BCS National Championship Game

The ACC has VT as its conference champion this year and they were unranked. The NCAA march madness comparison does not work. Take a team from a midmajor that goes 20-6 and then loses in the opening round of their conference tourny. They DO NOT get in most of the time. It is a flawed system, everybody knows that. But it is here and the conference championships do not hurt anyone. It gives the fans another great game each year. You want the old system back where the big 10 and the pac 10 play every year in a game. No, nobody does.

The ACC has VT as its conference champion this year and they were unranked. The NCAA march madness comparison does not work. Take a team from a midmajor that goes 20-6 and then loses in the opening round of their conference tourny. They DO NOT get in most of the time. It is a flawed system, everybody knows that. But it is here and the conference championships do not hurt anyone. It gives the fans another great game each year. You want the old system back where the big 10 and the pac 10 play every year in a game. No, nobody does.

Neither the old system nor the new system works. Their shouldnt be a month off from the last day of the season until the bowl games. If the march madness arguement doesnt work then how about a wild card team winning the world series or super bowl?

Do you remember when the season was only 10/11 games long. During that timespan they said no to a playoff because they didnt want the teams playing 12 games a season. They also said no to a playoff because they say it interferes with the scholastic schedule.

The powers that be are pure hypocrites. Joe Paterno did a press conference a few years ago explaining his stance on it and he didnt hesitate to point fingers. If you can find it, it is worth a listen/read. If you want to lay faith in anyones view point on the situation it should be his considering he has had 5 undefeated season with only 2 national championships.

I agree with you, yet Joe Paterno was one of the few people that stood and protested a national championship game years ago. He thought the Big Ten and the Pac 10 should always be in the Rose Bowl.

There will never be a perfect system. But in the end this is about money and putting money into the schools and conferences. So the water cooler talk is what it is all about and it is WORKING IF THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE AFTER.

We will never have a true national champion in football even with an "And 1" game which is what they are leaning towards next. There will always be the argument that "my team was left out".

I agree with you, yet Joe Paterno was one of the few people that stood and protested a national championship game years ago. He thought the Big Ten and the Pac 10 should always be in the Rose Bowl.

There will never be a perfect system. But in the end this is about money and putting money into the schools and conferences. So the water cooler talk is what it is all about and it is WORKING IF THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE AFTER.

We will never have a true national champion in football even with an "And 1" game which is what they are leaning towards next. There will always be the argument that "my team was left out".

It is being speculated that ESPN has successfully pulled the wool over the BCS's eyes. With ther new contract the language states that they will have network rights for all BCS games. The contract didnt specify the games by name, or exactly how many because the final revisions were made by ESPN. The rumor is that with ESPN at the helm they will start pushing for a plus one or two format because they have the television rights for any game that is added at no extra expense. It was a very smart negotiation tactic by Disney.

Yea, Joe P was against a playoff... but now that the NCAA is doing everything that they said they wouldnt... he supports it now. He has said if they maintained the viewpoints they originally set forth then he would continue to be against a playoff. Now that everything the NCAA does and says is a complete reversal of their previous stances... he wants the playoff.

I cant listen to Joe P. This is a guy that was against the playoff from the beginning. He was against a National Championship game. And has no issue with the fact that Big 10 teams do not even play all of their conference opponents.

45-35

That is all.

Seriously??? Or is this just your manditory thread jack???

The captain of my college football team was a Phi Beta Kappa who went to med school. Tells you something about the strength of the football program.

Back