Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

Ive seen the same thing. In my simulator numbers there is no comparison the Hogan should be my driver. Avg drive is over 10 yards farther and on my best balls the Hogan was 24 yards longer vs the best strike with my m5... But like you mentioned its not too forgiving. The hogan on course for me is very strange. In the same round Ill have 2-3 of my best drives all year, then 2-3 drives completely unplayable. My miss is that high toe and for this club its very punishing

I think what I need to do is stop playing the m5 and commit to the Hogan so its not always in my mind. Any time I hit a bad drive with the Hogan I immediately think I should play the m5 since I still take it with me. For the rest of the month ill leave it at home and hopefully that erases any uncertainty b/c the Hogan is capable of so much!
Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one seeing it! It's hard to stay in a round when there isn't a lot to be positive about. It is a fantastic club, but I just wonder if there are compatibility issues with my swing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one seeing it! It's hard to stay in a round when there isn't a lot to be positive about. It is a fantastic club, but I just wonder if there are compatibility issues with my swing.

My saving grace has been since I've purchased the Original One mini driver. I know I can hit fairways with it. Theres been rounds after my first 2 drives with the Hogan go straight right and I don't use it the rest of the day. Then play the next day and ill hit 8 or 9 fairways, but the misses are still awful. I love the long ball I can with it, but personally feel I'm by the end of the round im giving away 4 stokes on penalties or punch out under trees

Actual picture of @Jbuck31 5 wood from the Hogan event.
230cbf46edae3ba0c85cf25e2da0f872.jpg

Thanks man ! LOL

Ok here are my thoughts with the 9.0 head I got from Shaft Up.

Aesthetic: Classic look, not what I'm used to as I've been using more modern looking TM and Cobra drivers but still nice. Doesn't overdo it with visible tech or labeling every feature.

Sound: Nice solid thwack with no metallic pinging.

Feel: Also solid, feels great out of the middle. Competes with the big brands here.

Performance: Absolutely competes with the big brands here. Well struck shots go the distance and forgiveness is comparable to other recent releases. If you are sacrificing anything for the price, it's moveable weight tracks and other gizmos. Pick your loft and go at it. I swing 98-100mph or so and my long drives measured by Arcoss were in the 265-270 range with a mid to high flight. Average was 245.

The negative: I don't like the look at address. Something about the point where the hosel and the top line meet just doesn't look right to me. I had trouble with alignment. I'm a bit out to in and I had to feel like the face was wide open at setup to avoid pull draws. If this doesn't stay in the bag, this will be the reason.

Bottom line: This is a very playable driver at a great price. If you like the looks and the address fits your eye, no reason not to try this one as it can go just as high/far/straight as the big name clubs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ok here are my thoughts with the 9.0 head I got from Shaft Up.

Aesthetic: Classic look, not what I'm used to as I've been using more modern looking TM and Cobra drivers but still nice. Doesn't overdo it with visible tech or labeling every feature.

Sound: Nice solid thwack with no metallic pinging.

Feel: Also solid, feels great out of the middle. Competes with the big brands here.

Performance: Absolutely competes with the big brands here. Well struck shots go the distance and forgiveness is comparable to other recent releases. If you are sacrificing anything for the price, it's moveable weight tracks and other gizmos. Pick your loft and go at it. I swing 98-100mph or so and my long drives measured by Arcoss were in the 265-270 range with a mid to high flight. Average was 245.

The negative: I don't like the look at address. Something about the point where the hosel and the top line meet just doesn't look right to me. I had trouble with alignment. I'm a bit out to in and I had to feel like the face was wide open at setup to avoid pull draws. If this doesn't stay in the bag, this will be the reason.

Bottom line: This is a very playable driver at a great price. If you like the looks and the address fits your eye, no reason not to try this one as it can go just as high/far/straight as the big name clubs.

What shaft did you get fit into again?

The ATTAS

Oh Nice! I really want to try that shaft some day soon.

My 9 degree is on the way today. I went with the HZRDUS Smoke - and I'm anticipating it will be a low spin monster. My only fear is that I didn't demo one ahead of time, but for the price it was hard to pass up. It'll be interesting to see what I think about alignment and the setup at address because that might be the one thing I struggle with when testing drivers as well.

Oh Nice! I really want to try that shaft some day soon.

My 9 degree is on the way today. I went with the HZRDUS Smoke - and I'm anticipating it will be a low spin monster. My only fear is that I didn't demo one ahead of time, but for the price it was hard to pass up. It'll be interesting to see what I think about alignment and the setup at address because that might be the one thing I struggle with when testing drivers as well.
I love the ATTAS. My Hogan 3w is on the way from UST from winning our match against Danny and JB with the same shaft.

If I move back to my F9, the ATTAS will follow.

Received the GS53 9* driver yesterday. 44.5" length with the Hzrdus Smoke 5.5 reg shaft with the stock Hogan grip. I selected the 9* head thinking I could move it to the 10* position that moves the head 2* closed after a few rounds in the stock position. I want to get away from the slight cut driver result by going 1* up and 2* and looking forward to playing it in the 10* position.

I played it today in the as received 9* position. Love the slightly lower ball flight that loft provides. Love the muted whack impact sound, and the impact feel is pure. Will take a few more rounds before I decide to replace the Cleveland Launcher 10.5* gamer driver. I hit a few heel and high toe shots with the GS53 today and the results were surprisingly good.

Received the GS53 9* driver yesterday. 44.5" length with the Hzrdus Smoke 5.5 reg shaft with the stock Hogan grip. I selected the 9* head thinking I could move it to the 10* position that moves the head 2* closed after a few rounds in the stock position. I want to get away from the slight cut driver result by going 1* up and 2* and looking forward to playing it in the 10* position.

I played it today in the as received 9* position. Love the slightly lower ball flight that loft provides. Love the muted whack impact sound, and the impact feel is pure. Will take a few more rounds before I decide to replace the Cleveland Launcher 10.5* gamer driver. I hit a few heel and high toe shots with the GS53 today and the results were surprisingly good.

Agree with the sound, and I believe most everyone in our event said the same, the sound is really good.

Looking forward to trying the Accra TZ6 shaft in the GS53 driver head tomorrow. Epoxied the adapter on last night so it will be ready to go.

4fca082f08118856ed706c4d92b1a95e.jpg

Ball speed a little down but the launch and spin from this and Lin-Q are crazy! I have the 10.5 head lifted up to 11. I feel there’s still even more potential cuz optimal launch could slightly be up a little more

Hit 2 rockets right in a row. Carried 279 and 287.. figured out my swing a bit more with this and have been able to mostly avoid the high toe miss to the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ball speed a little down but the launch and spin from this and Lin-Q are crazy! I have the 10.5 head lifted up to 11. I feel there’s still even more potential cuz optimal launch could slightly be up a little more

Hit 2 rockets right in a row. Carried 279 and 287.. figured out my swing a bit more with this and have been able to mostly avoid the high toe miss to the right

That is awesome man. I saw you hit a couple of bombs with this one.

That's impressive!

Great numbers Jfrigo, looking forward to seeing some hard numbers of my own.

Comparison pic's of the GS53 9* and the Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* drivers.

I like the looks of the GS53 head better, seems to be a little more rounder than the HB that is slightly pointed at the back of the head, at least to my eye.

7%2015%2019%20drivers%20a_zps2wtlade0.jpg

The GS53 looks to be a little shorter, face height wise.

7%2015%2019%20drivers%20b_zpsorwdygzw.jpg

Sweet results day with the GS53 9* driver at the 10*, 2* closed face, setting. Long, straight and good roll out. Can't get over the impact sound, and feel. Cleveland may have to take a break from the bag.

After a little bit of a slow start to get my timing down, hit some really good drives with the GS53 / Accra TR6 combo yesterday. Definitely showed enough promise to keep trotting that combo out to the course. Time will tell whether that combo is better for me than the Helium in the driver head.

Just gripped my 5 wood after taking the Helium out and tipping it 1/2 inch. Put an extender in the butt to make up for the tipping and added another 1/2" so it now plays at 42.5". Swing weight came out dead on what I wanted it at after pulling the lead tape off the head that was on there when playing it at stock 42".

Bout to return my demo set with helium stiffs. Have 5w with the hzrdus smoke stiff and a Srixon 9* z585 hzrdus stiff... Both feel good, have good control.

The demos are just too whippy with the shaft...a couple shots that I did time right definitely felt great though...and like many have said, the driver sounds amazing.

Perhaps with some different shafts... Think I may need to get the 3w with the hzrdus smoke.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bout to return my demo set with helium stiffs. Have 5w with the hzrdus smoke stiff and a Srixon 9* z585 hzrdus stiff... Both feel good, have good control.

The demos are just too whippy with the shaft...a couple shots that I did time right definitely felt great though...and like many have said, the driver sounds amazing.

Perhaps with some different shafts... Think I may need to get the 3w with the hzrdus smoke.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have the 3w with hzrdus smoke and really enjoy it. It feels great, and it has really good ball flight. I have no issues with it off the tee or off the deck.

So, I have hit the driver and 3 wood a lot over the last 2 days. I spent 3 hours at the range Friday and played 18 today. I am struggling with the driver. It probably cost me 4-5 strokes on the front 9. Was getting a right/hard right ball flight. I was aiming left, so I wound up in the right rough or tree line. Had to punch out a few times. I hit everything center or slightly heel side. I purposely stayed away from the toe. The driver sounds and feels great. I like the HZRDUS Black Smoke, I think I prefer my HZRDUS Black better. The grips...the grips are...(sigh)...I want to try and be positive, but there isn't much positive to say. It was 97 degrees in Wilmywood today with 70-75% humidity. They were very slick by hole 13. Had to wipe them with a towel before using them. I did pull the driver on 18. 18 is a long Par 5 about 550 yards up hill into the wind and hard dog leg right. I hit it well, ball started left and faded back toward the middle. Went 250 yards. Best shot using the driver in 2 days. I have it set closed at 10*.
Because of my struggles with the driver, I teed off with the 3 wood starting on hole 6. This fairway wood was amazing! I went on to hit the next 7/8 fairways. The one fairway I missed rolled into the first cut on the left by 2-3 feet. Everything was straight or started left and came back to the middle. It was almost automatic. 225 yards in the fairway. The 3 wood feels great! You get a feeling of effortlessness...it's so smooth! You swing and the ball goes!
This has been my M.O. for a while. Struggles with a driver, hits the 3 well. I am really working hard on my swing right now. Any negatives, outside of the grips, falls on me and positives are to be credited to Ben Hogan Golf. I am trying to slow my swing down, limit the backswing, stay on the correct plane, etc. My other driver and 3 wood are longer, but that's due to my swing adjustments right now. I know this driver will perform...just need to step my game up to take advantage of it. The 3 wood is a weapon! I will visit the simulator Monday and get some numbers.

So, I have hit the driver and 3 wood a lot over the last 2 days. I spent 3 hours at the range Friday and played 18 today. I am struggling with the driver. It probably cost me 4-5 strokes on the front 9. Was getting a right/hard right ball flight. I was aiming left, so I wound up in the right rough or tree line. Had to punch out a few times. I hit everything center or slightly heel side. I purposely stayed away from the toe. The driver sounds and feels great. I like the HZRDUS Black Smoke, I think I prefer my HZRDUS Black better. The grips...the grips are...(sigh)...I want to try and be positive, but there isn't much positive to say. It was 97 degrees in Wilmywood today with 70-75% humidity. They were very slick by hole 13. Had to wipe them with a towel before using them. I did pull the driver on 18. 18 is a long Par 5 about 550 yards up hill into the wind and hard dog leg right. I hit it well, ball started left and faded back toward the middle. Went 250 yards. Best shot using the driver in 2 days. I have it set closed at 10*.
Because of my struggles with the driver, I teed off with the 3 wood starting on hole 6. This fairway wood was amazing! I went on to hit the next 7/8 fairways. The one fairway I missed rolled into the first cut on the left by 2-3 feet. Everything was straight or started left and came back to the middle. It was almost automatic. 225 yards in the fairway. The 3 wood feels great! You get a feeling of effortlessness...it's so smooth! You swing and the ball goes!
This has been my M.O. for a while. Struggles with a driver, hits the 3 well. I am really working hard on my swing right now. Any negatives, outside of the grips, falls on me and positives are to be credited to Ben Hogan Golf. I am trying to slow my swing down, limit the backswing, stay on the correct plane, etc. My other driver and 3 wood are longer, but that's due to my swing adjustments right now. I know this driver will perform...just need to step my game up to take advantage of it. The 3 wood is a weapon! I will visit the simulator Monday and get some numbers.

Agree the grips suck but I’ve never liked Lamkin. I changed my grip the very next day I got mine....and shaft wise the smoke and black are completely different!! I played the black for 2 seasons and loved it, the Smoke is way looser at the tip and I find it to go hard right whenever I’ve demoed a stock club. The black is much more stout and tip stiff so maybe that could help your timing and straighten out a bit

Played in a scramble today and damn did the driver perform well!! The caddy said I hit balls to parts of the fairway he’s never seen before lol.. overall I hit 10 out of 14 fairways. 3 of the misses were way right but I’ve finally accepted that’s my fault. Bad swing, bad path, equals bad strike

According to arccos my avg drive today was 285. Long bomb on a par 5 was 317. Now that I’ve given this club my full attention over my m5, there is no comparison how much of a better fit this driver is for me over anything else.... I do think there are more forgiving drivers out there, but I center the ball more than I mishit it, so for me I’m going with the driver that gives me better overall numbers vs better numbers on bad strikes

Played in a scramble today and damn did the driver perform well!! The caddy said I hit balls to parts of the fairway he’s never seen before lol.. overall I hit 10 out of 14 fairways. 3 of the misses were way right but I’ve finally accepted that’s my fault. Bad swing, bad path, equals bad strike

According to arccos my avg drive today was 285. Long bomb on a par 5 was 317. Now that I’ve given this club my full attention over my m5, there is no comparison how much of a better fit this driver is for me over anything else.... I do think there are more forgiving drivers out there, but I center the ball more than I mishit it, so for me I’m going with the driver that gives me better overall numbers vs better numbers on bad strikes
Glad you got it lined out Jfrigo!

Man those are some killer numbers. I agree with the mishits, but like you I find the center quite often with the driver and the results are too good to take out of my bag.

Back