Best coastal Golf destination (USA)

alaskaguy2021

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all!
Looking to find a golf trip destination for me and my buddy this September. Brandon Dunes is pretty much booked for the rest of 2024 and Pebble wont let you play unless you stay at their stupid expensive hotel it looks like? ALso we have both played Hawaii extensively so not really looking at that for one of the options. So would like some input on other destinations...below are the criteria im looking for and please read that before posting suggestions ;)

right now I am kind of leaning twords TPC Sawgrass

• Coastal location so we can enjoy some sun and beach time after the rounds
  • planning to play 4 different courses
  • Would like for one of the courses to be a TPC or a bucket list if possible (bucket list being something on the lines of Pebble beach or Torrey Pines)
  • would be nice if it was close to a major city (we are coming from AK, so travel is already expensive, and if we have to take a secondary flight or drive 3 hours from the airport that adds alot)

cheers and thanks for any inputs!

Kiawah is excellent. Hilton Head Sea Pines with Harbortown.

San Diego would be good. As long as you're willing to drive an hour or two, there's plenty of top-notch courses available. Of course Pacific Ocean beaches and cold water isn't quite the same as Atlantic/Gulf beaches and warm water, so you might want to take that into consideration.

I'd say Los Cabos if it weren't for the month you're planning; September is the worst month here for weather and for golf.

Hilton Head. Great courses and relatively affordable.

Naples, FL. Lots of great courses you can get on in September. They have a TPC course and Old Corkscrew is near bucket list level. Can buy S FL Golf Pass for discount and access to some of the courses. Beaches are nice too. Can fly into Fort Myers, a short drive away.

Naples, FL. Lots of great courses you can get on in September. They have a TPC course and Old Corkscrew is near bucket list level. Can buy S FL Golf Pass for discount and access to some of the courses. Beaches are nice too. Can fly into Fort Myers, a short drive away.
Which courses do you recommend in Naples?

Kiawah is excellent. Hilton Head Sea Pines with Harbortown.
This. Hilton head has many many courses after sea pines. Kiawah has enough to meet your goal but they can be very pricey.

This. Hilton head has many many courses after sea pines. Kiawah has enough to meet your goal but they can be very pricey.

We ( sister and brother) have had a house in Hilton Head Plantation off of Bear Island Rd for 4 years since our mother passed. There are a lot of courses in that area, on and off the island. The issue these days, is the crazy traffic in and out of the area on its lone highway, which makes for some huge delays and the crowds during season and over development.. Its getting rather nuts.

September is right in the middle of hurricane season. If you plan on the southeast portion of the country, make sure you get travel insurance. In the days before the weather channel and the internet, I had 3 different trips planned for September cancelled because of hurricanes.

We ( sister and brother) have had a house in Hilton Head Plantation off of Bear Island Rd for 4 years since our mother passed. There are a lot of courses in that area, on and off the island. The issue these days, is the crazy traffic in and out of the area on its lone highway, which makes for some huge delays and the crowds during season and over development.. Its getting rather nuts.
Oddly, we go, ironically, from near kiawah, twice a year. HH marathon and The Heritage. Have not seen it being terrible yet. Kiawah, on the other hand can be hour on hour off on any given day at any given time. We almost bought on island and thank our lucky stars daily that we chose off island for that very reason.

Destin FL.

Not a true bucket list course but there are multiple extremely nice courses and there is an airport close.

Last edited:
Kiawah and Sea Island jump to mind. If you want to spend less than Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach.

Oddly, we go, ironically, from near kiawah, twice a year. HH marathon and The Heritage. Have not seen it being terrible yet. Kiawah, on the other hand can be hour on hour off on any given day at any given time. We almost bought on island and thank our lucky stars daily that we chose off island for that very reason.

We go up and about 6 times or more a year. Sometimes just for a fast trip to work on sprinklers, met with the AC guy for service etc.. And to just take a little break. Traffic, the wife was up there last Oct, took her 1.15 mins from 95 to our turn at squire pope rd, that's 19 miles give or take a 1/2 mile or so. The huge backups at Rose Hill, and Buckwater are common these days, and if the school buses are running on my. .

We go up and about 6 times or more a year. Sometimes just for a fast trip to work on sprinklers, met with the AC guy for service etc.. And to just take a little break. Traffic, the wife was up there last Oct, took her 1.15 mins from 95 to our turn at squire pope rd, that's 19 miles give or take a 1/2 mile or so. The huge backups at Rose Hill, and Buckwater are common these days, and if the school buses are running on my. .
We’re going next month. I’ll keep an eye out.

I'm playing Haig Pt, Callawassie Island and Old South end of March.

I'm playing Haig Pt, Callawassie Island and Old South end of March.
I’ve played old South (i think) long long ago. Wish I was golfing sooner than later!

September is right in the middle of hurricane season. If you plan on the southeast portion of the country, make sure you get travel insurance. In the days before the weather channel and the internet, I had 3 different trips planned for September cancelled because of hurricanes.
This is solid advice.
Destin FL.

Not a true bucket list course but there are multiple extremely nice courses and there is an airport close.
Destin is a lot of fun with some fun courses. For the money, it's hard to beat Windswept Dunes. Even getting on Camp Creek, it may not be the bang he is looking for though.

I’ve played old South (i think) long long ago. Wish I was golfing sooner than later!
You and I have had tough roads. I broke my leg/ankle and haven't played in 4 months. Longest stretch for me since 1993. But have some nice stuff planned in near future. How's your rehab going?

This is solid advice.

Destin is a lot of fun with some fun courses. For the money, it's hard to beat Windswept Dunes. Even getting on Camp Creek, it may not be the bang he is looking for though.
Agreed was just throwing a different idea out there. Kelly plantation, sandestin, regatta bay, and even Indian bayou would all be fun then throw in windswept dunes and it could be a blast.

Two places which are fabulous during good weather. ie April thru October. Atlantic City with about a dozen really good courses and Ocean City Maryland again with about a dozen really good courses. Both those areas you have great accomodation options via Houses for big groups[8] and good hotels for less and rounds will be about $100 each. Have done those two areas often and they work great for buddie groups.

Back