At What Point Do You Tell a Random To Hurry Up?

So when we play Sunday you are going to yell at me to hurry up :)

We expected him to play 18. Then after the 9th hole he says "Had a good time guys but I'm only playing 9 today."...Shook hands and floored it to the 10th tee. So it was a welcomed surprise he was only playing 9.

That was my point. If it's a group of friends I have no problem being told or telling someone to pick it up, even those 5 footers for double bogey, just pick it up.

The kid was nice, respectful, and he was one of the better players I've been paired with, 7000 yards is no joke and he played very well.

How am I supposed to tell the guy to hurry up when I barely know his first name? Water under the bridge but whatever.

So when we play Sunday you are going to yell at me to hurry up :)
Jim you grab a club. Hit the ball. Puff a cigar. Drive to the ball. Hit again. Puff a cigar.

That's golf.

That was my point. If it's a group of friends I have no problem being told or telling someone to pick it up, even those 5 footers for double bogey, just pick it up.

The kid was nice, respectful, and he was one of the better players I've been paired with, 7000 yards is no joke and he played very well.

How am I supposed to tell the guy to hurry up when I barely know his first name? Water under the bridge but whatever.
I don't know the exact answer as for how, when, what to say or do. It can be an uncomfortable situation I understand.
But that aside.....how he plays shouldn't imo have anything at all to do with whether or not anyone would feel the need to tell him something. This is imo in part where I think a lot of what I would call "better player nonsense" comes to be. Im not suggesting its your mode of thinking, but its often a misguided thought process that better players are never the issue or somehow have more right vs poorer players. There often becomes a righteousness brought about by better players where as they often blame poorer players when in reality its often as much they themselves who are problematic. But in their minds they are allowed to be. Or such as I mention.....its easier to say something to someone of lessor ability. Mostly around and on the greens where pace issues are the most problematic is very often from better players but its in no way limited to that as they can be painfully slow in other areas as well. I know this is somewhat into a different subject but imo worth noting. Whether he hits 300 or 240 or plays to a 3 , a 11, or a 19 shouldn't matter. The issue for you is still the same regardless. If its any easier to say something to someone because they are not as good as he was, then imo that in itself is not proper.

Jim you grab a club. Hit the ball. Puff a cigar. Drive to the ball. Hit again. Puff a cigar.

That's golf.

That sounds like a good time to me.

I dont think there really is a respectful way to tell a random that they are slow. If its a friend, its a little different but not with a random. Many times, when grouped with a slow player when the course isnt super crowded, I have told them that I was kind of in a hurry and was going to play by myself. No one's feelings were hurt and we both got to enjoy our golf, at our own pace.

To answer the original question....as soon as they start to slow the entire group down. Know each other or not you are one group and all get affected by the pace of play .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there a hole open in front of you?

If yes go ahead
If no he didn't slow you up.

That simple honestly

We expected him to play 18. Then after the 9th hole he says "Had a good time guys but I'm only playing 9 today."...Shook hands and floored it to the 10th tee. So it was a welcomed surprise he was only playing 9.

Maybe he knows he is a slow player and being nice and respectful he bagged the back in order for you old guys to finish before dark.

If more than one hole appears open in front of us and the amount of play on the course allows it, I'll often just politely tell them that I have somewhere to be and need to play ahead, wish them well and off I (we) go.

I don't mean to seem rude but I have zero inclination to ask anyone who is unnecessarily slow to speed it up. I mean, I have before, plenty of times but my brain is wired way more toward escape and I've lost patience with age to fret the reaction of others very much. Darn it, that does sound rude but I'm nothing if not true to self.

Has to be obvious though as I have zero issue playing with slower players, within reason. But when one guy slows an entire group down, I'm out.

Zoom-zoom, LOL.

If more than one hole appears open in front of us and the amount of play on the course allows it, I'll often just politely tell them that I have somewhere to be and need to play ahead, wish them well and off I (we) go.

I don't mean to seem rude but I have zero inclination to ask anyone who is unnecessarily slow to speed it up. I mean, I have before, plenty of times but my brain is wired way more toward escape and I've lost patience with age to fret the reaction of others very much. Darn it, that does sound rude but I'm nothing if not true to self.

Has to be obvious though as I have zero issue playing with slower players, within reason. But when one guy slows an entire group down, I'm out.

Zoom-zoom, LOL.

well...but why lie? I mean why not just tell the truth and say youd like to finish 18 before dark? I mean its really not any worse or better than saying you have to be somewhere.

Was there a hole open in front of you?

If yes go ahead
If no he didn't slow you up.

That simple honestly
Yes their was a hole open in front of us. And it isn't simple because we didn't want to be rude, hence the point of this thread. Now gathering information from THPers I have some suggestions if this were to happen in the future.

mski said:
Maybe he knows he is a slow player and being nice and respectful he bagged the back in order for you old guysto finish before dark.
Old? I'm 31 feeling like 21. Played 3 straight days of golf and felt fine, could've made it 4 in a row if I wanted. Last year I felt old, back to back days and I would be in rough shape. Changed a few regimens in my workout and the back feels great after golf now.

Age is just a number brotha. When I hit like 45 or 50 then I'll say I'm old haha.

Age is just a number brotha. When I hit like 45 or 50 then I'll say I'm old haha.

You won't be old at 50 either, you just won't want to walk 36 holes anymore in one day. Trust me on that one.

You won't be old at 50 either, you just won't want to walk 36 holes anymore in one day. Trust me on that one.
Psssshhhh I walked once this year. On a Par 3 course.

I'm on the golf cart for the rest of my life. Although a couple of friends, THPers, have switched to the push cart and have lost 10-20 pounds and save over $100 monthly on greens fees, and I'm sure it feels "nice" as a form of exercise.

I am bet to say that he knew he was only playing 9 holes, so why play fast when he can play meticulously slow, piss you off, & play good for those 9 holes only. Really concentrate to see where his game is at?

Incidentally to the OP's question, I would have politely said "don't take this the wrong way, but it was nice to meet you but we want to play all 18 holes today if we can before it gets dark. We are going to jump ahead. You can stay back here & hit a few balls. We won't hold you up I promise. BTW ... you bomb it, so please don't hit into us."

I agree, he probably didn't even consider the time as he knew he was only playing 9

And as others said, I would just say that I'm really looking to go all 18 so you'll speed through this hole and go to the next, unless he keeps time in mind and hurries up each shot of he wants to stick with you guys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

well...but why lie? I mean why not just tell the truth and say youd like to finish 18 before dark? I mean its really not any worse or better than saying you have to be somewhere.

Why the jump to assume a lie? I didn't say that I'd make something up. Of course I would say that if it were the case. I was just speaking in general terms, didn't feel the need to catalog my reasons offered in the past.

Even in general terms, it wouldn't be a "lie" anyway. I would always have someplace I'd need to be rather than stuck in a 5 hour round unnecessarily.

So at what point do you tell someone that you just met to pick up the pace? This kid has gotta be a 2 handicap or less and having someone like me hacking it around for bogeys and mix in a double or two from the tee box in front of him is kind of rich?

If the kid is hitting fairways and greens while the rest of the group is "hacking it around for bogeys or double bogeys", then maybe the kid was actually playing faster than anyone else within the foursome.

If the kid is hitting fairways and greens while the rest of the group is "hacking it around for bogeys or double bogeys", then maybe the kid was actually playing faster than anyone else within the foursome.
ef86bdb188dbfa70b1d1d607789ea0b9.jpg

We made some Pars, but even hacking it around, we just hit and go, not survey every detail like he was doing, i don’t care if it was in the morning.

Two of the guys had birdies on our 9. The kid only had 1 bad hole. But his deliberate style was rough. 1 guy shot 81. My friend shot 88. And I shot 92.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've played a round of golf where 2 of us in the foursome shot over 100 and still finished under 4 hours.

I've played a round of golf where 2 of us in the foursome shot over 100 and still finished under 4 hours.

I played a round that involved fireball, multiple tee shots and I think I shot 124 and we were under 4 hours. CPO too.

I played a round that involved fireball, multiple tee shots and I think I shot 124 and we were under 4 hours. CPO too.
Ain't hard to get to 124 if you're hitting multiple tee shots. Heck, 2 on each tee is an extra 36 strokes. Throw in a 3rd on half of the holes and that another 18. That's 54 already. Only need 70 more strokes. Gotta figure, you hit at least 30 putts, so we're only looking at 40 more strokes. That's barely over 2 per hole.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say anything to him. I would simply jump one hole ahead of him. Problem solved.

I wouldn't say anything to him. I would simply jump one hole ahead of him. Problem solved.

That is exactly what I did on Thursday last week. I was paired up with two random guys at Bali Hai in Las Vegas. After Hole 2, I started to hint we need to pick up pace. Finally after hole 6, I said that I am going to jump ahead to try and work on my shanks and wished them well. It was getting so annoying.

Yes their was a hole open in front of us. And it isn't simple because we didn't want to be rude, hence the point of this thread. Now gathering information from THPers I have some suggestions if this were to happen in the future.

Old? I'm 31 feeling like 21. Played 3 straight days of golf and felt fine, could've made it 4 in a row if I wanted. Last year I felt old, back to back days and I would be in rough shape. Changed a few regimens in my workout and the back feels great after golf now.

Trust me I totally understand not wanting to be rude and have played with players slower then I prefer. I find it is never taken as rude when you say I want to get done before dark. All is fair when the sun goes down at 6.

You know what I find rude when playing with the intent of enough time to get 18 before dark? is this...
....and so I may play (when timed as usual) purposely with enough time to get 18. Like i sad i try to make sure I have 420 just to be on the safe side. Sometime it may end up where I only have 410, whatever but still should be able to get done. And so I may be paired into a 4some and while enough time to finish here is what often happens.....You get real late commers (often singles or 2somes) who feel that they being alone or just 2 can then play hrough everyone. While I wouldnt normally mind this it can be quite a few too many and what happens is that they can cause my gorup (if with a 4some) to get delayed. I mean you get to hole 3 and here comes a single, uses up a few minutes letting him thorugh, then a couple holes later another single and the a little later a 2some and perhaps another 2some whatever. You gte the point it can be quite a number of late comers who want to play through everyone so they can play 18. Now my issue is that I made certain to tee off at a time whwre 18 is a very realistic posiblility. But now because of all the late comer players playing through it delays my group and then we find its now too dark and yet cant finish. Allow 4 or 5 of these play thorugh singles and a couple doubles and now collectively you lost 10/15/20 minutes in total. To me that is not fair at all. I intentionally go out of my way to get there early enough to have the real possibly of getting in 18 but because of the late comer singles and doubles while I may be in a 4some I now lose out. That imo is wrong. maybe it is dark at 7pm. I hurry on over and get out at 245 so that i can play 18. But you come along (as well as any number of others at 315 or 330 or 4oo or 430, whatever and look to play through but so do all the other late comers as well.

When does that become unfair? Sometimes i think i should not intentionally hurry to the course with enough daylight but rather show up real late myself like some the others and blast through all the 4somes and 3 somes out ther as a single so i could finsish and screw them just like I can get screwed. I mean at some point its not right imo. A single or double late comer at dusk should not have the right to play through everyone else who went out of thier way to get to the course early enough with intent to finish 18 before dark. That 4some imo has a right in that case not to allow the play throughs. But be my guest and go around and skip if you like then come back to this hole later :)

Back