Beer League Hockey

Our games officially start back Monday the 15th! Looking forward to it. I've gained a few (well, more than a few) pounds during the COVID situation so I'm about to be like a beached whale out there. o_O
Jealous. Still haven't heard anything here. Recreational sports (I assume this includes rinks) is phase 4, which is still at least a few weeks away.

Jealous. Still haven't heard anything here. Recreational sports (I assume this includes rinks) is phase 4, which is still at least a few weeks away.

Most places are opened up around here now. Many restaurants have less tables that are spaced out but I went to a restaurant the other day that was fully packed, except for at that bar -- bar seating was not allowed. All employees were wearing masks.

Love me some beer league, but slowly my body is not loving it back.

Love me some beer league, but slowly my body is not loving it back.
Same here. Those days after get tougher and tougher. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 48, and I'm in the upper half of the age range on my team. I want to play until at a minimum age 50, so I can have at least a couple seasons playing with my son on the roster. He turns 18 this fall and is eligible to play (although we did sneak him in for a few games last year).

We have been back at it for a couple weeks with session championship games suppose to go on this week until a player in another division tested positive for COVID. League play has now been shut down for another 2 weeks. We'll see what happens!

I used to play a lot. Goalies don't pay around here.

I finally quit almost two years ago due to my back being a mess the next morning.

FB_IMG_1514820659766.jpg

Anybody still playing? Our Christmas break is set to end and first game back is January 7th! Looking forward to it a whole lot!

See the new Project X sticks?! I MUST find one of them!

League is starting back up tentatively after the 16th, pending restrictions being lifted in MI. Can’t wait.

Anybody still playing? Our Christmas break is set to end and first game back is January 7th! Looking forward to it a whole lot!

Still no word on restarting. Our last game was on March 13th. Organized games still are not permitted in NY. I've been playing in a weekly pickup game pretty regularly, which also technically isn't allowed, but some rinks are more lax on the rules than others.

Still no word on restarting. Our last game was on March 13th. Organized games still are not permitted in NY. I've been playing in a weekly pickup game pretty regularly, which also technically isn't allowed, but some rinks are more lax on the rules than others.
Wow. What a year eh?!

Our league started up in October and looks like we’re going to continue here. Just a few small adaptations like no showering and only allowed in the dressing rooms 15 mins before, and 15 mins after your game.

Wow. What a year eh?!

Our league started up in October and looks like we’re going to continue here. Just a few small adaptations like no showering and only allowed in the dressing rooms 15 mins before, and 15 mins after your game.
Probably a little cold up there this time of year to drink beer in the parking lot afterward, eh? :LOL:

I'm 52. Several years ago, I had stopped playing in leagues, because, quite frankly, there always seemed to be that one guy out there wanting to make a good case for anger management classes, and I didn't want to have to worry about whoever it was ruining my ability to work or do Dad stuff the next day. However, my oldest started playing a couple of years ago, so I've gotten back into it. Now, I play in a once-a-week quasi-instructional program, where we do some drills for 30 minutes, then play a 60 minute scrimmage (with refs). Only two teams, and we swap players if things seem lopsided for too many weeks in a row.

I miss the competitive thrill of playing for a trophy and having different opponents, but not as much as you'd think. It's nice just being out on the ice again. My body doesn't do all the things my brain remembers, but working on it. We've been shut down since the end of November (as have all indoor sports), but hopefully things will start back up again soon.

Last edited:
Probably a little cold up there this time of year to drink beer in the parking lot afterward, eh? :LOL:
Haha! Nope. Definitely team meetings in the parking lot afterward still! Just make sure to have a coozy!

I'm 52. Several years ago, I had stopped playing in leagues, because, quite frankly, there always seemed to be guy out there wanting to make a good case for needing anger management classes, and I didn't want to have to worry about whoever it was ruining my ability to work or do Dad stuff the next day. However, my oldest started playing a couple of years ago, so I've gotten back into it. Now, I play in a once-a-week quasi-instructional program, where we do some drills for 30 minutes, then play a 60 minute scrimmage (with refs). Only two teams, and we swap players if things seem lopsided for too many weeks in a row.

I miss the competitive thrill of playing for a trophy and having different opponents, but not as much as you'd think. It's nice just being out on the ice again. My body doesn't do all the things my brain remembers, but working on it. We've been shut down since the end of November (as have all indoor sports), but hopefully things will start back up again soon.
Excellent to get back out there! And I agree with you - I still like winning, but I play for the camaraderie and the pure enjoyment of the game.

Here's hoping things open back up again for you guys!

Yup - looks like we’re starting up on Sunday. Not sure the legs are ready for it though...

Yup - looks like we’re starting up on Sunday. Not sure the legs are ready for it though...
Ah, everybody will be feeling it after Christmas! Be a good skate!

Ah, everybody will be feeling it after Christmas! Be a good skate!
Ready for it. Technically it’s a “practice” since we can’t actually have games yet... but does it really qualify as a game anyways when the goal is to have a few brews afterwards?

Ready for it. Technically it’s a “practice” since we can’t actually have games yet... but does it really qualify as a game anyways when the goal is to have a few brews afterwards?
Haha it's all for fun anyhow, right?!

Haha it's all for fun anyhow, right?!
yep. Just about fun. I started playing a few years ago at age 40. Wanted to play growing up but parents wouldn't let me. I've always been able to skate pretty well (much better now) but just didn't play except for some pond hockey. Moved to California to play baseball and played that for many years. Once I moved back to MN met up with some hockey guys and they invited me to check it out. It's been my reprieve during the weekend ever since I started playing. Tons of fun and the dudes are very good to me in that most are much better (even have a former NHLer in our group).

New York finally just announced that high risk sports can restart on February 1st, pending approval of county health departments. This probably doesn't mean much for my men's league, since they won't be able to get much ice with all the school and travel teams trying to squeeze in a season. And we usually end in March anyway. But at least it looks like summer season will be a go, and the pickup game I've been playing in all along won't technically be illegal anymore.

Got the official word today. We start up the week of February 15th, almost exactly 11 months after our last game. The regular season has been cut from 20 games in a typical year to 10. Then after playoffs, we'll go straight into summer season instead of having the typical 6-8 weeks off.

Got the official word today. We start up the week of February 15th, almost exactly 11 months after our last game. The regular season has been cut from 20 games in a typical year to 10. Then after playoffs, we'll go straight into summer season instead of having the typical 6-8 weeks off.
At least you'll get to play some games!

Anybody still play ice hockey? I’ve got a lot of a gear in storage that I will never use. I can get an inventory together if people want, but it’s generally xl pants, 14” gloves, shin pads/elbows. And some pro stock sticks. Everything is in great condition and mostly the top level equipment from about 5 years ago.

If anyone is interested, I’ll let it go if you pay shipping.

I’m still playing a few months after reaching age 50. And actually currently second on my team in scoring. Having my 19 year old son on my line makes it easy to pick up a lot of garbage points when he does all the work.

Very generous offer. I hope someone takes advantage. I’ll likely do the same when I eventually hang the skates up for good.

Had to revive this thread for a little bragging, even if I didn’t personally contribute much.

Last night we were down 5-0 in the 3rd period and our second best player had been ejected for chirping at the ref. We came back to tie the game at 6 with twenty seconds left and our goalie pulled. Stacked a line with the younger guys and we won it 7-6 on the first shift of OT!

Back