Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

So I made a change to my PTx Pros. I had the KBS Tour 90’s in them and swapped them out for the Mitsubishi iot85’s back in February. Those had no feel for me so I put the Tour 90’s back in. I struggled this year with a significant distance loss and continued to ponder another shaft option. Last week while clearing out some things in my work area in the basement, I uncovered a set of Accuflex 120g steel shafts I still had. I had used this shaft before when I built previous sets so I am familiar with them.
Measured them to length, tipped them to a “firm” flex, finished them with some silver/black BB&F ferrules and installed them.
What a pleasant surprise. I don’t feel like I have to get after the ball now, smooth swing, and I’m seeing the distance I expect from each club.
Nothing like a little “refresh” to get the confidence back into one of my favorites!

My PTx Pro irons are back in the bag after flirting with Mizuno 921 HMP irons for a few months. They didn't give me anything more than the Hogans do in terms of distance, dispersion and forgiveness and they don't have that sweet Hogan feel.

Putting these in the bag today, been a long while and looking forward to it. Maybe should have picked an easier course to brush the dust off;)

Putting these in the bag today, been a long while and looking forward to it. Maybe should have picked an easier course to brush the dust off;)
…but they are such a fun set of clubs to hit!

• Appreciation
Reactions: J4U
Bit of a long shot but if anyone has a chrome 4 iron head lying around I'd be interested in taking it off their hands. I'd entertain one with a lighter steel shaft as well. PM me.

Enjoyed them so much, think I'll do it again tomorrow morning!;). The 5.5 hour round not so much😔. Getting out much earlier tomorrow.

They felt fantastic! Shaft is a little lighter and ½ flex softer than the ZX7's so I think it's worth getting after it again. The guy swinging was a bit off though🤣

Last edited:
@J4U i only stopped playing my PTxPro for 2 reasons: shaft got too stiff as I got slower, and free Titleist t300s. :p Still have the Hogans. Might have to reshaft them and see what happens…..

@J4U i only stopped playing my PTxPro for 2 reasons: shaft got too stiff as I got slower, and free Titleist t300s. :p Still have the Hogans. Might have to reshaft them and see what happens…..
I think you know a guy with a sweet gig that could do it for you;)

I forgot how these irons perform! Think they are wanting to go to Ballyhack!

Have lost some speed and the lighter shaft and tad softer flex is really a nice help.

Plus, the black is so hot!

Hmmmm may put my PTx Pro's in the bag for tomorrow. I think they either need a reshaft or lie adjustment. I'll try to get that figured out.

• Appreciation
Although I am no longer necessarily a strong performer, these irons certainly are. Tried to go down a different path last year (Mizuno JPX 921 HMP) but they were just not the same or better so it didn't take long to go back to the PTx Pros. Going to try some iron ball striking drills to try get my path and swing back to hopefully regain the magic with these I saw 4 years ago when I got them.

Hit my PTX pros the other day at the range, great irons, been awhile since I have played them in a round though, may have to do that.

Just thinking how good these irons were. Sad what happened to Ben Hogan Golf.

Do you still have yours, maybe take them to "The Match"

I traded them for the Hogan Edge EX irons. Never should have done that. PTx Pros were way better than the Edge EX.

I miss these irons.

Two of my biggest issues with the PTx Pros when I played them in the past was 1- they are really weak lofted compared to modern day irons and 2- Ben Hogan never offered a set matching gap wedge. We were able to fix both of those issues by changing the lofts. This new UiHi/PTx Pro combo set is based off of the Callaway Apex 19 lofts and should put them in line with most new irons as far as loft/distance.

Two of my biggest issues with the PTx Pros when I played them in the past was 1- they are really weak lofted compared to modern day irons and 2- Ben Hogan never offered a set matching gap wedge. We were able to fix both of those issues by changing the lofts. This new UiHi/PTx Pro combo set is based off of the Callaway Apex 19 lofts and should put them in line with most new irons as far as loft/distance.
But they look so good tho right?

Back