Average Driving distance: Older Golfers??

I had hoped to see some of that Texas rollout I hear about in Dallas, but I swear every hole was into the wind or at least it seemed that way sometimes and not much roll at all.

Come back in August

69½, and I play 95% of my golf in Colorado so that skews my distances a bit. My typical drive is 210-250, and since I don't keep stats, I can't pin any real average. Probably in the 230 range, but that's mostly guess. I play a fade almost exclusively, and still carry over 200.

My longest measured drive since turning 60 is 324 yards, and another was 321 (never owned a GPS before that, so anything prior is suspect). Both were somewhat downwind, but mostly on level ground.

I never understand driving distance. Age or size does not seem to matter. I see an older small person hit it 250 and a young big strong person hit a good solid shot and goes 200. I think it is the golf swing fundamentals that makes the difference, no matter size or age or gender.

About to be 54, good drive for me now is about 250-260. Average is south of that, but probably 240ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most certainly Size does not matter, my former instructor is maybe 5' 7" and 150 lbs and kills it, honest 300 yd, but he is also late 20's early 30's. Using one's body correctly is the key IMO, being both older and stiffer makes for long drives (lets say over 250) not really possible on a regular basis.

Once in a while I can catch one downwind, down hill, decent swing, etc. and poke it out there but it is not something I worry about anymore.

Just hit the damn thing and move on, but maybe a new Sub Zero Driver will get me a few more yds...........ha ha ha

I never understand driving distance. Age or size does not seem to matter. I see an older small person hit it 250 and a young big strong person hit a good solid shot and goes 200. I think it is the golf swing fundamentals that makes the difference, no matter size or age or gender.

Forget cobra and Nike and all those commercials. Truth is those pros aren't hitting what is on decal. If you're older and have money go into a personal class A master club builder and have Vega's from japan built for u. Get u a real shaft and add 30 yards. Most ppl don't know these things but if u want to create some distance u gotta get better equipment

57 y/o and I bash it somewhere around 220-230 on average. I can poke it a lot longer if I get my turn working. I unconsciously favor the lower back and tend to swing arms-heavy. My longest is 320 but like some others have posted....over the crest of a hill and a healthy downslope. :act-up:

Took up golf in my 20s and played through my 30s. I probably averaged 100 rounds and about that many range sessions per year. I was always a shortish hitter then (180-200) despite being an athlete and fitness freak in those days. Then basically no golf at all through most of my 40s and 50s. I took up golf again a couple years ago and some amazing advances in clubs and balls must've happened while I was away. I was immediately hitting it at least as far despite being 20 years older and double that fatter. I recently turned 61 and am now hitting it at least 30 yards further than in my prime. I've made it a priority to add badly needed club speed over the last couple years and am up almost 20%. Right now most drives go 215-235 with maybe a longer one/two going past 250. (I never EVER had a 250 yard drive in my 20s or 30s). I've had three top 300 (312best-GPS) but those had a ton of helping factors.

Last edited:
Back