Bandon trip bag adjustments

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
@lockstockrye and I will be headed to Bandon this upcoming weekend. Bandon is a little different climate from the PHX area. Both of us have made the trip to Bandon multiple times so we have our mental checklist for what needs to go in the bag.

Question for the forum is what do you add or take out of your bag for a trip to Bandon? We are playing (walking) 5 rounds in 4 days.

Pacific Dunes - practice round
Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails - Best Ball
Sheep Ranch - Alt shot
Pacific Dunes - Scramble

Extra socks, extra gloves, rain gloves and sunscreen to start with.

Extra socks, extra gloves, rain gloves and sunscreen to start with.
Yup all that is being brought. Socks and gloves will be in bag.

Yup all that is being brought. Socks and gloves will be in bag.
Something I thought I had in my bag (didn’t) and needed today was saline eye drops.

Lip balm and maybe some tape for blisters if they happen?

I've been thinking about Bandon for 10 years .... I need to go sometime.

Good rain shoes (I bought Nike Bandon shoes about 6 yrs ago and have not worn them)
Extra towels
Rain Hat (GoreTex)
Rain Pants and Jacket
Neck Gator
Rain Gloves
Umbrella
Extra Socks
Sunscreen
4 lb bag

Last edited:
Are you taking caddies?

You won't need extra towels if so. Also umbrellas are pretty useless out there. It gets too windy, and they get destroyed.

You won't need more than 6 balls in the bag each round. Other than going into a gorse bush, it is pretty hard to lose balls out there.

Rain pants, jacket, gloves. If it is going to be a day with no weather, you can leave all that at the bag drop so the caddie isn't lugging around extra weight.

The turf is very firm around the greens. I had a low bounce C grind wedge instead of my W grind 12 degrees of bounce wedge. It was great for tight lies where putting wasn't an option.

You don't need a lot of tees and ball markers. You can grab some at each starters shack. Basically, try to cut as much weight from the bag, or they will do it for you when you check in.

Bring extra socks and shoes the day of multiple rounds. You can leave the extras at the bag drop and change before the next round.

Nice humblebag

Are you taking caddies?

You won't need extra towels if so. Also umbrellas are pretty useless out there. It gets too windy, and they get destroyed.

You won't need more than 6 balls in the bag each round. Other than going into a gorse bush, it is pretty hard to lose balls out there.

Rain pants, jacket, gloves. If it is going to be a day with no weather, you can leave all that at the bag drop so the caddie isn't lugging around extra weight.

The turf is very firm around the greens. I had a low bounce C grind wedge instead of my W grind 12 degrees of bounce wedge. It was great for tight lies where putting wasn't an option.

You don't need a lot of tees and ball markers. You can grab some at each starters shack. Basically, try to cut as much weight from the bag, or they will do it for you when you check in.
I agree with all of that. I will be pulling the Rickshaw the entire time so not super worried about weight but will trim down some. My partner will be taking a caddie. This is one of those things that just because you have a caddie doesn't mean you can load up the bag because someone else is carrying it. They will make you leave stuff at the starter's shack. I am really excited to try out the ZTF bag to slim down the bag on the go when needed as well. We don't need all that crap in our bags all the time. Some rounds its ok but sometimes just go with the minimum

I've been thinking about Bandon for 10 years .... I need to go sometime.

Good rain shoes (I bought Nike Bandon shoes about 6 yrs ago and have not worn them)
Extra towels
Rain Hat (GoreTex)
Rain Pants and Jacket
Neck Gator
Rain Gloves
Umbrella
Extra Socks
Sunscreen
4 lb bag
I have some Nike Bandons as well and they have been used very sparingly but they are awesome when I wear them

I agree with all of that. I will be pulling the Rickshaw the entire time so not super worried about weight but will trim down some. My partner will be taking a caddie. This is one of those things that just because you have a caddie doesn't mean you can load up the bag because someone else is carrying it. They will make you leave stuff at the starter's shack. I am really excited to try out the ZTF bag to slim down the bag on the go when needed as well. We don't need all that crap in our bags all the time. Some rounds its ok but sometimes just go with the minimum
They are unapologetic about what is in your bag. It isn't even the caddie who went through it when we showed up, it was the old guy at bag drop. He gave my buddy a lot of crap haha. I had a sun mountain 2.5 with the bare minimum inside.

Socks, chapstick because the winds off the ocean, maybe some hand warmers for the mornings. Bug spray or mosquito bands. Weather should be perfect finally.. but Oregon coast can change in a instant.

I am very jealous I would love to go to Bandon. It is a major commitment from the east coast though.

Have a blast.

I heard they are building one in Colorado I think.

I am very jealous I would love to go to Bandon. It is a major commitment from the east coast though.

Have a blast.
It certainly is. Flying into Portland it is still like a 4.5 hr drive. Flying into Eugene it is ~2.5 hrs. There are options for a flight into North Bend but it is not a major airport so can get spotty with delays.

I don't have any advice, but hope you enjoy it!!

The bag proper? if I’m carrying or a caddie is carrying everything comes out except a sleeve of balls and rain gear. Maybe lip balm, sun screen and an extra set of rain gloves. Keep it light.

Riksha's are the best. Enjoy and play well.

Yep, if you have a caddy they'll take absolutely everything extraneous out. Sometimes if your bag itself is too heavy they'll swap your clubs into a light one they have. So pack a small duffel or something with your extra clothes/gear and leave it at the bag shack or in your car if you drove.

Mentioned above that eye drops can be a real godsend. With all the sand and wind I have got sand in my eyes multiple times and they came in super handy. Also, zip lock bags. Throw your phone in it if needed, wallet etc. I also keep gloves in them as sometimes you get poured on and then it clears up. Nice to keep a few dry gloves on board to switch to.

A 1 iron.

Back