What do you guys recommend for hiking shoes or boots? I've tried Merrell, Salomon, Colombia and man my feet kill me after about 4 or 5 miles, they fit well and are great early on but man I can't find a pair that is painless.

One word. Redwing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you guys recommend for hiking shoes or boots? I've tried Merrell, Salomon, Colombia and man my feet kill me after about 4 or 5 miles, they fit well and are great early on but man I can't find a pair that is painless.
If you aren't carrying a pack try your favorite pair of tennis shoes.

Forces are conspiring against us, looks like we won't be doing any backpacking this season. Shame too because we've eased the kids into it each of the past two seasons and they loved it.

Good, Merino wool socks make a huge difference, but I love my Salomon. Agree with t4k though, tennis shoes are great as long as the trail isn't really rocky and your ankles can handle going downhill without extra support.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Backpacking

I've had good luck with Merrills. I prefer a boot with a good shank, my feet can't handle uneven footing.

I was thankful I got the Gortex version on this hike.

Memorial Weekend snow storm
796cecc59e26811135df4200f9cfb2de.jpg

Spent the weekend in the Tobacco Roots at Lake Louise.
76a4d3651c9def5098acce9d3fb902f5.jpg
aa06027c34b468638572a79320f67c6d.jpg
059e18180c20ec593bb77183115da112.jpg

I love to hike but can't get my wife to hike more than a mile or so. I would really like to do more!

I love to hike but can't get my wife to hike more than a mile or so. I would really like to do more!
Same struggle I have. This was a work trip though, which is nice. Will hopefully get my son up in the mountains a couple times before football starts.

Spent the weekend in the Tobacco Roots at Lake Louise.
76a4d3651c9def5098acce9d3fb902f5.jpg
aa06027c34b468638572a79320f67c6d.jpg
059e18180c20ec593bb77183115da112.jpg

That’s a great area to hike around. Also check out Moraine Lake.

That’s a great area to hike around. Also check out Moraine Lake.
I've been up there, it's phenomenal. Really the entire area around Pony is amazing. Needed a little easier hike for the kids though.

More importantly though, when are you coming down to play golf?

I've been up there, it's phenomenal. Really the entire area around Pony is amazing. Needed a little easier hike for the kids though.

Wait, are you talking about in Alberta? I've never been there. I was thinking Hollow Top Lake.

I’m not sure. That is under negotiation with the wife.

I'm headed up to the Asheville area to do some backpacking with a friend. Will be my first time. Hopefully he knows what he is doing because I sure don't.

I have a 150 mile trip planned in about a month. Started with overnighters, then 40 miles, then 75, then last year I did it 100 miles.

My plan is 150 miles in 7 days on the PCT in Oregon. I got into backpacking a few years back and fell in love with it. My interest has wained some the last year but I still go about once a month.

As for footwear, I wear Altra Lone Peaks and before those some New Balance running shoes. I learned the hard way that I needed slightly larger and Wider shoes when hiking 20-25 miles a day. I don’t know how anyone can wear boots these days unless it was a very unstable rocky trail that was only a few miles.

I follow Ultralight on Reddit and pack largely by Ultralight principles. My back weight is about 13-15lbs without food/water.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have. I’m fairly well versed in this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off a 14 day trip rafting and hiking the Grand Canyon ... will have to figure out posting some of the pics. It was a great time.

I have a 150 mile trip planned in about a month. Started with overnighters, then 40 miles, then 75, then last year I did it 100 miles.

My plan is 150 miles in 7 days on the PCT in Oregon. I got into backpacking a few years back and fell in love with it. My interest has wained some the last year but I still go about once a month.

As for footwear, I wear Altra Lone Peaks and before those some New Balance running shoes. I learned the hard way that I needed slightly larger and Wider shoes when hiking 20-25 miles a day. I don’t know how anyone can wear boots these days unless it was a very unstable rocky trail that was only a few miles.

I follow Ultralight on Reddit and pack largely by Ultralight principles. My back weight is about 13-15lbs without food/water.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have. I’m fairly well versed in this topic.

I've always worn boots because anything downhill in low tops kills my alts. The lone peak mids have my interest...

That's intense dude. I just got done with a couple days of light backpacking as my first trip. I would like to do some tougher longer trips, but think I will leave the 150 milers to you.

Back