Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

You may want to think about the UiHi 5,, and it's a shame they don't have that club in a 6 as the early data would suggest you need the most help there.
If you are working working with a Pro he may want to take a look at how the 5 and 6i are set up. A different shaft may help you make a better swing with those. The performance vs the 7 iron suggest you just are not comfortable with how they are setup for you.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Not comfortable is a very correct statement. I'm working to finally use my lower body properly. I tend to over swinging the 4, 5, and 6i more often, thus completely kill those clubs performance. When I do remember my tempo and execute a controlled swing...I hit them well.

Not comfortable is a very correct statement. I'm working to finally use my lower body properly. I tend to over swinging the 4, 5, and 6i more often, thus completely kill those clubs performance. When I do remember my tempo and execute a controlled swing...I hit them well.
I do a ton of club building and have definitely seen improved results in going lighter with the long irons.
Your driver shaft is lighter than your three wood. Your 3 wood shaft is lighter than your hybrids. Your hybrids are lighter than your irons. Why then do we break that trend and make our irons all the same weight in shafts.
Its an option and turns into a bit of an experiment. But done right its a revelation.

I do a ton of club building and have definitely seen improved results in going lighter with the long irons.
Your driver shaft is lighter than your three wood. Your 3 wood shaft is lighter than your hybrids. Your hybrids are lighter than your irons. Why then do we break that trend and make our irons all the same weight in shafts.
Its an option and turns into a bit of an experiment. But done right its a revelation.

Im sure you're correct. I just don't think I'm at the level of consistent play to warrant that level of fine tuning.

Plus.....you can't even take the 1 of 10 custom recoil Proto F4/95s from my cold dead hands. ;)

I do the same thing my friend. I just can't shake the mentality of "hit ball far" when I have any long iron in my hand 🤦‍♂️

Im sure you're correct. I just don't think I'm at the level of consistent play to warrant that level of fine tuning.

Plus.....you can't even take the 1 of 10 custom recoil Proto F4/95s from my cold dead hands. ;)
Ooohhh.. yah can't mess with that cool factor of limited run gear.

Ooohhh.. yah can't mess with that cool factor of limited run gear.

Hey Popeye, have you posted a comparison of the PTX Pro to the TS2 in here anywhere? I've finally decided to consider alternatives to my STi2 set, and these two are high on my list?

Hey Popeye, have you posted a comparison of the PTX Pro to the TS2 in here anywhere? I've finally decided to consider alternatives to my STi2 set, and these two are high on my list?
No I had not done a direct between those two as they really fall in two distinctly different categories. So here goes.
The TS-2 vs the PTx Pro go about things in stark differences.
Top line on the TS-2 is nearly twice as wide. Looking down at the two back to back would remind someone of a pure blade vs UGI design. Yet the PTx Pro is not a razer thin top line, yet comparatively it is.
The sole of the TS-2 is much wider as well. Though the two tackle turf interaction in the same way with a relieved leading edge. Both designs are very turf friendly and a digger does well with both. But the TS-2 also has a longer blade length. To the eye it's a lot. Couple that to its wider sole and its easier to hit from the cabbage. Sort of glides over wet or heavy grass.
Internal construction of the two vary also. The TS-2 uses a foam type material in the hollow structure through the whole set. But they are a true forged multi piece design. The PTx Pros are 3 piece forged PW-8 that are nearly solid. They then transition to a hollow 7-4 with no goo in between.
The TS-2 has a softer feel across the face as well as being more forgiving across the face. The PTx Pros offer a crisper feel. A lot of feedback on contact that isn't crisp but not in a negative way. Well stuck shots are very pleasing through the hands.
Loft wise the TS-2 are modern day strong with gaps that vary as well. A high of 5° gaps in the short irons and a low of 3° gaps in the long irons. BALL GO FAR!!! The PTx Pros are 4° gaps through the entire set. To me... thats how it should be. 4°.
As for playability the higher cap player should go with the TS-2. The guy who needs help should stay there. But if you want a set of irons that really rewards good strikes. That offers precise iron play. That gives you that tingly feel when you nail a perfect shot... the PTx Pros offer a satisfaction that can NOT be matched by the Maltbys.
My proximity to the hole is WAY closer with the Hogans. My only issue can be when my swing beaks down and I lower my hands... I'm the mayor of Shanksville!! I can be sloppy with the Maltbys and not get punished.
So it's two completely different designs. The Maltby TS-1 irons are a much closer comparison in every aspect.
For a cool factor... no one looks twice at the Maltbys in the bag.... People get excited when they see the Hogans!!!
If you compared the two to buyers of Ford vehicles the guy buying the Mustang takes the Hogans. The guy buying an Edge buys the TS-2s.

Round 1 (via sim) for the year is in the books with the PTX Pros. We played TPC Sawgrass on the sim, and overall I was very pleased with the performance. We didn't quite make it through 18, so we wound up skipping 15 and 16 to get to the Island green. Spoiler, I did not hit it lol. I think the part that made me happiest with the performance was there were no giant slices with them. Probably the best shot of the round was a 6iron from 200 out that found the middle of the green. It will definitely be interesting to get these out on the course, especially with the Shot Scope sensors installed. This simulator had me about 5-10 yards short of what I've been seeing at LGS when I hit balls. I'm not sure if that's a matter of getting into a groove with one club and thus making more consistent contact, or maybe the balls at the simulator, who knows. Either way, the excitement level is ramped up even a slight bit higher after getting a little closer to real golf with these. My distances need to be dialed in but the directional aspect was very satisfying.

@OhioGolfer have you noticed anything since bending your irons 2° stronger?

Hadn't played or practiced with these irons in a while as my last few outings with them at the end of last season we did not get along. Today it was raining so decided to go play some sim golf and break these babies back out. Today they were doing everything I wanted them to do. They are a little shorter than my Apex CF19s but my dispersion with these is a little tighter. It feels so good when hitting them pure and reminded me why I loved playing with them. So with the season starting up soon here in MN what will wind the bag battle.

Well it's been minute since I posted in here because in all honesty after my sim round my swing took what appeared to be a one way trip to hell, but it looks like it found it's way home 🤞🤞

Just finished four rounds with these and when my swing came around they performed very well. Now that I've got things more in order I can say that at this moment I'm a club to club and half behind my old GI shovels. This makes sense given these aren't loft jacked like my old clubs were, and I could see picking up another 5-10 yards as I get more comfortable with the new swing. Thanks to Shotscope I've got a pretty comfortable idea what my distances are and I'm perfectly satisfied. The gapping is right on point (P-Ave stats below) These continue to be the best feeling clubs I've ever hit when you flush one and I can't wait to see where they take me next 😬
Screenshot_20210522-132637_Shot Scope.jpg

Since my new clubs are in the shop, the hogans are back in the bag today. Like seeing an old friend. I still hit these better than any club I ever owned, including the new Srixons.

91B539F9-D5F6-409E-ABFA-811B218A50B4.jpeg

I'm really impressed with the finish on these.
I have maybe 24-25 rounds on mine and they are holding up so well.

The only place they have worn thru is on the 7iron when I accidentally hit off some pebbles 😟
I just went over the dings with a bluing pen and it blends in pretty well.

It it’s nuts how durable and GOOD the DBM finish is. Best iron finish out there for my money. Your bag looks great @BigDill, PTX Pro just flat play.

Given the more traditional lofts on these, does anyone have an idea how they might compare distance-wise with the Apex CF19s? I'm really tempted by these!

Given the more traditional lofts on these, does anyone have an idea how they might compare distance-wise with the Apex CF19s? I'm really tempted by these!
They will be about one club shorter compared to the CF19s. I personally see Hogans having more height and a better right to left shape for me, but I’m not exactly the best golfer. I love the 4 and 5 irons in the set, and I think they may be the best of any 4 and 5 iron I have ever hit.

They will be about one club shorter compared to the CF19s.
Thanks for the input! I'm not sure my ego will let me accept hitting my irons a club shorter! :LOL::LOL: I guess if I were to get them I could have them adjusted 2° stronger which would minimize the distance loss at least.

I'm also thinking of going with the KBS Tour 90 shafts, R Flex. A buddy of mine who I used to play just about all my golf with (he moved to SC) re-shafted his Rogue irons going from the Recoil F2 to those KBS shafts in R flex and claims to be hitting the ball much farther. Maybe the "try before you buy" option is the way to go before making a final decision.

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure my ego will let me accept hitting my irons a club shorter! :LOL::LOL: I guess if I were to get them I could have them adjusted 2° stronger which would minimize the distance loss at least.

I'm also thinking of going with the KBS Tour 90 shafts, R Flex. A buddy of mine who I used to play just about all my golf with (he moved to SC) re-shafted his Rogue irons going from the Recoil F2 to those KBS shafts in R flex and claims to be hitting the ball much farther. Maybe the "try before you buy" option is the way to go before making a final decision.
A lot of people have bent them strong. I think @Jman did that, IIRC. That said, maybe 1 club is a bit of an over statement. They were about 1 club shorter compared to my Forged Tecs, but about 1/2 a club shorter compared to my Srixon ZX set.

All of that said, it really isn’t an issue. I am hitting the 7i 170, and the PW 115. It’s not like these are short by any means. Plus, my draw is much more playable with the PTx Pros. I wish more people would give these a shot because what is amazing about these clubs is their ball flight.

They are about a half a club shorter than my jpx ez forged at the top of the set for me.
Not a huge adjustment to be honest

I mentioned above, but I'm a club to club and half from my Burner 2.0s in real life (I don't trust sim numbers anymore lol). If you're familiar with these, this was kind of the peak of the change the lofts to get maximum numbers out of your 7 iron era. I've been working a new swing and have been trying to temper my swing as I ingrain the feel so I expect there's another 5 yards per club at minimum once I can start to ramp up the tempo a bit more.

I am looking forward to comparing my PTx Pros to the new EDGE EX!

Today after the 4th shaft change... these have been a test mule head for me.. I shot lights out for a -3 69. Went birdie, birdie, bogey, eagle before setting down for even the rest of the way. Few birdies and a few bogeys but the PTX Pros were awesome.
The shaft I'm rocking right now are Xcaliber Rti 95 S but label down... which makes a big change in how they play. They CPM quite a bit lower but in a good way. Knocking down the pin all day long. Not sure I've hit the ball straighter for 18 holes. Putter held me back in a way but was burning the edge every where. Only bogeys were driver related and one three putt.

Little bump for the Ben Hogan Experience. I have a feeling these will be a popular choice. Heart is saying Icon, head is saying PTx Pro. Maybe a combo is the compromise???
Thanks for the bump (my search skills on THP are awful). These are my top choice right now, but the players combo (with the ICON) is very tempting. My immediate thought is pairing these with the UST Recoil 780F4 and having an all-blackout bag of irons 🔥 (if we get shaft options). Will be all over these Ben Hogan threads for the next few weeks.

Anyone have thoughts on the BH grip that comes with these irons compared to the GP MCC+4? I’ve been using the +4 for a few years now and I’m thinking mid-size might be the way to go.

Back