#BagBattles - What’s your current battle?

For me it’s not necessarily a bag battle, but trying to figure out how I fill the gap from 5i to 2H. Do I go with 3h drop the 2H and add a 4i know I got that I rarely will hit it?

Current battle, 2 hybrid or 4 wood. Thought the 2 hybrid was going to be my long club after driver, was hitting it 180 to 190 off the deck. Lately can't make good contact with the ball, need to go to driving range. But hate hitting off mats, need to find one that you can hit off grass.

just picked up a 4h mavrik that is currently battling my hogan edge cft 3i, and after 4 holes of use the mavrik is already looking like a winner. 3w spot is definitely seeing some contemplation as well, and irons will be replaced next year so always looking at irons as well.

ho’ing on a budget means i don’t really keep more than one set. the only real options i have right now are two drivers. epic max with velocity d30+, and tsi2 with rdx black 6.0. the tsi2 is on loan, but when it comes back it will get another shot. i like the look and feel of tsi2 so much more than epic max, but forgiveness and spin may be too low. i might try to get the velocity tipped for the titleist and see how that combo goes.

my battles are in staying comfortable with what i have instead of letting my eye wander. i want new irons, but my current irons are some of the best fitting ive ever played. i want new wedges but my short game is such a dumpster fire it doesn’t matter what i have.

Currently thinking about taking the rarely used 60* out and replacing it with a U505 for an extra option off the tee.

With me it pretty much is the putter, me switching to one of my other two if I have a poor putting round. But, I am getting better as using Shot Scope since last July has identified the one of the three that has, over time, consistently given me the best results so I am sticking to it unless I have 2 or 3 poor putting rounds in a row. Then I will switch for one round just to get a different look and feel then go right back to my #1.

I have had a small battle for the driver spot as I bought a PXG driver that I am still experimenting with in regard to the best configuration of both the four replaceable weights and sleeve setting but I am getting very close and it has been in the bag a lot more than the Epic Flash.

Wedge shafts finally came in for the Zipcores after I pirated the original shafts to place into the Snakebites. (Didn’t want to be out of the Cobras for any stretch of time this summer and the lightweight graphite just wasn’t doing it). Plan to have an epic battle later this fall between the two.

Right now it’s my Mizuno MP-18 SC 6i & 7i vs Callaway Apex 19 in 7i & 8i. I’m absolutely flushing the Apex right now, which is causing mental torment. I love my Mizuno irons, but I’m seriously wondering what a full set of Apex irons would be like!

Actually no real battles now. the STG 220 won easily over the 0811X - took me a while to get it dialed in, but that's done. The wedges too, took me a bit longer - as they are smaller face than my old wedges - but now, they just work.

So that only left my putter. I was using the 7s and really loved it, but I put a one step in my machine putter - continue to practice and now look at the front of the ball not the back - and it's a world of difference. I have been using the blade again and loving it. I can switch back and forth without issue (I use the 7s during indoor practice) and the machine during outdoor. i will say the feel is just remarkable with the added 1" and the 3" cleavis pin backweight.

I keep waffling back and forth with Soeedzone 2h or speedzone 3W

I have a 6H or a 6i battling for the spot now. The ground is getting softer. Longer nights and shorter days means the ground doesn't dry out as much. That means more turf interaction. I'm thinking I might do better with a 6i in that spot. Another week we're into preferred lies anyway, so it might be moot.

Current battle, 2 hybrid or 4 wood. Thought the 2 hybrid was going to be my long club after driver, was hitting it 180 to 190 off the deck. Lately can't make good contact with the ball, need to go to driving range. But hate hitting off mats, need to find one that you can hit off grass.

Similar situation, purchased an Apex Pro 2 hybrid about a month ago and just luv it, haven’t hit my 4 wood since.I am thinking maybe next year picking up a 3 wood for primarily off tee on tight tee shot and selling 4 wood. No use holding onto the 4 wood but man has it been a great FW.

Right now it’s my Mizuno MP-18 SC 6i & 7i vs Callaway Apex 19 in 7i & 8i. I’m absolutely flushing the Apex right now, which is causing mental torment. I love my Mizuno irons, but I’m seriously wondering what a full set of Apex irons would be like!

Driver will be replaced, dragging my feet some though.

Want some new wedges.

Putter and irons are safe.

Similar situation, purchased an Apex Pro 2 hybrid about a month ago and just luv it, haven’t hit my 4 wood since.I am thinking maybe next year picking up a 3 wood for primarily off tee on tight tee shot and selling 4 wood. No use holding onto the 4 wood but man has it been a great FW.
Does the 4w not get along well off the tee of looking for jaut those few extra yards

Wedges for me. I’m playing 50-54-60 right now and my 60 is a low bounce club. I think I want to drop something at the top of the bag and go 48-52-56-60 with CB specialty wedges in the 48-52. I love the low bounce option but i think I need to go back to a higher bounce lob wedge.

Does the 4w not get along well off the tee of looking for jaut those few extra yards

The Mavrik 4W was great off both the fairway and tee but I can actually get slightly more distance with the 2H and I can flight it much easier low for additional roll. For me, the 2H is very versatile, I can hit it hghi, low, left or right. Plus it is a bit easier to hit especially out of the rough with the smaller, heavier head and shorter shaft. Additionally the 2H has a stiff shaft and the 4H only has a regular shaft which gives me a bit more confidence in going after it. I changed all my shaft profiles it stiff this year except the 4W, it was going to be the last.

It’s gotta be the driver spot. I’ve carried 2 drivers for about a month now. Ping and a Cobra. The ball flights are quite different so I’ve used them according to shot I want to see. Really think I need a different shaft for the Cobra.

These should be fodder for battles…

1618C2E5-2AEF-4C62-BD13-37CE76D9027F.png

Last edited:
Always driver…. Epic Max LS 9* w/VA composite Nemesys 65 five vs TSi2 8* w/ GD Tour ad XC 6x. Both are really good.

Always driver…. Epic Max LS 9* w/VA composite Nemesys 65 five vs TSi2 8* w/ GD Tour ad XC 6x. Both are really good.

Two bombers there!
Interesting, I have a high balance shaft in my Max LS too.

For me right now it’s still 5w vs hybrid in that spot, and hybrid vs utility in the 3/4 spot. Ugh:

I had a big battle going for almost a year. I just wasn't happy with the performance of my 2 hybrids (18-21) that I had been gaming and something needed to change. So about a month ago I bit the bullet and bought a used Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood and 7 wood to see if those would fill the needs in my bag. Voila ! The battle is over. They both fill in the gaps needed between my 3 wood and 5 iron and am getting not only the distances I needed but also the ball flight.

Back