Another fun round with the Volt. I have become a little nonchalant about engaging the lock button on the remote before putting it in my pants pocket. After leaning down to tee up my ball I heard my foursome shout “watch out!” In unison. I looked up to see my Volt heading straight for me at full speed. Using my best Matador move I stepped to the side and it missed me. Looks like I need to start putting the remote in the holder to be safe. 3 green lights on the battery and console meter showed full charge when I finished.
Beautiful day in Pittsburgh today. Got in my second round with the Volt. I felt so much more comfortable with the cart today than I did the first round. Getting to know how this thing handles and learning how to not put it in questionable positions is paramount and makes the round pretty much worry free. In 2 rounds now I have never come even close to tipping it over. The course was pretty wet and I am amazed at how clean this cart stays. I had 2 full bars on the battery when finished-forgot to check the console. I can't stop thinking about how enjoyable todays round was!!!

Another fun round with the Volt. I have become a little nonchalant about engaging the lock button on the remote before putting it in my pants pocket. After leaning down to tee up my ball I heard my foursome shout “watch out!” In unison. I looked up to see my Volt heading straight for me at full speed. Using my best Matador move I stepped to the side and it missed me. Looks like I need to start putting the remote in the holder to be safe. 3 green lights on the battery and console meter showed full charge when I finished.
I'm so sad there is no video.

When I finished my round today I had a red light on the console and only one light lit on my battery. I do worry about the longevity of the battery but as long as I finish without pushing its all good.
I did some careful watching of the console operation today. So from what I saw if you use the console to start and stop the cart you will start up at the sme speed you last used, however if you use the remote to stop it itbdoesnt matter whether you use the remote or the console it will restart in slowest mode. I now have 6 rounds in and I'm at 26 miles. No issues so far so I'm very happy with cart.
Rod20240314_132201.jpg20240314_132209.jpg

I want your battery :) ....

This is what I did to my remote IMG_0068.JPG
Attached magnet using double backed tape and attach a clip to my belt.

When I finished my round today I had a red light on the console and only one light lit on my battery. I do worry about the longevity of the battery but as long as I finish without pushing its all good.
I did some careful watching of the console operation today. So from what I saw if you use the console to start and stop the cart you will start up at the sme speed you last used, however if you use the remote to stop it itbdoesnt matter whether you use the remote or the console it will restart in slowest mode. I now have 6 rounds in and I'm at 26 miles. No issues so far so I'm very happy with cart.
RodView attachment 9248933View attachment 9248934
Rod, There must be something really wrong with your battery. I have played 10+ rounds and never below 3 green lights at the end. I use the remote control full time.

Lots of talk about the battery, isn’t it supposed to last 36 holes? I ask because a friend of mine was asking about the Volt and he will walk 36 holes probably 10-15 times each season and wants a cart guaranteed to not run out of juice.

Lots of talk about the battery, isn’t it supposed to last 36 holes? I ask because a friend of mine was asking about the Volt and he will walk 36 holes probably 10-15 times each season and wants a cart guaranteed to not run out of juice.
Even though the performance of my Volt battery seems to be better than some early adopters, I have doubts it would go 36 holes. I had the bigger battery (340ah, I believe) on my MGI ZIP NAV AT and the battery was going strong after 3 years/350 rounds.

@Bus
I think in the long-run these are going to be great carts. I know I'm happy and glad I tried a second round. I've got 5 rounds and plan to play tomorrow and Friday yet this week. The bad thing is last March I came up with planter facitus (spelled wrong lol) in my right foot and had to go to riding. In late October I started walking 9 riding 9. When our clubs renewal came I had to do a cart plan again for this year cause I still couldn't walk more then 9. About 2 weeks before I bought this cart my foot became normal and now I can walk all day with no pain but spent the $800 for the riding cart. I will ride the cart on Tuesdays mornings when I go out at 6:30 by myself to make it a quick round!
Rod
Rod,
When it gets to be 105 degrees + here in the summer I sometimes like to walk 9, then ride 9. With my MGI ZIP NAV AT the size and weight were always an issue making the change at the turn. I can see how the smaller folded size and less weight will make this easier with the Volt.

I am excited that I am going to be able to give the Volt a maiden run tomorrow.

Played another round with the Volt today and the one thing I'm seeing is that it lacks power from a dead stop on hills. Also when at a stop and I use the left or right turn instead of going straight it does show a lack of power.
Also the guys that use a cart think they can help speed up the round by letting you ride up hills while they putt behind my cart so I can control the cart but the front of the cart lifts and it doesn't steer well at all this way. Now we have some steep fairways built on hills but the MGI carts will run up with little or no hesitation. This is probably the biggest flaw of the cart. This issue forces me too hold the handle while walking up hills. I also find it easier to hold and walk when using the console instead of the remote because the Gyro system doesn't go into effect using the console which makes it easier ro control.
There is some good and some bad in every cart!
Rod

Played another round with the Volt today and the one thing I'm seeing is that it lacks power from a dead stop on hills. Also when at a stop and I use the left or right turn instead of going straight it does show a lack of power.
Also the guys that use a cart think they can help speed up the round by letting you ride up hills while they putt behind my cart so I can control the cart but the front of the cart lifts and it doesn't steer well at all this way. Now we have some steep fairways built on hills but the MGI carts will run up with little or no hesitation. This is probably the biggest flaw of the cart. This issue forces me too hold the handle while walking up hills. I also find it easier to hold and walk when using the console instead of the remote because the Gyro system doesn't go into effect using the console which makes it easier ro control.
There is some good and some bad in every cart!
Rod
Agreed. I purchased the Volt for the compact size, lower weight, battery battery placement and state of the art technology. On those points it delivers. But the MGI ZIP NAV, even with the less advantageous battery placement, is more stable on hills and possibly more dependable long term. Time will tell. The Volt is fun.

Summary/Recap for the week.

Three rounds this week. The problem with the battery seems to have gone away.Most likely operator error. At least one bar remaining after the round. On the plus side , Bag Boy rep. (shout out to Rodney) responded to my email quickly. Nice to know they will respond.

Low battery warning lights for remote finally went off. Close to 60 miles on odometer which is about 9/10 rounds. Plan to recharge every 2 weeks (6 rounds).

Operation of the cart has become second nature. Still have to smile after the round when I break down the cart. Easy to fold and very little clean up required.

If anything unusual or interesting happens I’ll post but it seems it will be a routine from now on.

Summary/Recap for the week.

Three rounds this week. The problem with the battery seems to have gone away.Most likely operator error. At least one bar remaining after the round. On the plus side , Bag Boy rep. (shout out to Rodney) responded to my email quickly. Nice to know they will respond.

Low battery warning lights for remote finally went off. Close to 60 miles on odometer which is about 9/10 rounds. Plan to recharge every 2 weeks (6 rounds).

Operation of the cart has become second nature. Still have to smile after the round when I break down the cart. Easy to fold and very little clean up required.

If anything unusual or interesting happens I’ll post but it seems it will be a routine from now on.
Thanks for confirming the remote control low battery warning lights work. I have been conservative and recharging every 3-4 rounds.

Question about towing the Volt. Durning the season my club has a mens day with a shotgun start. With my bag boy nitron cart I hop into a cart and tow my Nitron behind me to my groups starting tee box. Will I be able to put my Volt in manual and tow it behind me without screwing up any of the gears, since they are in the wheels ??

Question about towing the Volt. Durning the season my club has a mens day with a shotgun start. With my bag boy nitron cart I hop into a cart and tow my Nitron behind me to my groups starting tee box. Will I be able to put my Volt in manual and tow it behind me without screwing up any of the gears, since they are in the wheels ??
Will I be able to put my Volt in manual and tow it behind me without screwing up any of the gears, since they are in the wheels ??
You would think so but I'm no expert. If I did tow it, I would take out the battery before I started towing it...

My first round is in the books. Honestly, it was a very mixed bag for me. I can only compare it to my MGI Zip, which I have been using since May of ‘19.

Pros for the Volt:
  • The weight and ease of loading and unloading is light years ahead of the MGI Zip.
  • The battery is much easier to connect.
  • The pouch up by the handle bars is so welcomed. The MGI Zip has absolutely no storage.
  • The Volt holds my bag during the round without the bag twisting so much better than the MGI Zip.
Negatives:
  • The operation of the remote for me was less precise than the MGI Zip, although I did not have a problem navigating it.
  • It does not track nearly as well as the MGI Zip. On any side hill, it wants to turn down the hill and you immediately have to get a hand on the handle bars. I never had a problem going down hills with the MGI Zip, not so with the Volt. You need to be close by and have a hand ready. The Volt tipped over on a side slope where it would not be an issue with the MGI Zip.
  • It is much much less stable than the MGI Zip. Honestly, there is no comparison between the two.
  • I charged the battery the night before and the battery showed 4 bars, but the battery went dead at the green of the 13th hole. I never had a battery problem with the MGI Zip.
I am hoping that I don’t have a defective battery. I was grateful that the Volt can double as a push cart, because I was as far away from the clubhouse as you could be when the battery died. I don’t need to get two rounds out of a battery, but I am hoping that there was some glitch in the charging, because otherwise, I have a defective battery.

I see a lot of good things about the Volt. I would say that if you play courses with a lot of elevation changes, I would probably go a different direction, if I am being honest.

My first round is in the books. Honestly, it was a very mixed bag for me. I can only compare it to my MGI Zip, which I have been using since May of ‘19.

Pros for the Volt:
  • The weight and ease of loading and unloading is light years ahead of the MGI Zip.
  • The battery is much easier to connect.
  • The pouch up by the handle bars is so welcomed. The MGI Zip has absolutely no storage.
  • The Volt holds my bag during the round without the bag twisting so much better than the MGI Zip.
Negatives:
  • The operation of the remote for me was less precise than the MGI Zip, although I did not have a problem navigating it.
  • It does not track nearly as well as the MGI Zip. On any side hill, it wants to turn down the hill and you immediately have to get a hand on the handle bars. I never had a problem going down hills with the MGI Zip, not so with the Volt. You need to be close by and have a hand ready. The Volt tipped over on a side slope where it would not be an issue with the MGI Zip.
  • It is much much less stable than the MGI Zip. Honestly, there is no comparison between the two.
  • I charged the battery the night before and the battery showed 4 bars, but the battery went dead at the green of the 13th hole. I never had a battery problem with the MGI Zip.
I am hoping that I don’t have a defective battery. I was grateful that the Volt can double as a push cart, because I was as far away from the clubhouse as you could be when the battery died. I don’t need to get two rounds out of a battery, but I am hoping that there was some glitch in the charging, because otherwise, I have a defective battery.

I see a lot of good things about the Volt. I would say that if you play courses with a lot of elevation changes, I would probably go a different direction, if I am being honest.
Give it a couple of more rounds to get used to the differences between your old cart. Volt did not and does not have the stability and maneuverability of my old Rovic/V2 cart. After 10 plus rounds, I don't notice it at all. You should know after a few rounds whether it's for you or not.

Your main concern is the battery. If it dies on your next round, contact Bag Boy. I had battery problems with mine and while I was waiting for Bag Boy to reply, I charged it for around 12 hours. I ran it for a mile around my parking structure, took it to a practice area the next day and ran it for another mile. Battery dropped one bar. Recharged it and it has worked fine for the past two rounds. We'll see what happens tomorrow ...

@Tenputt, your thoughts on the cart are right on the money. After my first round I had the same thoughts and I can honestly say I was disappointed with my purchase at that moment. It's a terrible feeling to get when you spend $1500 and you know there is jo way to get your money back......however give the cart another chance. The first round was a learning curve for me. After reevaluating how I handled the cart each round has gotten better and easier to use the cart. Yes I learned that the Volt will slide down a sidesloped hill but I found I can let it find a flatter ground down there and bring it upwards when I near my ball. I learnt that going up steer slopes I need to hold the handle. I've learnt that coming off the fringe of a green I must hang on going down a steep incline so it doesn't get away and tip over. And yes the remote was hard to use but add the bumps the the direction pad and its a different remote I promise. So many things are different then my bat caddy cart and yet the pluses of this cart I find to be so worth it. First is the storage for under the console, the drink holder, the sand bottle clip, the storage inside the console, the remote and phone holders on the console. The umbrella holder compared to having it in your bag. The ease of how the cart will travel and handle when using the console controls. I have 7 or 8 rounds in and have fallen in love with how this cart makes my round feel easier to get thru and each round I find something else new about this cart I didn't know before.
Yes my biggest concern is the battery as well. My course is very hilly. Add when I am done I find my battery down to the last light once even blinking. I've contacted a bagboy rep and he said they are warranting them for 2 years just keep your purchase receipt. Just last week the bagboy rep told me that they tested these battery's for a continuous 20 hours when developing these things. I just dont think they tested them under the strain of the hilly up and down terrain that we face. Time will tell.
I'll be anxious to hear about your next round and how you handled the cart differently compared to your first round. Please keep us informed. Rod

@Tenputt, your thoughts on the cart are right on the money. After my first round I had the same thoughts and I can honestly say I was disappointed with my purchase at that moment. It's a terrible feeling to get when you spend $1500 and you know there is jo way to get your money back......however give the cart another chance. The first round was a learning curve for me. After reevaluating how I handled the cart each round has gotten better and easier to use the cart. Yes I learned that the Volt will slide down a sidesloped hill but I found I can let it find a flatter ground down there and bring it upwards when I near my ball. I learnt that going up steer slopes I need to hold the handle. I've learnt that coming off the fringe of a green I must hang on going down a steep incline so it doesn't get away and tip over. And yes the remote was hard to use but add the bumps the the direction pad and its a different remote I promise. So many things are different then my bat caddy cart and yet the pluses of this cart I find to be so worth it. First is the storage for under the console, the drink holder, the sand bottle clip, the storage inside the console, the remote and phone holders on the console. The umbrella holder compared to having it in your bag. The ease of how the cart will travel and handle when using the console controls. I have 7 or 8 rounds in and have fallen in love with how this cart makes my round feel easier to get thru and each round I find something else new about this cart I didn't know before.
Yes my biggest concern is the battery as well. My course is very hilly. Add when I am done I find my battery down to the last light once even blinking. I've contacted a bagboy rep and he said they are warranting them for 2 years just keep your purchase receipt. Just last week the bagboy rep told me that they tested these battery's for a continuous 20 hours when developing these things. I just dont think they tested them under the strain of the hilly up and down terrain that we face. Time will tell.
I'll be anxious to hear about your next round and how you handled the cart differently compared to your first round. Please keep us informed. Rod
I totally agree with rod7515's assessment. I had the same somewhat dejected, panicky feeling after my first round. I went over and over the round and figured out how to do a few things differently. Round 2 was a total joy and pretty much stress free. There are so many positives with this cart that for me, they far outweigh the few negatives you get with it also.

"Just last week the bagboy rep told me that they tested these battery's for a continuous 20 hours when developing these things. I just dont think they tested them under the strain of the hilly up and down terrain that we face. Time will tell."

I think the "36 holes on a single charge" needs to be taken with a grain of salt ...

@Tennputt
I love my Volt. Same as you I had the MGI ZIP NAV AT for 350+ rounds, 1,770 miles. Your assessment is the same as I have commented on in several posts on this thread. The MGI is a tank. Stable, great battery, exceptional gyro tracking. But after 11 rounds ~62 miles, I have learned how to manage the Volt and am very happy with the compact size, less weight and technology. Based on other’s experiences with the battery this will be something to watch. I have had 3 out of 4 green bars on the battery at the end of every round. The courses I play are a mixture of flat and hilly, all over 5 miles. The remote is a bit twitchy compared to the MGI, but if you add some rubber bumpers on the buttons it becomes more intuitive and easier to use. No buyers remorse but each cart has its pluses and minuses.

Can we get a picture of some of these sidehill lies that the cart is struggling with? I want to see if I would run into issues.

I imagine you pay taxes when purchasing the BB Volt, for $1,699.99 (tax and shipping included) you could have an Axglo e5 follow me cart from motogolf.com.

I will attest that Axglo E5 is stable on hills and uneven ground. I've taken it on hilly courses, muddy courses, over curved bridges - no issues. The follow me feature implementation allows me to take in the scenery or concentrate on my next shot - and the cart will never run into me!

Those considering the BB Volt should really give the Axglo e5 serious consideration.

The cart I am considering does not have an additional storage option like the accessory bag that comes with the Bag Boy carts. I love the little net on my Clicgear manual cart and will miss it, I think. The BB acc bag is available for what seems a reasonable price - and looks like it will fit up to the same area as cart I am considering. Can one of you tell or show me what kind of screws BB uses to attach the acc bag to the underside of the frame? Machine into a threaded insert - or sheet metal type of screw into a hole in the tube? Thanks! Hope you guys are all enjoying your Volts.

Back