BBB’s single length irons journey.

I love reading about this experience you're having with the single length irons...thanks for the updates

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One thing I forgot.

Not a single person that I have played with has noticed that the irons are the same length. It did come up a few times at the range and was met with responses that I have come to expect. Some genuine interest, some looking me at me like I'm part of some infomercial, and others just dismissing the idea out of hand. There were even a few that tried to explain to me how "they won't work" after watching me do just that. One guy even told me they were non-conforming. haha I guess he really thought that there was rule that said irons had to be different lengths. I suppose the idea of having variable length shafts has been around long enough that some people might think it has to be that way. Even though it really started with the advent of steel shafts, and making "off the rack" sets of irons to fit a variety of golfers, a nd be more affordable vs. custom built hickory shafted irons that were normally the same length.

Heck, even my club guy (who is a fried of mine as well) took some convincing to build them with the shafts all tipped for a 7i, he wanted to tip them the same as a regular set saying he didn't think they would work. Well, I insisted and told him that if they didn't work, I would buy another set of shafts and he could build them like he wanted. He's still seems a bit dubious about the idea as a whole, but admitted they work really well for me.

None of that actually matters to me since I'm not trying to change golf, just trying to find my own way in this crazy game. I just find it interesting to note that golfers can still be a bit stuffy, or misinformed at times, even with all the high tech stuff being bought everyday.

I'm not trying to change golf, just trying to find my own way in this crazy game.

THIS. 1000x.

I feel like I'll always be limited in the amount of time I'll have to master the game, so simplifying it the way a single length set appears to really speaks to me. The only thing holding me back is wanted to try the Cobra's as compared to Sterlings.

THIS. 1000x.

I feel like I'll always be limited in the amount of time I'll have to master the game, so simplifying it the way a single length set appears to really speaks to me. The only thing holding me back is wanted to try the Cobra's as compared to Sterlings.

I want to try those also.

I shot an 81 (41/40) on Sunday’s round, including two birdies, and not many pars due to poor putting. I didn’t have anything higher than a bogey though, which is remarkable for me. I even had a birdie op on #17 which has been a real bugger to me since I started to play this course. I didn’t make the putt unfortunately, but the approach was the shot of the round for me.

I know it’s a really small sample size right now, but I decided to look at some averages. My average score for the past 6 rounds is 83.4, and my average before was around 87. The thing that stands out to me is that not only is it lower overall, all the rounds have been lower, and way more consistent. The past few years my scores have fluctuated between low 80’s to high 90’s, and even a few 100’s mixed in. Only time will tell if it stays that way, of course, but these have been a series of the most consistent rounds that I can recall.

I still love the spin with the wedges. Being able to fly mid-range pitches to the hole and have it stick the way it does is new to me, and has been a huge bonus. I have to beware of crazy green slopes, false fronts, and the like, obviously, but just hitting it at the pin has worked out really well thus far.
The weaker lofts haven’t proved to be a problem and I have adapted to the different set of distance gaps with no issues. The distance control has been great as well. The 8i (at 39*) in this set is good for a reliable 150 carry, give or take a couple yards either way (GPS’ed).
Other than limited availability, I have yet to find a downside to single length irons for myself. I am looking to try other models, especially the F7 One’s from Cobra. The progressive nature of the set and extra forgiveness is only going to improve things for me I believe.

It looks like I will be able to get some more rounds in this weekend. I haven’t put in much range time with these irons, little sim time, and no actual LM time. As the weather gets worse I suppose I will go inside and look more at the numbers. I can’t pass up days like we have had this year for late season golf.

My approach on 17. circled the ball mark.

1d28af1edd3b637442793e7bc2efc4f7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

That's my 5 iron :0) so pretty good there big guy!

This thread scares my wallet. Right when I finally get settled with equipment I see the success you're having with single-length irons and it has me dangerously curious. At the very least tempted to tinker with an old set and shorten 4-6 to 7i length.

Very interested to hear your thoughts when you finally get to swing Cobra's SL offering.

This thread scares my wallet. Right when I finally get settled with equipment I see the success you're having with single-length irons and it has me dangerously curious. At the very least tempted to tinker with an old set and shorten 4-6 to 7i length.

Very interested to hear your thoughts when you finally get to swing Cobra's SL offering.

If your happy with your current irons you might just want to wait and try out the Cobra offering when you can. I get the curiosity though, which is why I went ahead and ordered the stuff to build these, it got the better of me.

Shortening a regular set is not the same since the heads are too light for the shorter shaft, unless you build the weight back up and adjust the loft. I did some preliminary testing by just choking up on my 4,5,6 to get an idea, is still not the same, but easier to try. The lie's will be off, but the lie doesn't matter as much in the longer irons. I tried just choking up on my XRP 4i to 7i length and was able to get nearly the same ball speed as hitting it full length, but my results in hitting a 4i built for single length are much better.

Shortening a regular set is not the same since the heads are too light for the shorter shaft, unless you build the weight back up and adjust the loft. I did some preliminary testing by just choking up on my 4,5,6 to get an idea, is still not the same, but easier to try. The lie's will be off, but the lie doesn't matter as much in the longer irons. I tried just choking up on my XRP 4i to 7i length and was able to get nearly the same ball speed as hitting it full length, but my results in hitting a 4i built for single length are much better.

Yeah I know I'd have to make merry with some lead tape and it'd be far from precise. But the curiosity is very strong, would love to hit a 4-6 in the cobras and see how they'd slot in with my CF16s.

I know you've said distances are pretty similar at the top of the bag for you. Any reason you could see at the moment that a combo set of one length 4-7 and standard 8-gw wouldn't work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah I know I'd have to make merry with some lead tape and it'd be far from precise. But the curiosity is very strong, would love to hit a 4-6 in the cobras and see how they'd slot in with my CF16s.

I know you've said distances are pretty similar at the top of the bag for you. Any reason you could see at the moment that a combo set of one length 4-7 and standard 8-gw wouldn't work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work. And at the same time, I also don't see a need to make the 8-S shorter in my current set. It does feel like I'm swinging the same club every time, they just go different trajectories and distances. I believe that has been a major factor in the consistency I have found with them.

It's cooler than I would like today, as well as windy, which usually equals higher scores for me, but I'm going anyway. The times I have played with these have been pretty still, so I'm interested to see how they work in the wind, especially the 4i since it easier to hit lower than my usual.

42/42 today. Today could have been really good though. It was one of the best ball striking days I have had yet. A couple of badly pulled drives cost me a couple of doubles. And a horrible approach on 17 led to a third double. The pins were in sadistic positions, which pretty much precluded any real chance at birdies. I missed the only one that I had a reasonable chance at.
I'm really thrilled most of the iron shots I hit today, especially since it was very windy and cool.

Another question about one length irons and shafts...... if steel it used in this iron is the shaft and stepped shaft or a non-stepped like a rifle used and with that asked if one decides to play the set at say a 7 iron length are all irons shafted with a 7 iron shaft and weighted appropriately or..... or hypotheticly say a 3 iron included in the set is it shafted with a 7 iron shaft and cut to length or a 3 iron shaft and then trimmed to correct length ? thanks

Another question about one length irons and shafts...... if steel it used in this iron is the shaft and stepped shaft or a non-stepped like a rifle used and with that asked if one decides to play the set at say a 7 iron length are all irons shafted with a 7 iron shaft and weighted appropriately or..... or hypotheticly say a 3 iron included in the set is it shafted with a 7 iron shaft and cut to length or a 3 iron shaft and then trimmed to correct length ? thanks
All the shafts I used are .370 parallel tip stepped shafts, all tipped for a 7i (3"), and butt trimmed to length.

That's great you're making them work for you and seeing results.

The club builder in me still wonders if flighted shafts would be better for the low irons.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

The club builder in me still wonders if flighted shafts would be better for the low irons.

I wonder the same thing sometimes. I was going by the manufacturers recommendation with these. I've thought about tipping the wedges a little, and the adding length back to the butt. And then I wonder if the fact that all the shafts have the same bend profile is doing a lot to help with consistency. I certainly don't want to lose any of that.

Certainly couldn't hurt. I suppose no reason to change unless you have issues with launch height in the low irons and wedges

Certainly couldn't hurt. I suppose no reason to change unless you have issues with launch height in the low irons and wedges

I have been able to adjust the trajectory with the wedges by just moving the ball back or forward some as needed. I haven't spent much time on an LM or sim with these so far. That is something I may mess with this winter when I'm forced indoors though. Right now I'm just trying to make the most of the extended season we are having this year.

I tinkered with that in the set of Wishon Sterlings that my brother confiscated from me. They were originally shafted with a set of RP Rifle Flighteds (5.0) in part because I had that set sitting around. I hit the 5, 7 and PW on a Trackman and then swapped the shafts over to XP 105s as my brother wanted something a bit lighter. There really was little difference in the launch angle and spin numbers when we put that combination on Trackman versus the original Rifles.

My brother has loved his set and has recorded his first sub 75 rounds. Greens in regulation have gone up 2.1 per round without a change in his driving statistics. I'm fine with my 3/8" step set (there is only a 2" range between the 5 iron and lob wedge) and I love my Maltby DBMs but I do think single-length makes a ton of sense for a lot of players. Will probably build a set of the Pinhawks for my best friend (who has a fused spine) so he can play in his most comfortable position.

My approach on 17. circled the ball mark.

1d28af1edd3b637442793e7bc2efc4f7.jpg

Nice shot BBB! But was there a penalty flag thrown on that play? Looks like one on the green.

I am definitely intrigued by the idea of single-length irons. I read the SI story on Bryson DeChambeau & the whole idea appeals to the science nerd in me. I wonder if this approach would be best for someone like me (i.e., not much natural talent & certainly limited as far as hand-eye coordination goes IMHO). With so many variables that can potentially affect my shot on each and every swing, it makes sense to me to remove as many variables as possible.

Heck, it might not even be hand-eye coordination. Maybe there's a different name for my limitation; proprioception, maybe? One of the hardest things for me (especially when I don't get to play or practice every day) is to feel like I'm setting up to the ball the same way for each shot. I can tell when things feel "off" but I have little idea why. I imagine it's easier to find your stance - and build up a comfort level more quickly - if each club length is the same.

One question: Has this affected your swings using driver/woods/hybrids? Do they feel the same as before?

Nice shot BBB! But was there a penalty flag thrown on that play? Looks like one on the green.

I am definitely intrigued by the idea of single-length irons. I read the SI story on Bryson DeChambeau & the whole idea appeals to the science nerd in me. I wonder if this approach would be best for someone like me (i.e., not much natural talent & certainly limited as far as hand-eye coordination goes IMHO). With so many variables that can potentially affect my shot on each and every swing, it makes sense to me to remove as many variables as possible.

Heck, it might not even be hand-eye coordination. Maybe there's a different name for my limitation; proprioception, maybe? One of the hardest things for me (especially when I don't get to play or practice every day) is to feel like I'm setting up to the ball the same way for each shot. I can tell when things feel "off" but I have little idea why. I imagine it's easier to find your stance - and build up a comfort level more quickly - if each club length is the same.

One question: Has this affected your swings using driver/woods/hybrids? Do they feel the same as before?
No its just a big leaf. Haha

I don't find that it's caused any issue with my longer clubs. As a matter of fact a couple of really good 3w shots saved me some strokes yesterday. My driver has been hot and cold, but that started before I had these irons.

Just an 83 today 42/41 in the gusty wind. Not many GIRS today, but nothing terrible either. Decent chipping and pitching kept the score going up too much.

I find that I do better chipping and pitching with the set sand wedge if I don't choke up on it. That seems strange to me, but it does seem to lead to better results. I just take my normal stance and make normal, but much smaller, swings. I need to work on that some more till I trust it, however, since I left some short that could have been really good.

Back