Best potato chip flavor?

Either McCoys Flame Grilled Steak, or Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail would be my first choices

Pringles are good but it never seems like you have enough of them, and lately I have taken to enjoying Brannigan's Smoked Ham & Pickle

Nearby Saratoga Springs, NY, BTW, is the birthplace of the potato chip. All because a customer complained that his fried potatoes were too thick and after about three rejections, the cook fried wafer-thin slices because he was really annoyed with the picky customer.

Depends on whether or not you believe everything on the internet I guess, as there was a cookbook first published in 1817 that included a recipe for potato chips that was a bestseller in both the UK and US and was published before the supposed inventor of them was even born

A good Jalapeno kettle chip will always win me over. After that, Ruffles are my go to chip of choice.

Either McCoys Flame Grilled Steak, or Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail would be my first choices

Pringles are good but it never seems like you have enough of them, and lately I have taken to enjoying Brannigan's Smoked Ham & Pickle

Depends on whether or not you believe everything on the internet I guess, as there was a cookbook first published in 1817 that included a recipe for potato chips that was a bestseller in both the UK and US and was published before the supposed inventor of them was even born

First off, my daughter studied for a semester in Leeds in 2007. When we visited, I was inpressed by the wide variety of potato chip flavors. I only had the steak flavor and they were great.

As far as the invention story, I can tell you that the story around here predates the internet and almost certainly even Al Gore, said internet's self-proclaimed inventor. Of course, we also claim the invention of baseball, and I won't even restart the debate over whether Kelley or Bessemer developed the first practical steel converter. Honestly the first time I saw the cookbook information, and so I have yet again learned something today. The Saratoga anecdote is well-documented - i.e. It occurred - but it does not appear to have been the first. Reminds me of a provocative quote by my Economics prof at the end of an especially dry lecture: "And so we see there are many ways to calculate Gross National Product (as known then). In many ways, calculating GNP is like s**: every time you think of a new way to do it, you find out it's already been done before."

Last edited:
I'm old school. I still love sour cream & onion. My favorite.

Or just plain Ruffls with a can of that Frito Lay Jalapeno and cheddar dip. Cheesy crack!

Last edited:
Salt and Vinegar are my favorite.

Potato chip flavor -

Sour Cream and Cheddar.

Now, if we are talking chips in general, that is another entirely different discussion....

Kettle Chips are always good and the spicier flavor the better!

All dressed and salt and vinegar

Better Made Red Hot Barbeque Chips.

51mfy0Ev3vL.jpg

Technically speaking, Pringles don't qualify as potato chips.

Sour Cream & Cheddar easily my favorite

Are they not made with Potato's?

They are made with potatoes, but Uncle Sam has decided that in order to be called a potato chip, you must use thin slices of potato. If you look at a pringles can they are called crisps.

BBQ Kettle Chips

First off, my daughter studied for a semester in Leeds in 2007. When we visited, I was inpressed by the wide variety of potato chip flavors. I only had the steak flavor and they were great.

As far as the invention story, I can tell you that the story around here predates the internet and almost certainly even Al Gore, said internet's self-proclaimed inventor. Of course, we also claim the invention of baseball, and I won't even restart the debate over whether Kelley or Bessemer developed the first practical steel converter. Honestly the first time I saw the cookbook information, and so I have yet again learned something today. The Saratoga anecdote is well-documented - i.e. It occurred - but it does not appear to have been the first. Reminds me of a provocative quote by my Economics prof at the end of an especially dry lecture: "And so we see there are many ways to calculate Gross National Product (as known then). In many ways, calculating GNP is like s**: every time you think of a new way to do it, you find out it's already been done before."
I certainly wasn't inferring anything, it is yet another of those things that has various different stories about its origin

Regardless of where they originated there are many tasty flavours and from reading this thread it seems different places around the globe have their own particular flavours that can't be purchased elsewhere

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm going to go with "salt." In other words, I just prefer plain ol' Lays.

All Dressed followed closely by Salt & Vinegar.

I certainly wasn't inferring anything, it is yet another of those things that has various different stories about its origin

Regardless of where they originated there are many tasty flavours and from reading this thread it seems different places around the globe have their own particular flavours that can't be purchased elsewhere

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I didn't take your comments in a negative way at all. I definitely learned something. And we certainly agree on the statements in bold.

Hawaiian Sweet Maui Onion Kettle Chips, followed by Lay's Mesquite BBQ Kettle Chips.

Those Maui Onion chips are money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to go with "salt." In other words, I just prefer plain ol' Lays.

it's like crack that makes you fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah well, that's just kind of like your opinion man.

Before it was SNAC International, it was the Snack Food Association, before that the Potato Chip Snack Food Association, and before that the Potato Chip Institute International. THOSE guys fought like crazy to prevent P&G from calling Pringle's "potato chips." I know this because P&G recruited heavily on our campus and a P&G engineer from our school did most of the process work to develop the process to make that stackable shape.

That doesn't mean they aren't chips . . . .

Back