Borss

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else get frustrated when you get on the green and there's 5+ ball marks?

Ball Marks

I find it very depressing to see that golfer's nowadays do not fix their ball marks. I will usually fix mine and an additional 2-3 on every green. Take pride in keeping a course in good shape.

In your opinion is it the novice golfer who isn't replacing their ball markers or the experienced golfer in a hurry?

I find it very depressing to see that golfer's nowadays do not fix their ball marks. I will usually fix mine and an additional 2-3 on every green. Take pride in keeping a course in good shape.

Agreed.

Does anyone else get frustrated when you get on the green and there's 5+ ball marks?

It is what it is. Just make sure you fix yours and two or three others. That's what it takes.

EDIT: As mmaynard said, hahaha.

I was taught to think of fixing a ball mark as a sense of pride, hitting the green is a good result, so fixing a mark is the sign of having hit a good shot. I try and fix as many as I can without delaying the group or getting in peoples' lines.

I think it's more than amateurs simply not fixing their ball marks...I'd go as far as saying a lot of amateurs don't know how to properly fix a ball mark.

It is as that people dont take the initiative to repair their damage to the course for the next player/players coming along. The one thing that my local course has is really nice greens but I always find numerous pock marks all around the green and if I am playing alone or am far ahead of the group behind I like to take some extra time to fee a few extra marks.

I think it's more than amateurs simply not fixing their ball marks...I'd go as far as saying a lot of amateurs don't know how to properly fix a ball mark.

I agree with this. And I get pretty damn frustrated when I see greens with a lot of ball marks. Even if you take your time and properly do it, it takes maximum 10 seconds. And that's on the long end. Especially at my home course. I don't pay a fortune to be a member there, but I am a member and wished it was a bit more strict on who they let play.

I think it's partly because there are more idiots in the world than ever before.

Fixing ball marks or raking sand traps are not even remotely on the priority list of people that play my course. And those people will be the first to complain if a ball mark is in their line or their ball ends up in a footprint in the sand....

In your opinion is it the novice golfer who isn't replacing their ball markers or the experienced golfer in a hurry?

I feel it's either the golfer that's in a hurry/doesn't care or they weren't taught properly. I lean toward option number one.

The amount of time that it takes to fix a ball mark is way less then it takes some people to read their line and still come up 4-6ft short. I have friends that do this and believe me they get an earful.

And if you don't fix it properly, you're better off not even bothering. When they do it wrong, that's when you see the brown spots on the green from people pulling up the roots.

And if you don't fix it properly, you're better off not even bothering. When they do it wrong, that's when you see the brown spots on the green from people pulling up the roots.

It's a divot tool, not a spade. Vine for ball mark fixing?

Exactly. Tearing the grass is no better than leaving the ball mark.

I have to confess, I did it wrong for a long time because I just didn't know better. They should really give lessons at the pro shop ore something.:beauty:

I have to confess, I did it wrong for a long time because I just didn't know better. They should really give lessons at the pro shop ore something.:beauty:

I did too. I ruined a lot of greens before 2008. That's 30 years of doing it wrong.

I fix as many as I see, the guys I usually play with do as well, Inc on the green its like a search party at times cause you just keep finding them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

With regards to who is leaving them, I find it hard to believe me players who don't know and high handicappers are the problem, when I was really new I barely hit greens with anything more than a chip or short pitch. So I tend to believe the mass amounts of craters being left are from some of the better guys on our course

People who don't fix ball mark, divots, and don't rake bunkers should be punished..... We need a superhero who watches over golf courses :)

People who don't fix ball mark, divots, and don't rake bunkers should be punished..... We need a superhero who watches over golf courses :)

They are called rangers, I just think we need a few more watching the course, maybe have a hidden spot out of view and watch a par 3 see how many guys plunk the green and see if they fix marks, if not make it a teachable moment, no reprimand, just education

The answer to all of golf's issues, is not "more rangers"

I was thinking more along the lines of an avenger that comes screaming out of the trees, tackles the offender, and pummels him..... Too extreme?

The answer to all of golf's issues, is not "more rangers"

That may be true, but with regards to educating John Q. on green maintenance I dont know who else would have the time to notice these mistakes.

The course I was a member of last summer kept a big container of repair tools at the register and handed them out to people as they checked in and paid their fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back