Best budget balls for senior with slow swing speed?

deepakvrao

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My swing speed is at about 80mph, though am working on getting it higher. Just got back into golf after 20 years away. I read everywhere that with slow swing speeds 2 piece balls are better. Is that true? I was looking at Kirklands and the Callaway Warbirds. Both are about a dollar fifty each, while the Kirklands are a 3 piece ball. Will that cost me distance?

Any other balls that might be better for me for distance?

Edit: Dont mind not so budget balls if I can gain distance off the tee.

Callaway Super Soft

And welcome back to the game

TaylorMade Distance+ is what my slow swinging friend plays.

3 piece balls are helpful if you want balls to hop and stop on the green with your irons and wedges.
Not so much if your game is to bump and run and use long clubs to roll the ball onto the green to squeeze out a little more distance.

Kirklands and Warbirds are high compression balls best suited for high swing speeds.
The Supersoft is very popular but you should be able to find something that gives you more distance with your swing speed.

Cheaper 2 piece balls are optimized for straight ball flight rather than working the ball like the pros.
This is great for keeping the ball on the fairway. Most beginners hit the ball harder than I do but slice the ball into the woods.
If you do hit a tree, cheaper 2 piece balls have durable covers that are less likely to be damaged by that contact.

Last edited:
As I've aged my swing speed has decreased. I hit a driver about 200 and have found Callaway SuperSoft to work well for me in a budget ball. Titelist Trufeel as well. I like to play a more costly ball somedays so I have found that the ProVI and Vice Pro are really good.

Mafli Softfli or StraightFli Both are great balls and when they are on sale are a great value.

The Precept Laddie made by Bridgestone is a popular model of golf ball in our Men’s group among the older guys looking for a bit more distance while also maintaining a softer feel all at a good value.

Callaway Supersoft is the #1 selling ball in golf for a reason. (y)

Callaway supersoft.

Hi Guys,

My swing speed is at about 80mph, though am working on getting it higher. Just got back into golf after 20 years away. I read everywhere that with slow swing speeds 2 piece balls are better. Is that true? I was looking at Kirklands and the Callaway Warbirds. Both are about a dollar fifty each, while the Kirklands are a 3 piece ball. Will that cost me distance?

Any other balls that might be better for me for distance?

Edit: Dont mind not so budget balls if I can gain distance off the tee.
Welcome back to golf. The game missed you in your absence.

I too have a slower swing speed. I have also tried various softer model balls due to the longer distance hype.

When I say tried out, I mean I give them a thorough work out. Off the tee, off the turf, around, and on the green. Usually a 30+ day try out.

I have been an e6 bridgestone loyalist for quite a while. It was the best all around ball I tried once they discontinued the e7.
I still have a few dozen waiting to be played.

One day while in Walmart, I was looking for a cheapie, soft, practice ball. What can I say. I like practicing with new golf balls.

I found a box of 15 Pinnacle Soft balls for $19. I would save $5 over the e6, plus get 3 extra balls. Figured why not, bought 45 new practice balls.

A pleasant surprise developed while practicing with these balls. After a few weeks of play, and practice I found that with my swing, the Pinnacles played the same as the Bridgestone balls. Even had one of my better scoring rounds with a Pinnacle Soft.

So imo, a returning, or new budget minded golfer, looking for a good 2 piece soft ball, should give the Pinnacle Soft a try. If nothing else they make for a good practice ball.

Callaway Super Soft

And welcome back to the game

I agree on both! You can’t go wrong with Callaway Super Soft

Wilson Staff Duo was my goto for a soft ball. They’re excellent and are often overlooked.

Bridgestone TreoSoft
Srixon Soft Feel
Wilson Duo Soft+

Super Soft
Noodle

I have a mid 80s swinging speed with my driver. I did a ball review a couple of weeks ago. You could check it out.

Titleist Trufeel or Srixon Q-star.

Precept Laddie’s are dirt cheap, not sure if they would hurt your distance.

TaylorMade Distance+ is what my slow swinging friend plays.
Yes, I use these most of the time with 78 mph driver swing speed. They are often on sale at Dick's at $35 / 2 dozen. They go far off the driver, behave reasonably well on the greens, and are very durable.

Wilson Staff Duo was my goto for a soft ball. They’re excellent and are often overlooked.
Those are great, but are a bit hard to find at the usual stores in my experience.

I have a swing speed in the low to mid 80s. I have played the Super Soft as one of my ball choices for the last few years.

I have a swing speed in the low to mid 80s. I have played the Super Soft as one of my ball choices for the last few years.
I like those too and their matte finish soft cover makes them very durable. Usually priced at $25 per dozen.

I like those too and their matte finish soft cover makes them very durable. Usually priced at $25 per dozen.
I play the yellow.

Back