clubs I can hit that far but not consistently accurate so I’m going to try to get to my favorite number and have a go at getting close on the 2nd shot.

Anything over 330, I lay up. :p

I'm not a long hitter but even for me the numbers on that table are way too conservative IMO.

View attachment 8915626
Usually anything over 200 but on most days If I am playing smart its anything over 190.

View attachment 8915626

Laying up from 180? No.

I’ll say it strongly depends on the layout of the hole itself. Wide open? Not narrow? No trees or woods? OB? Water hazards or bunkers green Side? If it’s a clear path with none of that I’ll go at it from 250 haha. If there all sorts of trouble and nonsense that will compound my problems if I miss and explode my score? Well then I’d say I need more info and yardages and it’s a hole by hole case.

Wow. That chart is pretty good I think. I’m pretty close to scratch and yeah 220 is about my limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never lay up. I just don't hit as long as I think I can and do so inadvertently.

Outside of 220 I should layup ?

200 -220 depending on if there are forced carries

anything inside 200 no effing way

Wow. That chart is pretty good I think. I’m pretty close to scratch and yeah 220 is about my limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This answer shows the issue with going off handicap. Most of the near scratch or scratch golfers I know hit the ball far and 220 is like a 5 iron or easy hybrid. Hybrid for me and I just can't bring myself to layup from that distance in general.

Matters more what's in front of the green than it does the layup number. 220 out and laying up, how dare you. That's insulting.

Deciding factors for me:
  1. I want to leave <40yd or 100-120yd to the green
  2. Consider how well green is guarded
  3. What is my longest confident club in that particular moment and lie
So it could be 200yd on some days 150yd the other. It's not just one yardage but combination of the above factors.

Seems like I'm laying up a lot now. 150 yards is pushing my limit to hit greens with a chance to get on. So I guess for me anything around 160 yards has turned into a lay up shot.

Back