Best Italian Dish?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a fun discussion tonight around Italian food and the many great dishes.

Assuming we remove pizza from the equation, what is the best Italian dish and why?

Mine is chicken parm. Crispy chicken and cheese is a good combo on a bed of Alfredo.

Chicken Cacciatore

it reminds me of a funny joe torre joke i heard from my dad

• Admin
IMO you can not beat a good veal saltimbocca. Just melts in your mouth with a great blend of flavor. Runner up would have to be my grandmother's lasagna.

Ravioli. Simple but good and can have so many different insides from meats to cheeses.

Eggplant 🍆 parm. The official meal of Team Hackers.

Bistecca alla Siciliana with a side of white cavatelli pasta!
60BA8126-6297-4B19-B355-C5CE9D9E47F3.jpeg

Veal Scallopini is my favorite.

Handmade gnocchi each piece individually hand rolled by my aunt (Zia Enricetta) topped with a bowl of various meats (combo veal/pork meatballs, brazzole, and spareribs) cooked by my grandma (nanny albina) which sat for hours in a home made tomato sauce made by my mom. Accompanied with a little hand (or foot) made vino by my great grandfather (Nonno Michele) and homemade bread from my great grandmother (Nanna Cristina)

it was to die for.

I’ll go with a really good fresh pasta with bolognese sauce. Classic and so good.

honestly ...can there really be a best? there are a hundred favorites.

but when i dine out I tend to like seafood/patsa dishes as a general favorite. Not always ordering them but think perhaps linguini and clam sauce which I often order. or perhaps a spicy seafood fra diavolo with clams muscles shrimp, calamari over linguini (or similar pasta). I order that just as often too if available.
Another favorite is Carbonara (perhaps with fettuccini) if it can be found at a place that makes it good. I tend to like things with prosciutto in them.

Ravioli. Simple but good and can have so many different insides from meats to cheeses.

I agree with this one. So many options and so good!

I'm partial to my college roommates grandmothers spaghetti with home made sauce and sausage. So good.

Chicken Parmesan

I grew up eating my Mom's homemade manicotti over homemade red sauce with locally made Italian Sausage, and garlic bread.

Tough to beat.

When I go out, I have had Osso Bucco ... really good.

Lasagna is hard to beat! I like a good meatball as well.

Actual Italian? Or American-Italian?

The best single bite of food I had in Italy was Baci di dama. It's two buttery sweet cookies with hazlenut spread between them. Absolutely divine. Pasta alla Gricia is probably my favorite as far as dinners go. Best American style dish is chicken parm.

Toasted ravioli

Back