Average Driving distance: Older Golfers??

I am 60 Years old (I like to think I'm 18 years old + 42 years of experience).
6'4", 230 lbs, been playing for 6 years.
Longest drive is about 220, usually about 185-190 average.
Looking for a new driver!
Any suggestions?

Yeah, I have a suggestion for a new driver: The Callaway XR16. It's really forgiving. I think Callaway makes the best drivers. I'm getting one when the prices come down on them.

But drivers are weird. It's easy to get a mishit. Game Golf will include those 150 yd duck hooks and those 175 yd banana balls no matter what your swing speed is. You hit the ball toward the heel, you lose distance. That's a fact.

When I hit the sweet spot, I get some really good distance. I have a good swing speed for my age. But my average drive is 212 yds. That's Game Golf. That includes my long drives that are hit solidly that go further - a lot further, and my mishits.

I hit my 4 iron 200 yds. average off the tee. That's down the middle of the fairway. That's also Game Golf. That's one club difference for a second shot.

So 212 with a spray and pray weapon that could go a lot further but could get me in trouble OR a sure thing that puts me in the middle of the fairway 12 yds shorter than my average?

I'm 30, I'm using Arccos and my Avg is usually around 260 yards, so far in 2016 I have 7 290+ yds drive.

I'm 63 and my average with the driver is 210-220. I usually use the SLDR mini and I get 190-200 and usually in the fairway which I cannot say about the driver.

I will be 60 in june and with my new adams blue I am averaging 208. I am 5'7" 170 lbs. If i hit a baby draw I can reach 220. Now if I could CONSISTANTLY hit that draw correctly. Whats interesting is lately I have been stuck behind young bucks (who did not let me play thru) and the last 3 groups average drive was about consistant with us. I play the seniors which the biggest advantage is 10 yards so I am about 10 yards behind their drives. At least mine are in the fairway.

I'll be 52 in June and I can still hit it out there between 260-270 with a solid drive on a calm summer day. That's a loss of about 15-20 yards from just 7 or 8 years ago. I've also lost about a full club with my irons in that same time. There are just too many aches and pains that influence how I swing the club. Ignoring those and making a free flowing swing has become extremely difficult. And even with stretching, the shoulders and hips just cannot turn as fast or as much as they used to.

55 years old, 6'2" 219 pounds. 235 to 240 average, once in awhile maybe 245 to 250. If I was an internet golfer my average would be almost 300 yards....lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Two drivers I really want to test is the Bridgestone JGR and the XXIO 9 !

54 here and always a longish hitter with long roping draws.Driver 260ish with a long of 327 this year
4 hybrid 220 to 230

not the equipment but more technique.Love the A swing from leadbetter

I'll be 59 this November.

Driver - Avg. total 270 yds.
3 hybo - 225 yds.
8 iron - 150 yds.

55 years old, driver 240 to 245 carry, 7 iron is 150 carry, 9 iron 130 carry.

55 years old, 6'2" 219 pounds. 235 to 240 average, once in awhile maybe 245 to 250. If I was an internet golfer my average would be almost 300 yards....lol

Just over a month and you're losing distance....not good!

53 y. I guess about 220 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping that when I get to be in my 50's and 60's that I'll still be able to hit it out there over 250 like some of you guys.

My dad is 64, he hits it about 225 on a well struck shot, average is probably closer to 220.

~Rock

I'll be 69 in Sept. I just started gaming the M2. I hit the ball about 190 with a baby draw. I noticed a decrease in distance when I reached 65, I used to hit about 240. The real difference is I now regularly hit 12 of 14 fairways.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'll be 69 in Sept. I just started gaming the M2. I hit the ball about 190 with a baby draw. I noticed a decrease in distance when I reached 65, I used to hit about 240. The real difference is I now regularly hit 12 of 14 fairways.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'm 63, this is my 5th year playing. Hit it about the same, 190-200 with a slight draw. Also starting to hit more fairways (and greens). The score is starting to hover around 42-47 per nine holes this year.

Unfortunately, the days of 290 are over. Thanks to learning to throttle back and an extra 25 years. At 55, I've stayed fairly consistent at around 260/270 total for the last few years. Had my swing numbers checked a few weeks ago and they're not bad. 104/105 SS, 2700 spin with a 14.5 Launch, Smash factor of 1.4. Machine showed a carry of 240 with a total of about 260. This was with Range balls so they might be a bit askew. Real world balls would be closer to my original number.

One difference in the age thing is that on holes where I used to hit a 3 wood to keep short of trouble are now Driver holes. Accuracy is up though, so I got that going for me...

71 years, USGA 10.5 index. 210-230 with 80% swing using the Cobra King F6 driver, weight forward and set at 10.5*. Past 3-4 weeks playing twice a week have been averaging 10-12 fairways per round.

Yikes you guys are long, 57, 6 ft 220ish and happy to get 220 out of a long one.

Yikes you guys are long, 57, 6 ft 220ish and happy to get 220 out of a long one.
Remember Jim, the reason men are better at reading a map is because we can more easily relate an inch representing a mile. :smile-big:

I'm 37, i average about 245-255 with my new GBB driver/Hzrdus combo. My FIL who i play with is 58 and hits it about 230 (way harder swing than he should)... with an old RBZ. Time for an upgrade (and straighter drives...)

66 yrs old. 210 lbs
200 off the tee. Some a little better. Some a little worse. Most in the short grass.

Soon to be 55 years old and I'm in the 230/240 range with the driver most days. A little more with the summer roll out and less when it is wet.

I had hoped to see some of that Texas rollout I hear about in Dallas, but I swear every hole was into the wind or at least it seemed that way sometimes and not much roll at all.

Back