best ever swinger of a golf club ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Many people consider Sam Snead's golf swing to be the best:

there’s ben hogan, and there’s everybody else

Many people consider Sam Snead's golf swing to be the best:

I could watch him swing all day. Such a smooth tempo.

I would probably break it down by era. Hogan and Snead were both poetry in motion in the hey day.

My biggest influence in my swing in the early days of playing was watching Freddie Couples. So easy, so smooth, so much power. I wanted to swing like him so bad.

More modern times, I am fascinated with Rory's swing. It just looks like perfection. Even more so than Tigers.

Hogan was the greatest!

That was a lovely video, thanks for posting. Truly fluid, powerful and graceful. Impeccable.

Cool video, thanks for sharing it. I wonder what the modern pro would say about his lead heal lift at the top of the backswing?

What a GREAT video to watch. Thanks. I suppose it comes down to what you want to see in the swing. Poetry in motion, it has to be Snead. Intensity, maybe Hogan. Ability to adjust over time, Tiger or Watson. Consistency, nobody else was even in the same Zip Code as Moe Norman. Doubt that? Watch the videos and read the stories. No one has had such complete mastery of his swing as Norman did.

there’s ben hogan, and there’s everybody else
I’m a Hogan guy too. I’ll take the Hawk’s swing every day all day.

My first instructor told me stories about how back in the day caddies would retrieve their player’s balls on the range. Not Hogan, he’d have his caddie stand at certain yardages and hit the ball into a basket being held by the caddie. Maybe my instructor was blowing smoke up my arse...but it was a great story either way.

Tiger when he was with Butch is my favourite golf swing. That is the swing that was the model for the current crop of talent in their 20's competing on the current world professional tours.

I really liked how smooth and flowing Payne Stewart's swing was.

It's tough to beat Ben Hogan's swing. My favorite to watch though is Fred Couples.

I could watch Boom Boom, Rory, and Adam Scott swing the club all day! So smooth and powerful!!

Hogan said it was “Wild” Bill Melhorn. Great ball striker, but couldn’t putt worth a darn. Nonetheless he had 20 wins, placing him in the top 38 ever (same number as Greg Norman). Anyway he was Ben Hogan’s pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always funny to me to see everyone go to swings of yesteryear for these types of questions. Not saying Hogan doesn't have a great swing, obviously he did, but it's basically saying IMO that we haven't learned anything and gotten better since then.

Hard to argue for me that early to mid 2000's Tiger Woods had the best swing of all time. It produced the best results, and at the time, was one of if not the longest on tour, while being one of the most accurate iron strikers of all time.

Hogan, Snead and Jones.

Hogan is the obvious choice I reckon. Byron Nelson was pretty good too.

I would take 2001 Tiger over them all. Then Snead, Hogan's swing was so specific to him because he was very short and very strong. Will I am a fan of Hogan, there is a bit too much of a Paul Bunyan persona for me. The Mr. stuff and whatnot I dunno, it has just always rubbed me the wrong way.

Snead has always looked like the best to me. I also like Norman, Phil, Rory and some guy at the range who I dont know. Bottom line is I like what I like. Almost forgot Jason Day from a few years back. He looked better in Adidas clothing versus Nike. Maybe that changed his swing. It did look more aggressive.

What is meant by “best ever swinger of the golf club”? That’s kinda vague.

if it’s the best looking swing I could see Snead or Adam Scott or someone like Louis Ousthuizen.

if it’s “best ball striker” ever, then it’s hard to argue against Hogan or Tiger Woods. Hogan seemed to be more consistent over a longer time vs Woods

If we are just going by a golfer's swing, and not. Tour wins, then Moe Norman has to be at the top of the list.

Even Hogan said Norman's ball flights were more accurate than anyone he ever played against. He also said he didn't like playing in the same tournaments as Norman. Rumor was he didn't think Norman belong on the tour due his ubique mannerisms.

Tiger Woods said that only two players totally owned their own swings. Those being Norman, and Hogan.

The PGA even acknowledged that even though being unique, Norman's swing was viable, and should not be over looked from a learning stand point.

Just one more tid bit from Norman. In a book about his swing, Norman allegedly mentioned that a golfer by the name of "Count Yogi" had what he considered the best swing in golf.

My personal vote would go to Norman's swing, which should not be compared to today's "Natural Golf" swing imo...

Ellen Nordegren :cool:

Hogan pure and simple, the best.
Others? more current players,
Woods in his prime
Rory's power for a small guy is unreal
The Big Easy, Smooth
Faldo, I just liked it
Couples Tempo

Sam Snead

i've always enjoyed watching Els swing. The Big Easy makes it look that way

Back