AussieMatt travels home - a thread

We went to the local shopping centre today, which is a bit different than a US mall. The grocery stores are in the centre along with the rest of the shops.

This is one of Australia's largest grocery store chains.
PXL_20240318_010332557.jpg

PXL_20240318_010807955.jpg

R.M.Williams...if you want to sell a kidney for some authentic Australia moleskin jeans and boots, this is the place to shop.

PXL_20240318_011942145.jpg

Woolworths or Woolies is the counterpart to Coles.

PXL_20240318_013537271.jpg

Big W is the department store side kick to Woolies.

PXL_20240318_014230170.jpg

JB Hi-Fi, no, nothing to do with the real @JB, has about taken over the electronic retail business.

PXL_20240318_021418617.jpg

Fresh seafood anyone?

PXL_20240318_032059880.jpg

When do we introduce bogans & crap beer like the one they can't spell? (XXXX)

We went to the local shopping centre today, which is a bit different than a US mall. The grocery stores are in the centre along with the rest of the shops.

View attachment 9249551

View attachment 9249552

R.M.Williams...if you want to sell a kidney for some authentic Australia moleskin jeans and boots, this is the place to shop.

View attachment 9249553

View attachment 9249554

View attachment 9249555

JB Hi-Fi, no, nothing to do with the real @JB, has about taken over the electronic retail business.

View attachment 9249556

Fresh seafood anyone?

View attachment 9249557
Although @JB could be running a offshore business 😁🤣

Hope you're enjoying yourself @AuzzieMatt

Has it been a culture shock after being away so long? I imagine that quite a bit has changed in that time.

I wonder if Woolworths is same owner as US Woolworths of past?

View attachment 9249551

View attachment 9249552

View attachment 9249553

View attachment 9249554

View attachment 9249555

View attachment 9249556

Fresh seafood anyone?

View attachment 9249557
I got excited when I saw Woolies, but it looks like a grocery store rather than the Woolies I was used to. Growing up, it’s where I bought my cassettes and CD’s and Pick N’ Mix.

I got excited when I saw Woolies, but it looks like a grocery store rather than the Woolies I was used to. Growing up, it’s where I bought my cassettes and CD’s and Pick N’ Mix.
We used to have a woolies a couple doors down from the movie theater at home, always fun doing the pick n mix then sneaking it into the movie

Hope you're enjoying yourself @AuzzieMatt

Has it been a culture shock after being away so long? I imagine that quite a bit has changed in that time.
So far so good. It's great hearing all the Aussie accents and people saying G'day when they great you in a shop. There's a bit of culture shock and I suspect there will be more today when we head into the city and take a ferry across the harbour. A lot has change in the city apparently and I'm keen to see it.
I wonder if Woolworths is same owner as US Woolworths of past?
I wondered the same and it's not at all.

Vegemite toast for brekkie soon so as not to disappoint @BigMac.

Full day was had today. Managed to wake up about 3.30 this morning and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get back to sleep so I've been up since about 4:30.

As promised, Vegemite was had for brekkie and will likely be had for the rest of my time here, even though I eat it 3 times a week back in the States.

PXL_20240318_201049667.PORTRAIT.jpg

Today we ventured into the city and across the harbour to Manly beach. We started at Leppington train station, down the road from Mum's place.

PXL_20240318_220012636.jpg

Despite the complaints from the residents, Sydney actually has a great public transport system and it's quite easy to get to most places using trains, buses and ferries.

We got to (possibly world famous) Circular Quay where the ferries leave from and went across the harbour to Manly.

PXL_20240318_232202838.jpg

If you don't know what this is you've been living under a rock!

PXL_20240318_232213939.jpg

This is Fort Denison and was originally used as place for punishment of convicts and then converted to a fort for the defense of Sydney Harbour.

PXL_20240318_232522825.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240319_020348432.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

These were wild cockatoos that were hanging around.

PXL_20240319_000853331.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240319_012155907.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Connor and I were going to have a swim but after dipping our toes in the water we wussed out because it was pretty cold, despite getting to 91°.

Aussies call all sorts of things weird names and speedos are referred to as budgie smugglers, amongst other things and look at the store we found!

PXL_20240319_002315881.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

So, we went in search of fish and chips, chiko rolls and dim sims. The last two are uniquely Australian foods and despite making them in the US, there's nothing like getting them from a shop here.

PXL_20240319_011108755.PORTRAIT.jpg

It was time to head back to Circular Quay and go to where my US mistake adventure began...at the Sydney Opera House. That was where I proposed to the Minister and she stupidly said yes!

PXL_20240319_020416120.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240319_020547043.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

The bane of my existence, almost on the exact spot close to 19 years ago.

PXL_20240319_023331136.PORTRAIT.jpg

As we were leaving we saw this fella on the stairs that go from the water to the Opera House. Yes, there are seals in Sydney Harbour and there are actually penguins as well.

PXL_20240319_024313401.jpg

That was our day today. Both of them got a bit sun burnt ( :ROFLMAO: ) but we had a good day and I was happy to be able to show my son a bit of my home town.

Last edited:
Full day was had today. Managed to wake up about 3.30 this morning and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get back to sleep so I've been up since about 4:30.

As promised, Vegemite was had for brekkie and will likely be had for the rest of my time here, even though I eat it 3 times a week back in the States.

View attachment 9249793

Today we ventured into the city and across the harbour to Manly beach. We started at Leppington train station, down the road from Mum's place.

View attachment 9249794

Despite the complaints from the residents, Sydney actually has a great public transport system and it's quite easy to get to most places using trains, buses and ferries.

We got to (possibly world famous) Circular Quay where the ferries leave from and went across the harbour to Manly.

View attachment 9249795

View attachment 9249797

This is Fort Denison and was originally used as place for punishment of convicts and then converted to a fort for the defense of Sydney Harbour.

View attachment 9249798

View attachment 9249803

View attachment 9249799

View attachment 9249800

Connor and I were going to have a swim but after dipping our toes in the water we wussed out because it was pretty cold, despite getting to 91°.

Aussies call all sorts of things weird names and speedos are referred to as budgie smugglers, amongst other things and look at the store we found!

View attachment 9249802

So, we went in search of fish and chips, chiko rolls and dim sims. The last two are uniquely Australian foods and despite making them in the US, there's nothing like getting them from a shop here.

View attachment 9249801

It was time to head back to Circular Quay and go to where my US mistake adventure began...at the Sydney Opera House. That was where I proposed to the Minister and she stupidly said yes!

View attachment 9249804

View attachment 9249805

View attachment 9249807

As we were leaving we saw this fella on the stairs that go from the water to the Opera House. Yes, there are seals in Sydney Harbour and there are actually penguins as well.

View attachment 9249808

That was our day today. Both of them got a bit sun burnt ( :ROFLMAO: ) but we had a good day and I was happy to be able to show my son a bit of my home town.
And as ambassadors, and travel agents lol , look forward to more … episodes .

Killer pics. Looks like a fun day!

Hearing about your experiences only confirms my want to make it over to the Outback one day!!!

Budgy smuggler..... that's quite the lingo!

Great pictures.

1710859784957.png
🤣🤣🤣🤣
I need to find a way to casually work this into a conversation

Sounds like you’re having a blast. Thanks for bringing us along. This is fun!

This is all awesome. My wife and i want to visit sooner than later. Loving the pics and commentary, still waiting on big spider and fighting roo pics!

View attachment 9249551

View attachment 9249552

View attachment 9249553

View attachment 9249554

View attachment 9249555

View attachment 9249556

Fresh seafood anyone?

View attachment 9249557
I like the generic mall tile flooring...seems like this is worldwide lol

Love seeing the pics @AuzzieMatt, thanks for bringing us halfway around the world with you!

Now I'm going to have to pick up some Vegemite, been a while since I've had it. :LOL:

View attachment 9249793

View attachment 9249794

View attachment 9249795

View attachment 9249797

View attachment 9249798

View attachment 9249803

View attachment 9249799

View attachment 9249800

View attachment 9249802

View attachment 9249801

View attachment 9249804

View attachment 9249805

View attachment 9249807

View attachment 9249808

Great pics buddy. Thanks for sharing!

Great pics @AuzzieMatt, thanks for taking us along for the ride!

No Kings Cross action for the 'other' side of Sydney? Next time ? 🤣
Ah, no mate.

Some things are better left to the imagination!

To any that are wondering, Kings Cross in Sydney is the unofficial red light district and nightclub area that was home to quite a few blood baths up until the late 90's. I did a bit of work around there myself doing investigations and it's not a place for the feint of heart, particularly at night.

View attachment 9249793

View attachment 9249794

View attachment 9249795

View attachment 9249797

View attachment 9249798

View attachment 9249803

View attachment 9249799

View attachment 9249800

View attachment 9249802

View attachment 9249801

View attachment 9249804

View attachment 9249805

View attachment 9249807

View attachment 9249808

I did a study abroad in Wollongong. Nothing like fish and chips by the beach.

Hey Matt’

Can we see some Vegemite toast art
Stylised Sydney opera house … the Bridge etc.
…like the coffee art 😃

Back