Auto Insurance Driving Monitoring

The idea of getting "off the grid" is becoming increasingly attractive.
Your comment reminds me of the Jack Reacher movies starring Tom Cruise. His character is an "off the grid badass" who helps solve legal cases. My thought is, how does one 'get off the grid'? Is there a way?

Your comment reminds me of the Jack Reacher movies starring Tom Cruise. His character is an "off the grid badass" who helps solve legal cases. My thought is, how does one 'get off the grid'? Is there a way?
There is, but you have to move out into the sticks and learn self-sufficiency.

Personally, I'm too old for that stuff and my wife would never go for it. But I can at least limit further exposure. Go down fighting, as it were :)

curious how that turns out. I like our USAA rates!

We use Apple Car Play every time we drive for navigation, SiriusXM saved podcasts or Amazon music. Wonder if those affected along with calls?

I love my rates also, and they are already pretty low given we are both safe drivers with no marks on our records. I will know in another month when the policy renews.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. To each their own, but I cannot imagine, for the life of me, what would possess a body to have something like that in their car. And, no: To my way of thinking it's not worth two or three hundred bucks a year.

Mind you: I'm a tech geek. A tech geek from way back. I was on-line well before there ever was an Internet. I've had two-way communications on my car or person, of one sort or another, incl. phone calling, since well before cellular communications was even a thing. Home automation before the phrase "home automation" ever popped up.

But I'm growing increasingly alarmed by the degree of privacy invasion I'm seeing, and the increasing ways in which a variety of businesses, from sellers, to insurance companies, to the health "care" system, to social media are attempting to influence life. Often successfully :(

The idea of getting "off the grid" is becoming increasingly attractive.

I am as private as anyone when it comes to "automation" or online surveillance from IOT devices. This one is more of a curiosity for me than anything else to see if the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak. If I don't see the benefit financially, it will get removed.

Nope, not gonna do it. I asked my agent specifically when he encouraged its use, can a lawyer or police dept. subpoena my driving record. He said yes.

Funny stuff. Yesterday while registering my Wife's car, the question came up about how many miles were on it at the time of registraton. This would be different than the dealer reported miles that was 41.

I told the lady 2000 miles, that we had just returned from a road trip. I ask her why dmv needed this info. She told they share the info with insurance companies.

Also there's talk about a possible state mileage tax, based on mileage driven between registration dates.

So my insurance provider has a back door to my driving habits everytime I register my vehicles.

We already have black boxes in our cars that can “ testify against us in a court of law” Hard NO from me. It’s not that my driving habits are dangerous......Its that I’m really not keen on all the intrusiveness tech has brought along with it

Nope, not gonna do it. I asked my agent specifically when he encouraged its use, can a lawyer or police dept. subpoena my driving record. He said yes.
We already have black boxes in our cars that can “ testify against us in a court of law” Hard NO from me. It’s not that my driving habits are dangerous......Its that I’m really not keen on all the intrusiveness tech has brought along with it
Yes, I think the technology is already in the car to track your driving habits. Again, it is almost impossible to be off the grid. It is rather disturbing when you realize how much info "they" have on you.

It’s not that my driving habits are dangerous......Its that I’m really not keen on all the intrusiveness tech has brought along with it
I self-identify as an "aggressive" driver. I put "aggressive" in quotes because, by "aggressive," I mean not that I'm aggressive toward other drivers (tailgating, cutting others off, flipping other drivers the bird, running traffic lights, passing in no-passing zone, etc.), but that I drive 5-10 MPH over the limit, I pass quickly when I pass, I corner as briskly as reasonable, etc. By the same token I'm not inclined to so-called "jackrabbit" starts, nor do I speed up to red lights and stop short.

I do have a HEMI in the Jeep and I do like to let it stretch its legs, so to speak, on occasion. And there's this one road, nearby, that has 4-5 traffic circles w/in a ±five mile stretch. It's fun to "slalom" through those when traffic allows. (The Jeep is remarkably sure-footed. Handles more like a sports car than a mid-size SUV.) But, other than that, in mostly semi-rural/-suburban travel I"ve averaged 15.8 MPG. You don't achieve that with that 5.7L HEMI by driving like you're at Daytona all the time ;) Plus, being retired, I don't drive that much anymore, anyway. Merely 3,500 miles/year over the 3-1/2 years I've owned the vehicle.

So, could I realize insurance premium savings with a Big Brother Box in my Jeep? Yeah, probably so. Don't care. I ain't havin' it. No way, no how.

♫ Every breath you take. And every move you make. Every bond you break. Every step you take, I'll be watching you. Every single day and every word you say. Every game you play. Every night you stay, I'll be watching you. ♫ - The Police

Prophetic?

Nope, not a freaking chance I use one and I am on a fixed income and could use money saving .

Honestly, how many people own a car and only drive 7500 miles a year? I have the SF Drive Safe and I saw some initial savings on it but not so much after the first period I had it. Part of it is probably because of mileage and rate changes due to Covid but I also think the thing dings me for things that I don't believe are accurate. It has marked me for hard braking in places and I am not hard on my brakes at all. Most cars around me brake much harder and accelerate harder out of stops than I do but I get hits on the app from it.

My last car was a lease, and I turned it in after 3 years with 6,000 miles. So we exist haha.

My last car was a lease, and I turned it in after 3 years with 6,000 miles. So we exist haha.
I guess it’s possible but my car is my only form of transportation and I have to drive to get anywhere. Even before Covid when I had a 20 minute commute to the office I was still good for at least 12000 miles a year.

if I could get away with driving that little I would consider not even owning a car.

I did this with liberty mutual. It was an app on all of our phones that tracked habits for 90 days. It tracked acceleration, breaking, and lat night driving. It was super sensitive and I drove super carefully. It would show you immediately after a trip how you did and whether you saved money or lost savings. Had a couple of times where someone pulled out in front of me causing me to break quickly that hurt my savings. I learned to monitor my trips myself and if anything went wrong I would assign the trip as I was a passenger thus not effecting my savings. Saved about $2,000 (23%) annually but it was the longest 90 days of my life.

Covid has severely decreased the number of cars on the roads, how many miles many people are traveling now, and the insurance companies have made a fortune since accidents are way down.

I do believe we see more and more that people are going to continue to work at home and remotely. That can be a good thing for many. Fewer vehicles on the road during rush hour, fewer accidents, fewer traffic jams, etc. Plus, businesses are seeing they don't have to have workers in buildings as much as they thought. More profits for them as well.

I think my wife's car had a total of 1000 miles on it this past year. She works from home and generally travels for her job. No travel meant she didn't leave the house. Great for a low miles pay per mile discount.

I’ve been using the AAA drive app connected to my AAA auto insurance policy since I moved to my new home a few months ago. At first, I didn’t mind as I’m a safe driver and assumed I’d score well on the app thereby getting me a discount on my insurance. The app rates each drive I take in these categories with a rating of 1-5 on each category and assigned an overall score of 1-100 on each trip taken. 1. Smooth driving. You are supposed to anticipate traffic and other drivers and not make sudden stops. Turns out you are docked points for actually using your brakes even to avoid an accident. 2. Mobile Distraction. Making or taking phone calls, using your GPS or other apps on your phone while driving deducts points. 3. Time of day. I got deducted for going to play golf during the wrong time of day. I’m in a rural area where there is seldom any traffic even during “rush hour”. 4. Fatigue. You are supposed to take regular breaks to help stay alert and focused. I lost 2 out of 5 stars on a trip because I didn’t take a break on a 1 hour drive home from the golf course. I couldn’t get the company to tell me how often I should rest on a 1 hour trip. 5. Speed. Turns out, they don’t deduct as many points for going a bit over the speed limit as I would have expected.
After using this tracking app, I’m convinced they make it nearly impossible to get high scores to prevent you from getting the maximum discount which they never actually specify except for the discount for signing up for the app. I‘m turning off the app for my wife and I. I will never use this feature again no matter what discount they give.

I did the Progressive one and it was fine. Was rated an A and got a nice discount.

Based on my driving habits, I saved $276 for my next 6 month period. Like someone mentioned in a previous post, cars are already on the grid with their inherent technology. I am a careful driver, retired, so it works for me. For those who commute longer distances in heavy traffic, it probably wouldn't work so well. It's getting to the point where you can't escape big brother, and I emphasize can't.

I just got my renewal from State Farm and my discount jumped from almost $83 every 6 months to almost $140 every 6 months. It started at about $30 every 6 months when I started it which was a 10% discount.

Hyundai has me rated 54/100. I feel like that’s not a good formula for a discount…

please for the love of god........just save your money and check this company out. A friend of mine is the Claims director. Its a newer company but blowing everyone else out of the water price wise if its available in your area. Its phenomenal

Auto & Home Bundled:
https://ourbranch.com/

hero-visual-86f4ffb6283f474c0aafbe190d5545eb.png

I like my privacy and want to do what I want. Also, working at a dealership I have seen theses plug ins cause issues with vehicles.

I just got my renewal from State Farm and my discount jumped from almost $83 every 6 months to almost $140 every 6 months. It started at about $30 every 6 months when I started it which was a 10% discount.

Do you know what your driving score was at? I'm currently at 82%, but I'll blame it all on the wife's driving 😂

Do you know what your driving score was at? I'm currently at 82%, but I'll blame it all on the wife's driving 😂
My two week driving score is usually around 81-82% when I look at it. The biggest factor is mileage. I was calculated at 7800 miles per year for the $83 discount and 7500 for the $140. I believe 7500 is one of the breakpoints that makes the minimum discount jump up and the driving determines where your discount falls within the range that your mileage is in.

Back