Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Yes. I think they are 2 degrees weaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense.

You thinking about taking them that strong or splitting the difference?

How is the sound/feel?

Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Makes sense.

You thinking about taking them that strong or splitting the difference?

How is the sound/feel?

Flushed shots were great(the few I actually hit). I think i will match them with my current gamers which are pretty standard. Once i get better with them I am sure they will have a shot in the bag for a while

Last edited:
Played another 9 holes with these tonight. I was going to go with an all iron bag, but ended up throwing my driver and 4-hybrid in as well. The hybrid did me well, but the driver only helped me on one hole. I removed the driver for my league round tomorrow, just the irons and the 4-hybrid are in the bag.

Anyway, I friggin' love these irons. Every shot I hit went exactly how far I wanted it to go, except a monster 190 yard 7-iron shot out of the rough that worked out very well on a par 5. I was basically point and shoot with these things tonight, I just strayed a little left with my 6-iron on the 9th hole. The photo below was, I think, the best shot of the round with the irons. I was playing a 140 yard shot (130 with 140 slope reading) and hit my 8-iron to there (basically over that tree). If it didn't have a little fade on it I might have had a really nice look for birdie. As it went, I had a 2 putt par.

I was +5 through the first 3 holes (bogey, bogey, triple) and only hit the irons once (well struck shot on hole 1 with my 6-iron). I played the final 6 holes at +3, going par, bogey, double, par, par, par. Which, for me, is unreal. Ask JB, Danny, or hambone1023, I wasn't showing anything like that in Vegas. I'd have a good shot here and there, but lacked any consistency what-so-ever. And the course I played tonight usually eats me alive. I shot a 50 on the same 9 last Saturday. I really hope I can keep this up, because that was the most satisfying 9 holes I've ever played in my life.

TLDR: I'm in love with this PTx/Recoil 110 combo.

giphy.gif

1BG1T9q.jpg

Played another 9 holes with these tonight. I was going to go with an all iron bag, but ended up throwing my driver and 4-hybrid in as well. The hybrid did me well, but the driver only helped me on one hole. I removed the driver for my league round tomorrow, just the irons and the 4-hybrid are in the bag.

Anyway, I friggin' love these irons. Every shot I hit went exactly how far I wanted it to go, except a monster 190 yard 7-iron shot out of the rough that worked out very well on a par 5. I was basically point and shoot with these things tonight, I just strayed a little left with my 6-iron on the 9th hole. The photo below was, I think, the best shot of the round with the irons. I was playing a 140 yard shot (130 with 140 slope reading) and hit my 8-iron to there (basically over that tree). If it didn't have a little fade on it I might have had a really nice look for birdie. As it went, I had a 2 putt par.

I was +5 through the first 3 holes (bogey, bogey, triple) and only hit the irons once (well struck shot on hole 1 with my 6-iron). I played the final 6 holes at +3, going par, bogey, double, par, par, par. Which, for me, is unreal. Ask JB, Danny, or hambone1023, I wasn't showing anything like that in Vegas. I'd have a good shot here and there, but lacked any consistency what-so-ever. And the course I played tonight usually eats me alive. I shot a 50 on the same 9 last Saturday. I really hope I can keep this up, because that was the most satisfying 9 holes I've ever played in my life.

TLDR: I'm in love with this PTx/Recoil 110 combo.

giphy.gif

1BG1T9q.jpg

Awesome dude. Nice to see you are getting comfortable with the new sticks. I just got mine bent to match my current gamers and have a tourney tomorrow. Also will play Monday i think so i can finally put some work in with these.

Awesome dude. Nice to see you are getting comfortable with the new sticks. I just got mine bent to match my current gamers and have a tourney tomorrow. Also will play Monday i think so i can finally put some work in with these.

I'm not sure what it is about the clubs, but I actually have confidence in my swing with one of them in my hands. That's not something I've ever really had with my previous set.

I hope the clubs work a lot better for you now that they're bent to match your gamers. I was pretty bummed when I saw your earlier post about not liking them.

I'm not sure what it is about the clubs, but I actually have confidence in my swing with one of them in my hands. That's not something I've ever really had with my previous set.

I hope the clubs work a lot better for you now that they're bent to match your gamers. I was pretty bummed when I saw your earlier post about not liking them.

I hear ya. That was a frustration post for sure. Once I am able to put some work in with these I think they will be fine

You definitely have me chomping at the bit to receive mine. I agree in regards to the confidence factor. I have always felt more comfortable with Hogan irons in play than I do with any other brand of irons.

You definitely have me chomping at the bit to receive mine. I agree in regards to the confidence factor. I have always felt more comfortable with Hogan irons in play than I do with any other brand of irons.
I would have never thought I'd have such confidence in them so quickly considering they're downright tiny compared to my old G5's, but here we are. I step up to the ball and know I'm hitting it where I want it now, instead of swinging timidly not knowing what's going to happen.

I'm looking forward to hearing how they work out for you. I'm guessing you're going to love them.

I would have never thought I'd have such confidence in them so quickly considering they're downright tiny compared to my old G5's, but here we are. I step up to the ball and know I'm hitting it where I want it now, instead of swinging timidly not knowing what's going to happen.

I'm looking forward to hearing how they work out for you. I'm guessing you're going to love them.

That is my guess as well. Certainly have enjoyed gaming the PTx irons for the past 11.5 months and am looking forward to the little extra forgiveness that I understand the Pro's offer. Beauty and forgivenss are a marriage made in heaven when it comes to golf clubs!

That is my guess as well. Certainly have enjoyed gaming the PTx irons for the past 11.5 months and am looking forward to the little extra forgiveness that I understand the Pro's offer. Beauty and forgivenss are a marriage made in heaven when it comes to golf clubs!

From the few times I got out the demo clubs they are definitely appealing and it's not hard to find the sweet spot at all.

Just swapped in some Project X LZ 6.5's to my set. I was enjoying hitting them with the KBS Tour V's, but somehow it just didn't feel quite right, so decided to switch in a shaft I know and love.

Can't wait to hit them this weekend!

How do the PTX Pros compare with the Srixon z5x5 and z7x5 series in terms of feel, distance and forgiveness? I'm trying to decide between the PTX Pros and a combo set of z5x5/z7x5 series.

I have some 765’s and demoed the Pro’s. IMO, the Pro’s are more forgiving and longer. They both feel pretty similar to me but I don’t hit the center of the face very often. I’ve never hit the 5 series Srixon’s so I can’t comment on those.

@LLIB, thanks for the quick reply. What shafts are in your 765s and PTX Pros? Are the lofts the same on both sets?

Thanks LLIB. What shafts are on your 765s and PTX Pros you demoed? Encouraged to hear that the PTXs go father than the Srixons - are the lofts the same?

Thanks LLIB. What shafts are on your 765s and PTX Pros you demoed? Encouraged to hear that the PTXs go father than the Srixons - are the lofts the same?

The lofts were the same. I have Elevate Tours in the 765’s. The Pro’s has KBS 90. I didn’t notice much difference in ball flight . The Pro’s flew a touch higher but not much. They got up quicker though. Judging by how they acted on approach shots they probably had more spin but I’m steep and spin the hell outta everything.

Im looking forward to a head to head comparison with my Mizuno Hot Metal Pro irons!

My set with Recoil 780 ES SW shafts is on the way!

Just swapped in some Project X LZ 6.5's to my set. I was enjoying hitting them with the KBS Tour V's, but somehow it just didn't feel quite right, so decided to switch in a shaft I know and love.

Can't wait to hit them this weekend!

Got a round in with the new shafts this weekend. Total game changer. The irons now feel fantastic on almost every swing (probably because I'm not striking it out of the toe every time now). Found the distance control to be great, the flight to be super consistent, and the feedback to be really good for an iron that isn't a solid/single piece forging. I was initially worried I wouldn't find these worth the upgrade from the original PTx, but now would say well worth it. Significantly more forgiving on heel and toe strikes.

I was finally able to put in a few rounds last week with the new sticks. The game is coming around as I haven't played a bunch since coming back from ShaftUp. Now I feel I can start to give real feedback on the new setup.

PTx Pro heads: As noted in my previous post, the lofts were a little weak on these compared to my Mizuno JPX 850 gamers. Putting the BH's in the bag as they came goofed up my gapping so I had them bent to match what I was playing. Now, we are good to go and everything falls into place. The PTx's have great feel and are rather forgiving to be honest. They do have a little smaller profile but nothing crazy. When setting up to the ball the heads frame the ball nicely. Top line is a little chunkier looking but again very playable. When hit correctly, there is really "no feel" of the ball letting you know you flushed it. They feel every bit as good as my Mizunos to be honest. I did bottom groove a few but wasn't punished distance wise. They are a beautiful looking head as well.

Shafts: The Recoil 110's are bada**. Very stable and feel a bit "boardy" to me which I actually like. They let you know that you can go down after it if you need to and still get the results you are seeking. The flight is totally different than the XP 105's that are in my gamers. I get a very nice penetrating flight with the Recoils versus a much higher flight with my gamers. There is no distance loss and actually the new setup is a touch longer. I have no problem stopping the ball on approach shots and my confidence when pin seeking is at an all time high.

Overall: The new setup is great but I am still getting used to it. They are fun to play and I am excited what the rest of the season will bring with them. If any of you are on the fence about trying these out I would say pull the trigger. BH has a great demo program as others have mentioned and these are worth a shot. As I am able to put in some more time with them I will report back.

I have to send back my demo irons today, really enjoyed them while I had them and I think they'll be a great set up for me in a few weeks.

I am about to box up my demo irons and send them back after my 2 week trial. I planned to review them as compared to my original PTx but unfortunately the review would mainly be about my dislike of the stock Lamkin grips. From the very first shot I felt the club twist in my hands during the swing. It has been very hot and humid in Houston lately and my hands have been sweaty. My other clubs with CP2 grips work just fine in these conditions but the Hogan grips are slick. I played 2 rounds with them in the bag and hit a few good shots but the slick grips were in my head and I avoided them unless the yardage was perfect.

I look forward to reading further reviews of these irons and apologize for not being able to contribute.

I have a demo set on the way, and will be happy to contribute my thoughts in here when I get them.

I am about to box up my demo irons and send them back after my 2 week trial. I planned to review them as compared to my original PTx but unfortunately the review would mainly be about my dislike of the stock Lamkin grips. From the very first shot I felt the club twist in my hands during the swing. It has been very hot and humid in Houston lately and my hands have been sweaty. My other clubs with CP2 grips work just fine in these conditions but the Hogan grips are slick. I played 2 rounds with them in the bag and hit a few good shots but the slick grips were in my head and I avoided them unless the yardage was perfect.

I look forward to reading further reviews of these irons and apologize for not being able to contribute.

I hated the Hogan/Lamkin grips at first, too. Felt very slick and actually gave me a blister during my first range session, which hasn't happened in a long while. I don't know if I've gotten used to them or they've worn in, but I actually have grown to like them a good bit.

Back